Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mick Karn

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    See post #20 + #21 for more info. Wonderful album.
    I guess I should read back in a thread before I post.

My copy of Letters to Thurza arrived today. What a great find. Thanks for recommending it.

If the handwritten number on the enclosed postcard indicates order of purchase, I'm #13.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My copy of Letters to Thurza arrived today. What a great find. Thanks for recommending it.

If the handwritten number on the enclosed postcard indicates order of purchase, I'm #13.
    Great!

B.t.w. I've got #1

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Did Bill Bruford listen to some gamelan music?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Did Bill Bruford listen to some gamelan music?
    I never read that he said he was inspired by gamelan music, but i'm pretty sure he must have heard most kinds of percussion music.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I never read that he said he was inspired by gamelan music, but i'm pretty sure he must have heard most kinds of percussion music.
    I can't remember having read that either, but the percussion reminded me on gamelan music. (Nice work with electronic drums)

Mick is featured on the new album from Genre Peak, "Your Sleekest Engine".

Martin Birke, the band-leader, is a great fan of Mick and I guess he had an old recording of him, which he incorporated in the track "Nightfalls".

Other musicians are amongst others Mick's old Japan-colleagues Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri plus Jon Hassell (on one track).

Metronomy's Mick Slow is based on, Weather The Windmill, a track from Mick Karn's solo-debut:

Here's Mick on two tracks from French singer Marie Léonor, as far as I know never released on CD:

(also posted on http://mickkarn.proboards.com/thread...&scrollTo=1320)

Excellent musician. I love his work with Torn, Japan, etc. I also have a couple of his solo records, Bestial Cluster and The Tooth Mother. Somewhere around here, I have bootlegs off three shows the Polytown trio played, back in 94 or whenever it was.

[QUOTE=interbellum;923182]Here's Mick on two tracks from French singer Marie Léonor, as far as I know never released on CD:

Thanks for posting this. As much as I thought I knew about Mick Karn, I was unaware of this recording. I just ordered one online.

[QUOTE=FrippWire;925723]
    Here's Mick on two tracks from French singer Marie Léonor, as far as I know never released on CD:

Thanks for posting this. As much as I thought I knew about Mick Karn, I was unaware of this recording. I just ordered one online.
    Cool. I found out about it a few years ago when I went through the impressive Discogs-list of his credits: https://www.discogs.com/artist/45127...0&type=Credits
    Back then there wasn't a youtube-clip to hear what it sounded like, but a some weeks ago there were these to video's. Wonderful playing.

Decided to pick up the Dalis Car albums and Bestial Cluster thanks to this thread. Thank you for new music, thread people.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Decided to pick up the Dalis Car albums and Bestial Cluster thanks to this thread. Thank you for new music, thread people.
    If you don't already have The Tooth Mother, get that sucker, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    If you don't already have The Tooth Mother, get that sucker, too.
    Yes, definitely get The Tooth Mother. I have a fair amount of Japan related stuff. All of those guys, Mick in particular, have put out some very interesting work throughout the years. Jansen, Barbieri and Karn's release: Lumen is also a must have in IMO, which also features Steve Wilson on guitar. (I think it was already mentioned but is worth mentioning again)
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Good choice. Here's a live in the studio-version of the title track of Bestial Cluster for Dutch tv:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    Yes, definitely get The Tooth Mother. I have a fair amount of Japan related stuff. All of those guys, Mick in particular, have put out some very interesting work throughout the years. Jansen, Barbieri and Karn's release: Lumen is also a must have in IMO, which also features Steve Wilson on guitar. (I think it was already mentioned but is worth mentioning again)
    Lumen is a wonderful one. I first had the original cassette transfered to CDR, later the official LP and then the CD. Here's a related clip I hadn't seen before, recorded in the same period:

Good choice. Here's a live in the studio-version of the title track of Bestial Cluster for Dutch tv:

Go back to your first post in this thread. Then scroll back a little.

Damn, check out this lineup: Midge Ure, Pete Townsend< Mick Karn and Phil Collins.

"And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Go back to your first post in this thread. Then scroll back a little.
    Damn, must be the age...

To go a little deeper into the recording of this 2 Meter Sessies: Apparently (see https://www.facebook.com/groups/385768124842049/ post from June 9th) Richard Barbieri did have the original recordings of this, but he doesn't have the rights to release it somehow. Funny thing is that the show was sold officially through the Dutch institute for image and sound (https://www.beeldengeluid.nl/); I managed to buy it back then, but at the moment it seems a long way for a release through JBK.

Damn, check out this lineup: Midge Ure, Pete Townsend< Mick Karn and Phil Collins.

!! Also from this concert this track from Kate Bush (posted often before):

When I'm not mistaken it's also featuring Gary Brooker on keys.

Speaking of Midge Ure: a new compilation-box set will be released this month, called https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...dvd-anthology/.
    It will feature the single version of the single Ure and Karn released, After A Fashion (so not the great 12#-version), but it will also contain the clip:

Yep! I watched this when you posted it and bought a copy right then.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Karn did a lot of work with musicians from Japan (the country). One of them was the big star over there, mr. Sugizo. Here's an instrumental version of the track Sleep Away from the album Flower Of Life (Mick starts playing at 2:50), which is also available in a vocal version by Miu Sakamoto: