Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit Songs/Singles with Odd Time Signatures

I would say few of the songs listed so far come under the heading of bona fide hits and most are just radio staples.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I would say few of the songs listed so far come under the heading of bona fide hits and most are just radio staples.
    Apparently, you and I are being "pedantic", and a lot of people don't make the distinction between "radio staple" and "bona fide hit" (even if the song wasn't even released as a single in the first place).

Well, what I'm saying is if we're going to have much of a discussion, let's include FM classic radio "hits", or staples.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, what I'm saying is if we're going to have much of a discussion, let's include FM classic radio "hits", or staples.
    I thought I covered that in my OP:

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    ................. some hit singles with Odd Time Signatures that got a lot of airplay or video rotation?

How about "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush?

Ambrosia's "How Much I Feel"
    The bridge is in 7/4 (or it could be counted alternating between 3/4 and 4/4)

Surprised no one has mentioned "lucky man" yet. I don't remember the time sig though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned "lucky man" yet. I don't remember the time sig though.
    It's just 6/8...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did anyone mention They're Coming To Take Me Away? That MUST be an odd time signature!

Yeah, I'm just going by what still gets played on the radio these days, especially classic rock. I wasn't really putting a lot of thought into how high the songs charted originally.

Speaking of classic-rock radio, a song I hear often (and no, I have no idea if it was ever released as a single and/or charted) is Hendrix's "Manic Depression." 9/8 or 3/4? I suppose either one is fairly unusual for radio play.