Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lesser known Canadian prog

Lesser known Canadian prog

Most people here and elsewhere are more than familiar with Rush, Max Webster, Saga, FM, Harmonium... some will know of Nathan Mahl, Pollen, Sloche... but digging deeper, there are a host of lesser-known bands that fit somewhere under the prog umbrella - mostly from either Ontario or Quebec but occasionally elsewhere. To get the ball rolling (if indeed this one will roll, we shall see).... does anyone here remember Zon? Toronto band who had two or three pretty decent albums in the late 70s... the singer used to wear a mask if I have my facts straight, although I don't think he was as theatrical as Gabriel or Fish. They may be known more than anything as the band who opened for Alice Cooper at the CNE stadium in Toronto in 1980 - except that Cooper was a no-show and a riot ensued. But they were not bad... likeable stuff, at the very least.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

a coupla one-shots top my list

Aquarelle and Pangee

beyond that

Contraction
    Mind Gallery
    Five After Four
    Ken Ramm
    Spaced Out
    The Code
    Contrevent

are all excellent IMO
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Ken Baird, also as Monarch Trail, has made some excellent albums. He also posts here occasionally.

A rather obscure band that has made some very good albums is Greylevel.

Pascal Languirand
    Breche
    Rouge Ciel
    Interference Sardines

CANO from Ontario gets mentioned occasionally around here
    There's nowt so queer as folk

Old man of prog
    Druckfarben? I think singer Phil Naro is from Rochester but aren't the rest from Toronto?
    Also..Mystery?

One I discovered recently : Champignons - Première Capsule. 1972 psychedelic/bluesy/proggy.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Aquarelle and Pangee

beyond that

Contraction
    Mind Gallery
    Five After Four
    Ken Ramm
    Spaced Out
    The Code
    Contrevent

are all excellent IMO
    Sloche and Maneige are probably too common for this thread but they are awesome

others I forgot
    Ben Mink (of FM fame)
    UZEB
    Alain Caron
    Scarlet Rivera
    Toubabou
    Amin Bhatia
    Eclipse
    Michel Madore
    David Bendeth
    all worthy of mention here
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I guess Conventum, Opus-5 and L'Orchestre Sympathique are not obscure enough for the thread. Some really good stuff though.

The L'OS album in particular is one of my favourites of all Québécois prog, sort of a free-flowing pastoral jazz rock with flute, vibes and acoustic piano as the dominant voices. One of those records that always makes me feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Most people here and elsewhere are more than familiar with Rush, Max Webster, Saga, FM, Harmonium... some will know of Nathan Mahl, Pollen, Sloche... but digging deeper, there are a host of lesser-known bands that fit somewhere under the prog umbrella - mostly from either Ontario or Quebec but occasionally elsewhere. To get the ball rolling (if indeed this one will roll, we shall see).... does anyone here remember Zon? Toronto band who had two or three pretty decent albums in the late 70s... the singer used to wear a mask if I have my facts straight, although I don't think he was as theatrical as Gabriel or Fish. They may be known more than anything as the band who opened for Alice Cooper at the CNE stadium in Toronto in 1980 - except that Cooper was a no-show and a riot ensued. But they were not bad... likeable stuff, at the very least.

I have that Zon album on vinyl. A friend of mine also had their second album.

And how about Indiscipline?

Aquarelle and Pangee
    Aquarelle is not a one-shot, since they've got their live album (Montreux Festival) out as well. Good choice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by saatuk View Post
    Breche
    excellent choice... trombonne like yoyu've never heard it before

Michel Madore
    Excellent Komuzo album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Really enjoyed that, thanks. Looks like it was only ever put out on LP. A job for ProgQuebec!

If newer bands are allowable, Muskox from Toronto is worth a mention. An instrumental group playing the compositions of banjoist Mike Smith, which seem to draw on folk, minimalism, jazz and prog:

They have two albums on physical release:

https://muskox.bandcamp.com/album/5-pieces

https://muskox.bandcamp.com/album/in...ransformations

I like 'em both. Invocation/Transformations from 2011 is more "proggy".

Still would love to see their 3 lp's on CD someday....

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Really enjoyed that, thanks. Looks like it was only ever put out on LP. A job for ProgQuebec!
    I remepmber proposing this a few times to PQ, and they told me it was in the works, but apparently nothing's come out of it, sadly.

It seems that once PQ managed to re-issue the two Sloche albums, much of their motivations seemed to wane; a bit as if they'd reached the ultimate goal (I'm not sure they(ve released 5 albums since then)

Despite having tons of 70's prog gems from La Belle Province still awaiting, I mean, outside the latert Langlois release, their latest reissue dates from a few years (3?) back (Dervieux and Voisins). Sorry Stephen (and Sean), this is no attack, but your very fine label had done such a fantastic job so far, that the unfinished job is a bit disappointing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

SteveSly, good call on the Bolus! I have all three of their CDs, love their sound! They're just a bunch of young guys from Vaughan, Ontario. I lobbied unsuccessfully to get them in as an opener for Marillion Weekend.

Loads of great clips already, thanks everyone and keep them coming!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

KARCIUS is another great band from Canada...

http://prog-sphere.bandcamp.com/trac...us-purple-king
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

A bit of Opus 5:

While they're not known as a prog band, the third Martha & the Muffins album was very proggy indeed. Their bassist then was one Jocelyne Lanois, and her brother Daniel produced it. Here's the title track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutoLOvtAzQ

Spirit of Christmas

Mashmakhan (proggy-ish)
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes