Thread: Rock arrangements of early 20th century popular music

Rock arrangements of early 20th century popular music

OK, I'm hoping someone will take this a little seriously, because I know for serious musicians, this sounds like kitsch. But I love this kind of stuff:

I love early twentieth century pop/instrumental music… Tin Pan Alley, ragtime, swing, 1920s jazz... and I wonder if there's any other examples of rock acts doing rock arrangements of this music. I'd be all over it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

See David Lee Roth single 'I ain't Got Nobody'. I wish metal bands would cover that kind of stuff. I'd love to hear a stoner metal band play 'Lazy River" or "Champaigne Charlie."
    Last edited by davis; 04-04-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Suspended
    There have been a million interpretations of "It Ain't Necessarily So" from Porgy and Bess (Gershwin). Australian pop singer Normie Rowe did it in the 1960's, and I didn't like him much but he did this song quite well. The most recent version i remember was by Bronski Beat.

Apart from that, I can't think of too many rock "covers" of early 20th century music. It's hard to do that well, because the genres are so different.

I think there was a whole album with Cole Porter songs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_%2B_Blue
    Don't know if that counts.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

From the Rosemary's Baby soundtrack:

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    There have been a million interpretations of "It Ain't Necessarily So" from Porgy and Bess (Gershwin).

Michael Lee Firkins did a great arrangement of Duke Ellington's The Mooche, on his Chapter 11 CD.
    Last edited by Reid; 04-05-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Steely Dan - East St. Louis Toodle-oo

IMO, these things always sound like novelty songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Steely Dan - East St. Louis Toodle-oo

IMO, these things always sound like novelty songs.
    They did great job on that tune with the guitars. A nice tribute to the Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I know for serious musicians, this sounds like kitsch. ... Tin Pan Alley, ragtime, swing, 1920s jazz...
    Any serious musician who dismisses Gershwin, Duke, Satchmo etc as 'kitsch' isn't a serious musician.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Jelly (pop-soul trio featuring Amy Madigan, later an Oscar-nominated actress) did a fine version of Jelly Roll Morton’s “Dr. Jazz” on their lone, 1977 album A True Story.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Niacin (Billy Sheehan, John Novello, Dennis Chambers 1996) did a great 3. min version of Stravinsky: Le Sacre called Spring Rounds.
    If its not 'popular' enough, but then there is Thelonious Moog's first album: Thelonious Monks songs played on Moog equipment.