Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A song that sounds like it should be by another band...

We once played the soundtrack to the Disneyworld Light Parade (electronic-sounding renditions of Disney classics) and convinced a high school friend that it was a new ELP "adaptation."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    Gotye sometimes sounds a lot like Sting. This song especially could have been done by the Police or by Sting solo:

Many thought that Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" was Peter Gabriel
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Love is like Oxygen-Sweet sounds like ELO.

Styx- Mr Roboto sounds a bit like Queen.

Guy Manning sounds like Ian Anderson/ Jethro Tull so does some of the early Eloy.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-16-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Many thought that Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" was Peter Gabriel
    Some of the vocal sections on that song sound a lot like Sting. In fact I thought Sting was a guest singer then when I looked it up and found out he wasn't I was rather surprised. I think it has Peter Gabriel's quirkiness but to me it doesn't sound like him that much. Vocally it does sound like Sting though.

I absolutely would have thought Gotye was Sting. Speaking of which, most people thought Your Love by the Outfield was The Police...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Tales of Brave Ulysses (Cream) sounds far too like Procol Harums Cerdes (outside the gates of)released only 2 months before it to be a coincidence...and both with ancient Greek/Turkish titles ....puhleeez!.
    • The Disraeli Gears recording sessions took place in May, 1967.
    • The eponymous Procol Harum was recorded during June.
    • The two songs don't sound all that similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    • The Disraeli Gears recording sessions took place in May, 1967.
    • The eponymous Procol Harum was recorded during June.
    • The two songs don't sound all that similar.
    It is totally irrelevant when the recordings were made, as one band wouldn't have been in the studio listening to the other band record an entire album. The fact remains that the PH album was released in September and the Cream album in November.

As for them not sounding similar, they sound similar, to my ears. Similar doesn't mean "the same"

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Styx- Mr Roboto sounds a bit like Queen.
    (Hank Hill mode on) You take that back! (Hank Hill mode off)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It is totally irrelevant when the recordings were made, as one band wouldn't have been in the studio listening to the other band record an entire album. The fact remains that the PH album was released in September and the Cream album in November.

As for them not sounding similar, they sound similar, to my ears. Similar doesn't mean "the same"
    Not irrelevant at all, as you seemed to imply that Cream was influenced by PH (if not worse).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    So we're to believe that Cream's Ulysseswas influenced by PH's Cerdes despite the fact that it was recorded first, based on PH managing to get their album on the shelves prior to Cream's already-in-the-can album?

Um,

OK.

And of course if you play Atlanta Rhythm Section at a higher speed you get Stevie Nicks....
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Love is like Oxygen-Sweet sounds like ELO.
    "Magic" by Pilot also sounds like ELO

I always thought the 1970 song "temptation eyes" was the guess who, until last month when I realized it was by the grass roots

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    So we're to believe that Cream's Ulysseswas influenced by PH's Cerdes despite the fact that it was recorded first, based on PH managing to get their album on the shelves prior to Cream's already-in-the-can album?

Um,

OK.
    Oh yea, good point. Silly me! BUT to me the listener they still sound and feel similar.

The first time I heard The New Radicals' "You Only Get What You Give" on the radio back in the 90s I thought it was Karl Wallinger and World Party.

I really like the song and I eventually bought the album. It's the only good song on the album. The rest is beyond bad, almost like a different band.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The first time I heard The New Radicals' "You Only Get What You Give" on the radio back in the 90s I thought it was Karl Wallinger and World Party.

I really like the song and I eventually bought the album. It's the only good song on the album. The rest is beyond bad, almost like a different band.
    I liked "Someday We'll Know", but I agree the rest is pretty forgettable.

I honestly thought "You Get What you Give" was a lost Beach Boys or Brian Wilson track when I first heard it.

Gregg Alexander is actually a pretty good songwriter, though he has a particular sound from which he doesn't vary much. The album "Ultimate Santana" contains two versions of "The Game Of Love", which is one of his. One has Michelle Branch on vocals, the other has Tina Turner.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-21-2015 at 09:10 AM.

I would say, the album Carlos Santana did with a bunch of guest vocalists. I think he had a hit with Rob Thomas, which doesn't sound like Santana at all, more like Carlos Santana playing a solo on someone elses record.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (Hank Hill mode on) You take that back! (Hank Hill mode off)
    It's mainly just the vocal part in the beginning but maybe some of the guitar work too. It's not meant as an insult though.

I've heard people say that it sounds like Todd Rundgren and I agree. What you said about it being the only good song reminds me of the album "the final countdown" by Europe. I bought it on cassette for a dollar and the only good track was the title track. The rest was pretty unlistenable. I only listened to it once and I'm glad I only paid a dollar(in fact even that was probably too much).

I still think it's funny that a song called "You Only Get What You Give" was a one-hit-wonder. I guess they didn't give enough.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I still think it's funny that a song called "You Only Get What You Give" was a one-hit-wonder. I guess they didn't give enough.
    Yes and no. From what I read, the reason only one album was produced was that Gregg Alexander was bored with the whole band project, being more into songwriting and production than with the mechanics of being the front-man for a band. Just looking at the album cover gives you the impression that he can't be bothered.

As well as winning awards for the song "The Game of Love" he has written for a host of other artists, including two very large hits for Ronan Keating, so it's not as if the man does not have talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Can't express how much I hate that song.
    Try picturing Kermit singing, maybe it would work better for you.

Kermit the prog.

The Hollies Long Cool Woman sounds like CCR.

Another one for the McCartney/Wings list, circa London Town - Little River Band's 'Reminiscing'.