Thread: Saw Michael Schenker last night

Saw Michael Schenker last night

Last night, I went to see my personal guitar hero Michael Schenker...this time touring with Doogie White on vox, and ex-Scorps Francis Buccholz and Herman Rarebell (which I was excited about for nostalgia reasons).

As I got there, the opening band Gundriver was nearing the end of their set...hadn't heard of them, but immediately recognized Rev Jones (who was playing bass for Schenker last time I saw him) and stood transfixed by his insanity for their remaining couple of otherwise nondescript songs.

As far as the main event...well, it reminded me why I love music so much and I might have had tears in my eyes a couple of times. Schenker has been my favorite guitar player since I was a wee lad and first heard Strangers in the Night, and I've seen him three times before (back in the McAuley/Schenker days, with UFO on the Walk on Water tour, and the last time he was through with "Temple of Rock" (dumb name) with McAuley on vocals). But last night was the first time I feel like I've seen the *true* Michael Schenker. Granted, if you threw some gray ash over him he'd look like an extra from The Walking Dead, but beyond the gaunt physical appearance he seems to be back. He was smiling the whole night, and seemed completely clear and present and connected with the crowd. But most importantly, his playing was impeccable. The "Rock Bottom" solo was a thing of pure beauty...he truly did justice to the SitN version.

The setlist was mostly UFO and Scorpions, with a couple songs from his last album (which were actually quite good...I may need ot pick it up), a new song (promising), and a couple classic MSG tunes (Armed and Ready, Victim of Illusion). Sadly, there was no "Into the Arena" or "Captain Nemo". As far as the band: While Buccholz and Rarebell are sort of the Hill/Holland of German melodic metal, it was a lot of fun to see them, and they seemed to enjoy themselves (I even way overpaid for a copy of Herman Rarebell's book after the show just so I could shake his hand and have him sign it). Wayne Findlay was fine on keys and guitar. And Doogie White was a great frontman...I was impressed. Vocally his tone fit the Scorpions material much better than the UFO stuff, but in terms of crowd interaction and charisma, the dude brought it (and it turns out he's a pretty funny guy, as well).

The moral of the story is: if you have any affinity for Schenker at all, this tour is well worth checking out, and I'm so thrilled to see that Michael appears to be happy and back at the top of his game.

Good player.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Damn good player, great tone and his solos always make sense (at least to me). Time to cue up One Night at Budokan.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I dig him too, though I only ever had the first MSG album.

Thanks for the review. I have never had the chance to see him as he has never played my area that I am aware of. Whish he would......

Schenker is hands down the greatest hard rock guitar soloist. He's not noodling around half the time like most. He plays clean and much more melodic than anyone in the genre. He's had some rough times, and it's great to see him sober and back on his game and truly enjoying life again.

I always wonder what it would have been like to hear him playing in a prog band instead of a rock band. He did touch on prog a few times "Love to Love" and "Into the Arena" come to mind.

I saw him last year and I thought he looked great for a guy in recovery.

Huge UFO/Schenker fan. Didn't like McAuley with him though, which is the only time I saw him live.
    I just picked up the new UFO and when the price comes down, I'll get the new Temple of Rock CD. I expect it will be spectacular.
    Glad the live show was good.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Schenker's been on a roll for a few years, now. I didn't see this tour, but I saw the one he did with McAuley a few years ago, and he was fantastic. Schenker's tone and taste on the guitar have to be experienced in concert to be fully appreciated. Possibly the best live guitar tone I've ever witnessed. It's such a shame that he wasted so many years with crazy self-abuse.

Great player for sure. Some of my favourite guitar riffs & solos are Schenker's!!

Yeah, he's one of the few guitarist still on my bucket list.

Great player and soloist as was already mentioned...

Well that's cool! Glad you got to see him and he didn't disappoint.

Cool! Glad he's still got the chops. Saw him on TMS fairly recently so I figured he was still rockin'. Got to see him several times with UFO back in the day as well.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Glad to hear he is still rocking. Only time I saw him was back in the '70s with UFO. Always been among my favorite guitarists.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Great player!

I saw him in UFO sandwiched between Cheap Trick and Rush late 70s.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I just listened to the first McCauley/Schenker Group record....Blecch! Schenker's playing is great, but the songs are cringe inducing.

The first 3 MSG records and the UFO and Scorps stuff he's on are where it's at!

I checked out a few DVDs of his recent shows. I was impressed to see he hadn't lost his chops and was surrounded by a solid band. I've always found him to be one of the most lyrical lead guitarists in his genre.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I once saw MSG open for Rush and completely ignored them.