Thread: Yes on HDtracks

Yes on HDtracks

I read somewhere (maybe it was on here) that TFTO sounded great on HDtracks. Well, they were right! I'm very impressed. This is my go-to version to play from now on.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other Yes albums from HDtracks? I have a coupon I want to use

Not Yes, but I just got the new Steven Wilson in 24/96 ... Sounds pretty good.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

I don't get what people like about Tales on HDtracks. Sounds way too bright to me.

I've got an original UK LP which I believe is known to be really alive and a bit on the bright side, and the HDtracks makes that thing sound bassy!

Most of the other Yes stuff on HDtracks has been wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I don't get what people like about Tales on HDtracks. Sounds way too bright to me.

I've got an original UK LP which I believe is known to be really alive and a bit on the bright side, and the HDtracks makes that thing sound bassy!

Most of the other Yes stuff on HDtracks has been wonderful.
    Haven't heard the HDtracks version but I think the reason may be that Tales always had a bit of a dull sound to it and making it brighter would make it more alive to many peoples ears. I have a US vinyl which I burned onto CD that sounds great to my ears, better than the 2 CD versions I bought (Gastwit and Rhino). I'm not holding my breath for any CD release that would sound better but would welcome it.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Tales always sounded dull to me. I much prefer the HDtracks version.

Having said that, I gave Yesshows and GFTO a try...neither one impressed me. I see very little (if any) improvement over my CD's.

Never heard a "dull" Tales on vinyl.

The first couple of CD reissues were a bit like that, though they may have been more faithful to the master tapes.