Thread: Steve Hackett with Peter Hicks

Steve Hackett with Peter Hicks

Piggybacking on the Wolflight Hackett vocal thread got me thinking the other day whilst listening to Defector. Damn, Hackett and Hicks made a great team. I always thought his vocals
    fit Steve's compositions at the time. Also, they harmonized great together IMO. Songs like Everyday and Time to get Out really showcase that. Would Cured have sounded diff for the better with Pete an company??? That being said I really feel that Hackett's two best albums where he does all the vocals are Darktown and Out of the Tunnels Mouth. I guess maybe most of us agree, his albums are far better served with guest vocalists. Let's face it, those tracks that feature Walsh, Havens and Collins are pretty magical...

I also liked Pete Hicks' vocals on Hackett's albums. I got to see the band live twice, and Hicks was in the first band (1980 Defector tour). FYI, Pete sings on Nick Magnus' solo albums. He's really good on Children of Another God.

I always kinda wished that the Spectral Mornings / Defector team had morphed from Steve Hackett into the The Steve Hackett Band and kept going that way. I think it was Dik Cadbury who expressed a similar sentiment and maybe it was that kind of thinking that led to the band being dissolved with Hackett not wanting to return to a band format so soon.

Hackett is my guitar god (along with Howe) ---Hackett's music is so strong but you can't think vocals are not very very important---and Hackett's voice is too low and one dimensional to represent his songs properly---it drives me crazy to hear his music and imagine a better singer---Pete Hicks was good but think there has to be others out there that he could use.

Not quite Racing in A, but I'd pop down the local if these were playing:

Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Honestly, Steve needs a good lead vocalist. I also enjoyed Hicks and the band that Steve had for Defector. As much as I like "Wolflight" after the first few listens, the over processed vocals and plodding drums are getting a little old for me. There are some really great melodies on this record, but it seems like the arrangements have been fairly static over the last 4-5 studio albums. I am a big fan of Steve's music, but for me something needs to change. I was hoping we might hear Nad take some vocals on this record since he has toured with Steve for the Genesis shows.

Just my opinion, but I think a little shake-up is in order.

Yes, the 'Spectral Mornings'/'Defector' period was undoubtedly his best IMHO- see my choices on the Top 7 thread which is dominated by those two albums. A great bunch of musicians and a focus on vocal harmonies. I think the loss of that band was a great shame, circa 'Defector' he was really making waves (Top 10 in the UK for that album).

I think Steve's vocals have improved greatly- remember on the early ones he used to fiddle around with his voice ('The Hermit', 'Carry On Up The Vicarage') or sang in a far-too-high register. He can carry a tune well enough now.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I also liked Pete Hicks' vocals on Hackett's albums. I got to see the band live twice, and Hicks was in the first band (1980 Defector tour). FYI, Pete sings on Nick Magnus' solo albums. He's really good on Children of Another God.
    ..as well as on the newest Magnus album, N'Monix, which I'm loving.

^ absolutely agreed - Nick Magnus's N'Monix is an excellent album, and the tracks with Hackett are probably closer to Spectral Mornings and Defector in feel than anything on Wolflight. "Eminent Victorians", with Hackett and Hicks, is fantastic stuff.

I reckon the Hackett & Magnus partnership was pretty important for those early albums (wasn't Magnus also involved in Please Don't Touch? Too lazy to check my copy and my memory might be faulty, but that's still my favourite Hackett album by a country mile).

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    ..as well as on the newest Magnus album, N'Monix, which I'm loving.
    I liked N'Monix too, but my favorites are Hexameron and Children of Another God (close second). Here (in Hexameron) Steve Hackett is soloing in three of the eight songs. In Seven Hands of Time Hackett plays on of his most melodic and beautiful solos after "Firth of Fifth".

I always liked Hick's voice. It would have made CURED a bit better...

I agree with some of the posts in that Hackett's latter day material would be improved a good deal if he had a good lead vocalist in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Honestly, Steve needs a good lead vocalist. I also enjoyed Hicks and the band that Steve had for Defector. As much as I like "Wolflight" after the first few listens, the over processed vocals and plodding drums are getting a little old for me. There are some really great melodies on this record, but it seems like the arrangements have been fairly static over the last 4-5 studio albums. I am a big fan of Steve's music, but for me something needs to change. I was hoping we might hear Nad take some vocals on this record since he has toured with Steve for the Genesis shows.

Well said and agree but think he can do better than Nad---not that he's bad---a young alternative type singer--with a good vocal range would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post

I quite agree. You expressed my thoughts better than I could.

I'm not a big fan of Roger King's productions. He seems very adept at mixing the life and energy out of things.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Well said and agree but think he can do better than Nad---not that he's bad---a young alternative type singer--with a good vocal range would be great.
    Calling Casey McPherson...

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Calling Casey McPherson...
    Ray Wilson would work, too, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I love Pete Hicks