Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hey there! Prog girl looking for some new music!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    So there, all you starved old men!

Oh, that's me too.
    I will admit, I was starting to wonder: was "Scruffynerfherder's" picture maybe a shot of a certain person's niece, and would "she" soon start spouting forth a mixture of insults and braggery delivered in a phonetically spelled Scots accent?

(note to SNH - this is a reference to a particularly annoying off-and-on PE member, recently kicked off again for about the fifth time.)

Scruffynerfherder Scruffynerfherder's Avatar
    Episode 1-3 never happened..... Only episodes 4-6 are the true Star Wars films. Not too mention; HAN SHOT First...to clarify...

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerfherder View Post
    Hey all! New to the site. 29 yr old gal and musician with a vast taste in music. Recently a friend of mine introduced me to transatlantic, Neal morse and some other good stuff. Looking for some suggestions to fill my iPod up with! Hit me!
    Welcome to PE Snh. Don't mind the few comments of suspicion whether you're real or not. Seems to be part of the rite of passage here, especially considering we have had our share of trolls come and go with alarming frequency. Anyway, enjoy your stay, learn lots (which you will) and have fun hanging out. It's a great place to hang your e-hat.

As for suggestions, I'll offer a few of my own, some of which have already been mentioned.

Izz (symphonic leanings, excellent songcraft)
    Flower Kings (the symphonic of the symphonics )
    Kaipa (similar to Flower Kings)
    Gazpacho (understated, emotive, vocals - which I love - can be an acquired taste)
    Spock's Beard (Neal Morse's band, which have continued without Neal)
    Agents of Mercy (includes Roine Stolt of Flower Kings)
    Magenta (female singer; symphonic)

There's a start, but I've only skimmed the surface of my own favourites.

BTW, I googled "Scruffynerfherder" (the name piqued my interest) and came up with references to movie reviews. Are you connected in some way? (just being curious)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerfherder View Post
    I've been enjoying YEs, king crimson, genesis, transatlantic, opeth Neal morse. Glass hammer.
    Yay, you're still here. Tell me what you think of these two current-ish tracks:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    Its weird how every few months, someone new posts that they are a girl looking for prog, only to vanish and never appear again.
    Well, this is probably about how they feel (Fast-forward and start at 1:15):

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's pretty funny how this board goes nuts whenever there's a new female member, regardless of how improbable the circumstances.

Anyway, it's nice to see that there were so many offers to help her "fill my Ipod up."

It's a kind and courteous crowd in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Well, this is probably about how they feel (Fast-forward and start at 1:15):
    I thought it was more like the first 15 seconds of this

Damn you are all lame
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Damn you are all lame
    Don't look at me!!!

I just happened to pass by!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    BTW, I googled "Scruffynerfherder" (the name piqued my interest)
    Blimey! You mean she did a thing to your thing like it's never been done before?
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Blimey! You mean she did a thing to your thing like it's never been done before?
    an then, you wonder why women don't "stick around" here, right??

I mean, it's not what they want, when asking to "fill their iPod"

=================

errr... SNH,

sorry, I can't help you much if you're looking for stuff ala Steve Morse or Transatlantic... just not my kind of stuff, but I can give it a try

ever tried The Flower Kings, though? Roine Stolt is originally from that band (and Kaipa in the 70's)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

then again, perhaps she doesn't want all her Prog to sound samey. Perhaps she wants to hear the amazing variety of styles within the realm of Prog music...

I would suggest checking out the other side of the 70s Prog coin. Get some Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, 11th House, Tony Williams' Lifetime, Jean Luc Ponty, David Sancious, Dixie Dregs, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clarke... all those artists Rock hard and play with unmatched skill on their respective instruments. I'm an old geezer. I was there in the 70s and can tell you that all those artists played every bit as much an integral part in the Progressive music scene as the British bands. Check em out and thank me later
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Whatever happened to that 12 yr old girl who seemed interested in prog.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    then again, perhaps she doesn't want all her Prog to sound samey. Perhaps she wants to hear the amazing variety of styles within the realm of Prog music...

I would suggest checking out the other side of the 70s Prog coin. Get some Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, 11th House, Tony Williams' Lifetime, Jean Luc Ponty, David Sancious, Dixie Dregs, Billy Cobham, Stanley Clarke... all those artists Rock hard and play with unmatched skill on their respective instruments. I'm an old geezer. I was there in the 70s and can tell you that all those artists played every bit as much an integral part in the Progressive music scene as the British bands. Check em out and thank me later
    Everybody knows that chicks dig Jazz. She checks those bands out, she'll never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    She was run off by a herd of morons. Free Range morons, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Damn you are all lame
    Yeah.....So?

Beardfish is another great band...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Korekyojinn
    And from there over to Bondage Fruit!!!
    Last edited by Zalmoxe; 04-10-2015 at 04:58 PM.

I am a long time lurker and long time progger.I also happen to be Prog Girls boss and mentor .She got into prog by digging around my old dusty records and now needs to be guided on her journey .I suggested this site as a good place to start .Hope u treat her well

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I've seen that name here several times, but never heard anything by them until you posted that. I'm listening to a Jaga Jazzist playlist now and digging a tune called "Animal Chin;" cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Everybody knows that chicks dig Jazz.
    Well believe it or not, some actually do, even ones that aren't musicians. I was married to one. Our marriage didn't last because of it, but it was a nice bonding point. My current "squeeze" is a total "pop music only" gal and the vast majority of my music listening is private now. Oh well, at least she's not damaged goods like my ex. You can't have everything...

Anyway, it's not such a stretch to like jazz (or at least fusion) if you like prog. Well, not for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DawkinsHitchens View Post
    I am a long time lurker and long time progger.I also happen to be Prog Girls boss and mentor .She got into prog by digging around my old dusty records and now needs to be guided on her journey .I suggested this site as a good place to start .Hope u treat her well
    It's the internet. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Well believe it or not, some actually do, even ones that aren't musicians. I was married to one.
    There's another forum that I frequent that has a thread called something like 'Post some wife-bothering Jazz.'

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    My current "squeeze" is a total "pop music only" gal and the vast majority of my music listening is private now. Oh well, at least she's not damaged goods like my ex. You can't have everything...

Anyway, it's not such a stretch to like jazz (or at least fusion) if you like prog. Well, not for some of us.
    My *wife* (unmarried but coming up on our 20th anniversary) loves jazz, mainly Latin and Bebop plus some Sinatra. She tolerates prog -- at least the least weird stuff -- but is generally bemused by us prog dudes and our OCD music habits. I guess I should consider myself lucky.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My wife is into anything that doesn't have growling vocals but does seem to like the neoprog stuff the most...

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'm not into Jazz, but back in the 70s when all these Jazz guys started playing Rock, the Jazz Rock scene was one and the same with the Symph Rock scene. For me, when Jazz guys play Rock it's some of the best Prog ever made.
    Same with me...