Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: YES - Heaven & Earth / Studio Album Follow-up

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    ^^ "Wasteland of Greatness" sounds like a best of Spinal Tap comp...
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd be afraid of falling asleep at the wheel if I listened to it in the car.
    That very real possibility not withstanding, I have no idea how playing H&E while driving would make the experience any better. I can see how some hard-driving, uptempo rock music might be more appealing while driving, but that's not really H&E.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    That very real possibility not withstanding, I have no idea how playing H&E while driving would make the experience any better. I can see how some hard-driving, uptempo rock music might be more appealing while driving, but that's not really H&E.
    To each his own

I take a drive in the country in my high end ride every Sunday out to my buds house to hang and watch sports, and I would estimate that H & E has been a part of the ride, at least one way, 17 of the last 20 weeks or so

Still loving it

One man's wasteland is another man's paradise, I've been on board since 74 and this is a pretty great time to be a Yesfan from where I sit

YMHYV

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Nice!

Well wasn't Yes the inspiration for Spinal Tap?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Don't cry. Don't raise your eye. It's only greatness wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    To each his own

I take a drive in the country in my high end ride every Sunday out to my buds house to hang and watch sports, and I would estimate that H & E has been a part of the ride, at least one way, 17 of the last 20 weeks or so

Still loving it

One man's wasteland is another man's paradise, I've been on board since 74 and this is a pretty great time to be a Yesfan from where I sit

YMHYV

BG
    Of course, if you like the album in general, than you'd probably get around to playing it in your car at some point. But I was responding to the idea that there is something about H&E that makes it particularly suitable to being heard while driving, for an album that the poster claimed otherwise "hasn't held up in dedicated listening sessions." I don't really get what those objective qualities could be, other than that he identified the songs as having simple, singable choruses that appeal to his young kids.

I haven't got young kids to entertain on my rides, so those aspects of the album wouldn't increase its car desirability for me.

Apparently, Live in Mesa will not feature the new songs, or the encores

Great job Frontier

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Apparently, Live in Mesa will not feature the new songs, or the encores

Great job Frontier

BG
    Indeed. Why waste the space on that crap?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I do like the idea of Yes working on new material, but only as long as they recognize that H&E was not a winner. They certainly have time for it. 6 weeks of the Toto Tour and Cruise to the Edge do not a busy year make. Though considering their advancing ages and that some are now grandparents perhaps the current slow-mo state of affairs is the new normal.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I fully agree! How dare they create something without first checking with us to see if we like it. They should do exactly what we tell them to do. You should just dictate the chord changes to them too.

And while you are at it, tell them to come over to my house and finish the yard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    They certainly have time for it. 6 weeks of the Toto Tour and Cruise to the Edge do not a busy year make. Though considering their advancing ages and that some are now grandparents perhaps the current slow-mo state of affairs is the new normal.
    They do all have interests beyond Yes as well. Howe has just completed a solo tour and is putting finishing touches to a new Steve Howe Trio album, White has a date with his band (White) coming up, Downes has a bunch of projects, &c.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Howe ...is putting finishing touches to a new Steve Howe Trio album
    Henry
    Excellent.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Excellent.
    He has been putting finishing touches to it for a while unfortunately...

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    He has been putting finishing touches to it for a while unfortunately...

Henry
    Is Jon A. involved?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Indeed. Why waste the space on that crap?
    Hey quit hatin.' Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    How dare they create something without first checking with us to see if we like it.
    I agree with this. How dare they....

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    Any word on if there's any action on starting a follow-up to H&E??

To the YES fans that did not like that album:

(1) Are you willing to give JD another chance as creative force?

(2) What would you like to see on the next YES CD; what advice would you offer as far as thematic direction goes???
    (1)
    Absolutely! But more prog and less pop(love H&E though).

(2)
    Compose as a group. Stuff with more impact and intensity. Pick a concept and build around it. Be more creative and less concerned about airplay. Remember your fanbase. Subway Walls and Light of the Ages showed that Yes can still make the magic when they want to without dragging something out to 20+ minutes unnecessarily.

(3)
    Get Rich Mouser to produce