Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dream car?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Very old cars:
    Auburn, Dusenberg, or Cord - I'll take any of them >> I'll take that one anyday

More recent classics:
    Jaguar E-Type V12 >> drove that (but it was a 8-cyl) for a week >> its owner was away, and asked me to look after it

Also a BMW 635 CSi or the Volvo 180 ES (driven by Roger Moore in The Saint, though with a different colour

Current cars:
    Toss-up - Aston Martin DB9 or Vanquish, >>> In case of an Aston, I'll defintely go for the V8 Volante (later 70's & 80's)
    ... but, I'm happy with my Saab 9-3...
    Last edited by Trane; 05-24-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I went to a Tesla showroom yesterday. Wish I had an extra 75 large. That car is spectacular. I should have asked what happens if it breaks down. Who can fix it?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Im not into cars. I would go for a big Volvo or similar, it has to be practical and comfortable - and if it runs a lot of kilometers on a liter gas, thats fine.

My uncle had a red Volvo P 1800 stationcar, totally original besides the tires. Fun but unpractical.

^^^

ugly colour, but that Volvo is one of my faves... in the Ferrerri red colour, it's sublime (whether the coupé, the convertible or this station-wagon)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The pinkish is butt ugly.
    My uncle had it in a slightly darker red than the ferrari red as I recall it.
    This more like it:

Attached Images Attached Images

it's looking even better from the front...

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Anyone have a car of your dreams? An auto that you've wanted for years, that you still dream of someday owning no matter the cost, or maybe you finally got it. There are a couple that have been on my wish list for over 40 years:

A 1963 Studebaker Avanti with the round headlight frames. I'd take the '64 with the square frames if that were all that's available.
    A 1951 Hudson Hornet with the visor over the split windshield

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the '63 Avanti too.

I just wish I still had my first car: 1969 Dodge Charger R/T...Teal with white vinyl roof and black R/T stripe....(sadly, I crashed it into a telephone pole in 1980)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My 1976 Peugeot 504.

(Nightmares count as dreams, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My 1976 Peugeot 504.

(Nightmares count as dreams, right?)
    Some of those same Peugeot models from those years (especially the breaks/stationwagons) are still running around in black Africa's dirt trails as "taxi-brousse" and are counting around 2 million kms... Those engines are among the sturdiest ever built

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Some of those same Peugeot models from those years (especially the breaks/stationwagons) are still running around in black Africa's dirt trails as "taxi-brousse" and are counting around 2 million kms... Those engines are among the sturdiest ever built
    Really, 'cos mine had have an engine rebuild in 1980 with < 70000mi, piece of crap. And it had completely rusted-out rocker panels by the time it was 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Really, 'cos mine had have an engine rebuild in 1980 with < 70000mi, piece of crap. And it had completely rusted-out rocker panels by the time it was 5 years old.
    the rusted body parts were indeed a totally different ballgame... In the 80's, french cars were already rusted in the catalogues (Renault even worse than Peugeot or Citroen

french cars were already rusted in the catalogues

I'd love a Tesla Model 3. The other models are way out of my price range, but I've seen them on the road in the east Seattle suburbs, and boy, are they sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I went to a Tesla showroom yesterday. Wish I had an extra 75 large. That car is spectacular. I should have asked what happens if it breaks down. Who can fix it?
    There are Tesla service stations. Or you can pay $100 for a "Tesla Ranger" to come to your house and service your vehicle. They'll also send a valet to your house and set you up with a loaner if you live within 50 miles of a service center.

I just finished reading the new Elon Musk biography. The guy is a major-league jerk but has drive and determination like almost no one else I've ever heard of. There are so many reasons Tesla never should have succeeded, but Musk knew he could get it done and proved his critics wrong.

One thing I find amazing is that Tesla sends out over-the-air software updates to all their cars, just like your phone company might send out to your cell phone. In the Musk bio, Tesla owners said it's the only car they've ever had that can actually improve after it rolls off the lot. You wake up in the morning, start it up, and you might have some brand-new feature that wasn't there yesterday. That's awesome.

Another car I'd enjoy having that's much more in my price range is a Nissan Cube. I just love the quirky styling on that thing. We almost bought one when we were in the market for a car last year. But I'm married to an eminently practical accountant, and we ended up getting a Subaru Forester. I don't love it, but everyone we talked to just raved about how durable Subies are. "Oh, you're guaranteed to get 200K at a bare minimum!" That's good for us, since we drive cars till they fall apart. Our old 2003 Chevy Tracker is still limping along at around 230K.

One of my first cars was a '73 Super Beetle. It had an Auto-Stick -- you had to shift, but there was no clutch. I loved that car, even though it was miserable to drive in Michigan winters. I remember scraping off ice from the inside of the windshield as I was driving.
    Last edited by Adrian; 05-30-2015 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    we ended up getting a Subaru Forester. I don't love it, but everyone we talked to just raved about how durable Subies are. "Oh, you're guaranteed to get 200K at a bare minimum!" That's good for us, since we drive cars till they fall apart.
    We have friends in upstate New York by Lake Cayuga who have a Forester. It's about as old and beat as they get and it still cooks. The husband is a plumber who hauls his tools in it, so I doubt he's treated it all too gingerly. If I'm not mistaken, he's got over well over 200K on it.
    Lou

Just bought a 2014 BMW 550i xDrive (black with dark grey trim). 27k miles and certified by BMW. 445 HP/480 lb ft torque - this thing is a fuckin' rocket ship! It's the F10 series of the car with the N63B44O1 4.4 liter 8 cylinder twin-scroll turbo engine for those of you who are Bimmer geeks. I LOVE IT!! Its ultra luxurious but can also turn into a serious performance car if desired. A true Jekyll and Hyde car. I've always been into cars, I do a ton of driving and safety, comfort, and performance are important for me. The Harmon Kardon sound system is also quite good, although it has a lot of EQ's of which I am still messing around with in order to try and get the best tone. I totally get folks who don't give a shit about cars, but like high-end audio equipment, good cars can be an art form, and I love them (especially the Germans and Italians).

Just an FYI - No I am not wealthy by any stretch, but rather these cars depreciate like crazy and are well within reach for an average asshole such as myself if so interested. Yes, these cars are quirky, and expensive to maintain, but I still have 1.5 years left on the factory warranty and I usually have pretty good luck with autos. Here is a picture of the same car, I don't have any good pics of mine yet.

640x480.jpg
    Last edited by chalkpie; 03-02-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

For me a car is mostly a practical thing. But some do really look nice

Borgward Goliath GP700 Sport '1951–52

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just bought a 2014 BMW 550i xDrive (black with dark grey trim). 27k miles and certified by BMW.

640x480.jpg
    Beautiful looking sedan. I saw a BMW sports car the other day. Just gorgeous. Don't know which model, but it looked like one of those sleek, low-slung Jags.
    Lou

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just bought a 2014 BMW 550i xDrive (black with dark grey trim). 27k miles and certified by BMW. 445 HP/480 lb ft torque - this thing is a fuckin' rocket ship! It's the F10 series of the car with the N63B44O1 4.4 liter 8 cylinder twin-scroll turbo engine for those of you who are Bimmer geeks. I LOVE IT!! Its ultra luxurious but can also turn into a serious performance car if desired. A true Jekyll and Hyde car. I've always been into cars, I do a ton of driving and safety, comfort, and performance are important for me. The Harmon Kardon sound system is also quite good, although it has a lot of EQ's of which I am still messing around with in order to try and get the best tone. I totally get folks who don't give a shit about cars, but like high-end audio equipment, good cars can be an art form, and I love them (especially the Germans and Italians).

Just an FYI - No I am not wealthy by any stretch, but rather these cars depreciate like crazy and are well within reach for an average asshole such as myself if so interested. Yes, these cars are quirky, and expensive to maintain, but I still have 1.5 years left on the factory warranty and I usually have pretty good luck with autos. Here is a picture of the same car, I don't have any good pics of mine yet.
    VERY nice! I've had 2 BMWs.

Right now I'm on the verge of trading my Infiniti Q50 on <ducks head in shame> an SUV. Dunno which one just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    For me a car is mostly a practical thing. But some do really look nice

Borgward Goliath GP700 Sport '1951–52
    Cool! I loved the Borgward Isabelle back in the day. Someone recently purchased the rights to the Borgward brand, and put this concept together:

Regards,

Duncan

Right now I'm on the verge of trading my Infiniti Q50 on <ducks head in shame> an SUV. Dunno which one just yet.

Cool! I loved the Borgward Isabelle back in the day. Someone recently purchased the rights to the Borgward brand, and put this concept together:

Borgward 'died' in 1961 but has been revived in 2015 by a chinese company. The designer of the Borgward Isabella Concept is Danish: Anders Warming

Kraan made a tune called Borgward (perfect for driving) - wrong album cover here (Tournee 1980):

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 03-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Ferrari 488 GTB.

What a beauty.

2014 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Edition 507 Wagon.

Sadly not available in the USA, but Europe gets it. I love watching this thing tear up roads in the Black Forest.

2018 Mercedes AMG S63 Coupe 4Matic.

This machine is absolutely mindblowing in all aspects, especially the design. Gorgeous.

LaFerrari.

My fav Ferrari ever, even surpassing my other two fav Ferraris: the (both) incredible 488 GTB and 458 Italia. $1.42 mil USD. 789 HP, 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds. Yeah, that'll do. This is art.

Cheers Dunc! I'm like a little kid right now - just want to drive anywhere and everywhere - even to work!

What BMW model and years did you own? What did you like/dislike about them? I just cannot get over the overall feel the way this car drives and the effortless power, which is SO smooth. Just blows my mind.

Funny - my buddy JUST bought a QX80, which I think had something like 3,000 miles on it! He loves it - I haven't even seen it yet. Looks pretty mammoth from the pictures.

SUV for you? Have you checked out the new 2018 Volvo XC 90? That thing looks stunning imo, and I'm sure its top class in every category. I have always liked the Audi Q7 as well. Land Rover's are my fav looking SUVs, but I hear they can be a nightmare to maintain. Pricey too. My wife drives a 2011 Ford Flex Limited with EcoBoost (basically 3.5 liter V6 twin turbo). 355 HP/350 lb ft torque. Very, very quick. Its a seriously great driving car, albeit a bit quirky in the boxy design. Three rows, extremely comfy and roomy. Highest recommendation.