Thread: Steve Howe celebrates 68th birthday

Steve Howe celebrates 68th birthday

I still would say he is my favorite guitar player. Lots of styles incorporated
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

He doesn't look a day over 95.

I kid, I kid.

One of my all-time faves, too. Probably the one musician who most opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities in music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That's WONDERFUL!!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He doesn't look a day over 95.
    came to post this, damnit
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Truly my most influential guitarist by far....really made me take the GTR seriously and inspired me to attend G.I.T. (best decision I ever made....besides marrying my Wife)

I never tire of listening to him.

I heard this mentioned on WMMR today. Pierre Robert(last name pronounced Row bear for those not in Philly )even played "the clap" to honor his birthday. I know it's technically "clap" but Jon Anderson announces it as "the clap" and it says "the clap" on the original pressing and I think most people(however erroneously)refer to it as "the clap"(for better or worse).

Anyway, I remember seeing Steve Howe live in Philly several years ago at the TLA and the show was on this day(his birthday). If I remember right the audience even sang a brief version of "happy birthday" to him. Steve was a bit elated although not totally overwhelmed. Maybe someone on this forum was there(it was in 2006 or 2007 I believe). I also remember he brought out his Portuguese guitar(I don't remember the exact name of it)and played "nine voices" toward the end of the show.

Great to have the master 6-stringer still walking the planet.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Happy Birthday Steve. A major influence in my musical interests and guitar playing.

KZOK, our classic-rock station in Seattle, wished Steve Howe a happy birthday today and followed it up by playing .........

wait for it ........

Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    KZOK, our classic-rock station in Seattle, wished Steve Howe a happy birthday today and followed it up by playing .........

wait for it ........

Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Doh!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

only 68?????

Parsnip wine for everyone, and no singing "Happy Birthday To Me".

Joking apart, he's the best. I recently listened to this interview with Zoe Howe talking about her biography of Stevie Nicks: http://laxman.hipcast.com/deluge/hip...-s-1.audio.mp3 . At just after 25 minutes, one of the interviewers explains to the audience who Zoe's father-in-law is. The gasp of recognition from the audience is lovely.

I've witnessed so many great concert moments from Steve over the last 20 years, that it's just ridiculous. He'll make his share of mistakes and flubs, but when he gets in the zone there's no one like him.

As scary as he looks due to that crazy diet, he'll probably outlive us all because of it.

Spun 'Yessongs' yesterday. Hard to imagine it was from 1972. Excellent work all around.

Later in the day, I played 'Tormato'. Yeah, yeah, it has it's detracters, but the guitar work was still pretty impressive (as well as the other instruments)
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor