Thread: Green Asphalt (amazing new original album from Gentle Giant archivist Dan Bornemark)

Green Asphalt (amazing new original album from Gentle Giant archivist Dan Bornemark)

Greetings,

Our very dear and most talented friend, Dan Bornemark (who many of you may know as Gentle Giant's official audio archivist and produced both their Under Construction and Gentle Giant archivist box sets), has just released a spectacular new debut album from his prog band, Green Asphalt. Inspired by classic progressive rock of the 1970s (especially Gentle Giant) yet also accessible in ways where Kevin Gilbert's awesome music comes to mind, I think this album will likely have wide appeal here.

The album's initial release is only on vinyl (both a regular and special limited-edition numbered green vinyl edition) and Bandcamp:

https://greenasphalt.bandcamp.com/

Please note that you can purchase both vinyl versions on Bandcamp as well if you like. Also, for those in the USA, the vinyl is also available (with faster delivery and lower shipping costs) here:

https://www.makeweirdmusic.com/shop

I've been eagerly awaiting this release for several years and couldn't be happier with the way the end result turned out. Again, I think many of you will really dig it too.

All the best,

Alan

JKL2000 already posted about this in the New Releases-thread, which made me curious.
    For more info: https://greenasphalt.thealbum.se/
    Bornemark was also involved in the latest Proportions (After All These Years), on which his daughters Signe and Hjördis - who are also featured on the Green Asphalt-album - can be heard on Fading Away.
    Well, hopefully a CD-release will follow soon.

I have it from Bandcamp already and it looks like it could be my album of the year. It should appeal to most lovers of so called prog, big Gentle Giant moments as would be expected and the production is top notch. The vocals do sound like Kevin Gilbert at times, however, there are many style changes in each song so they never sound like anyone else for long. It took 14 years to produce this album so you can expect many changes to take place.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

But no cd?
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, it's strange that Dan would wait this long before recording an album, and then only release it on vinyl, not even a digital release. I guess the point is he wants it to be all analog, but has nothing been done digitally? All the people who haven't owned turntables since the 80s will just have to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, it's strange that Dan would wait this long before recording an album, and then only release it on vinyl, not even a digital release. I guess the point is he wants it to be all analog, but has nothing been done digitally? All the people who haven't owned turntables since the 80s will just have to wait...
    The digital release is on Bandcamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The digital release is on Bandcamp.
    Thanks, not sure why I thought it wasn't.

The music sounds terrific, but those prices--ouch.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The music sounds terrific, but those prices--ouch.
    I'm from the generation where albums were $3.50 and import albums were $6.99.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Looks like there will be a CD release on July 22 according to the website of Just For Kicks: https://justforkicks.de/en/shop/prog.../green-asphalt

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Looks like there will be a CD release on July 22 according to the website of Just For Kicks: https://justforkicks.de/en/shop/prog.../green-asphalt
    We should have copies soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    We should have copies soon.
    Good news for US-fans!

Got the CD today (the red label). Nice to see your name in the Thank You-list, Alan!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Got the CD today (the red label). Nice to see your name in the Thank You-list, Alan!
    Thanks, Rene! I hope you enjoy the album.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Thanks, Rene! I hope you enjoy the album.

Cheers,

Alan
    Although I haven't listened to it a lot yet, I think it's one of the highlights of this year.

Ooo - Thanks for the heads up. Congratulations to Dan on the new release!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Good stuff. Thanks for the heads up, y’all.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well worth picking up. Definitely a GG vibe. This is not a bad thing.

One of my favorites is Suite Yourself, which also has some early Spock's Beard in it (I mean, the way SB mixed the GG-influence into their music).

On the title track, why do all the vocalists pronounce Asphalt as "Ash-Fawlt?" Is that how Asphalt is pronounced in England?

Hi Jed,

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    On the title track, why do all the vocalists pronounce Asphalt as "Ash-Fawlt?" Is that how Asphalt is pronounced in England?
    If memory serves, that pronunciation came from a friend in the UK who grew up in east London, though I don't think I've heard anyone else from England say it that way. (That being said, I've heard people from Ireland say it the way Dan sings it on the title track. This included the salesman who managed our driveway being repaved several years ago--and I'm sure he must have said "ashphalt" at least 25 times during the entire process.)

Cheers,

Alan