Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That ONE song...

That ONE song...

...by a band/singer that most musically uninterested peeps will know of and utter first when asked, e .g. Yes= owner of a lonely heart, Rolling Stones = satisfaction, Springsteen = Born in the usa, Pink Floyd= brick in the wall, MO= Tubular bells, Iron Maiden = run to the Hills, Jethro tull = "yea, you know, that instrumental flutey one":-) (in my experience many peeps know it but cant remember its Name), ELO= mr blue sky, ELP=fanfare common man, ( that is of course, if they have heard of ELP, :-) that is the other factor here), it is a credit to the writing of PC genesis that there isnt just one obvious one that non fans would mention,but a handful, abacab, follow you follow me, invisible Touch, to name just 3.

Stop saying peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Stop saying peeps.
    Hey, 'tis the season.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with Mr Blue Sky, as far as I know.

PEEPS, PEEPS, PEEPS!!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ...by a band/singer that most musically uninterested peeps will know of and utter first when asked, e .g. Yes= owner of a lonely heart, Rolling Stones = satisfaction, Springsteen = Born in the usa, Pink Floyd= brick in the wall, MO= Tubular bells, Iron Maiden = run to the Hills, Jethro tull = [AQUALUNG]"yea, you know, that instrumental flutey one":-) (in my experience many peeps know it but cant remember its Name), ELO= Livin' Thing mr blue sky, ELP=Lucky Man fanfare common man, ( that is of course, if they have heard of ELP, :-) that is the other factor here), it is a credit to the writing of PC genesis that there isnt just one obvious one that non fans would mention,but a handful, abacab, follow you follow me, invisible Touch, to name just 3.
    IMO

I would say Pink Floyd = Money

Rush = Tom Sawyer
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I was never an ELP fan really, but I was going to say Lucky Man. Maybe Fanfare is the right answer though.
    <sig out of order>

Suspended
    The trouble with lists like these as that "the one song everyone associates with the band" often depends on which country you live in. "Mr Blue Sky" wasn't a particularly big hit here and i don't think it would be all that well known. People here would most likely associate ELO with that song where he's asking Bruce not to bring him down.

Say "Genesis" here, and most people would only think of "Invisible touch" or "I Can't Dance", even though they had one or two other sizable hit singles here in the late 70's/early 80's.

I certainly don't think the Rolling Stones are a band associated with just one song. "Satisfaction" is their best known of course, but songs like "Start Me Up", "Brown Sugar", "You Can't Always Get What You Want", "Angie" and "Sympathy For the Devil" and many others still get plenty of airplay on rock radio stations.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    ELO="Evil Woman"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Bad Company - Shooting Star
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
    Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
    Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
    Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
    Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Bad Company - Shooting Star
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
    Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
    Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
    Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
    Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
    Deep Purple - Child in time
    Kansas - Dust in the wind
    Jimi Hendrix - All along the watchtower

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    ELO="Evil Woman"
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    . ELO= mr blue sky,.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    ELO= Livin Thing

The problem with ELO is that they had a kajillion hit singles here in the USA, so its hard to really nail that one tune and it also depends who you talk to. Older folks would say either "Evil Woman", "Telephone Line", "Do Ya", or "Livin Thing" and Id even have to throw "Dont Bring Me Down" in the ring, too......... However, the younger generation would say "Mr Blue Sky".

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The trouble with lists like these as that "the one song everyone associates with the band" often depends on which country you live in. "Mr Blue Sky" wasn't a particularly big hit here and i don't think it would be all that well known.
    "Mr. Blue Sky" barely cracked the US Top 40 in the 70s but - for whatever reason - it got way popular in the 00s. In the past ten years or so, it was always a staple on many college kids playlists and it was even used in several TV commercials in the 00s (three that I can think of and that also may be the reason why it got popular with kids). Ive had requests for it in recent years and it was usually from some bearded 20s hipster.(No, we dont play it...we do two ELO songs: "Do Ya" and "Cant Get It Out Of My Head" and they probably wouldnt know those )

ELP - Lucky Man
    Genesis - Misunderstanding
    ELO - Don't Bring Me Down
    Jethro Tull - Living In The Past
    definitely
    Pink Floyd- Money
    and
    Rush - Tom Sawyer

Rush - Fly By Night
    SRV - Cold Shot or Pride and Joy
    Robben Ford - Talk To Your Daughter
    Weather Report - Teen Town
    Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
    Bloodrock - DOA
    Arthur Brown - Fire
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town

^Now, I know that in the UK it would be Whiskey In The Jar, but not in the US.

Yes - Roundabout (I can't see 90125 as Yes, sorry)
    Genesis - Land of Confusion
    ELP - Lucky Man (to this day)
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Pink Floyd - Money, Another Brick In The Wall
    Santana - Black Magic Woman
    Asia - Heat Of The Moment
    ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
    Beatles - Hey Jude (many more)
    Stones - Brown Sugar (many more)
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    Neil Young - Heart of Gold
    Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4 or Color My World
    Aerosmith - Walk This Way
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
    Foghat - Slow Ride
    Grand Funk - We're An American Band
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary
    Dire Straits - Sultan's of Swing or Money for Nothing
    Doors - Light My Fire or Riders On The Storm
    Doobie Brothers - China Grove
    Allman Brothers - Ramblin' Man
    Elton John - Rocket Man (many more)
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    Rush - Tom Sawyer
    Bob Seger - Night Moves (more)
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters (many more)

exhausting to do this...

Bob

Suspended
    What this thread should demonstrate is that many artists supposedly known for ONE song, are in fact known for... ummm... several.

Jefferson Starship-"We Built This City"

Sadly

What this thread should demonstrate is that many artists supposedly known for ONE song, are in fact known for... ummm... several.
    Or how bands who should be known for several or many songs are known for one.
    For example-I think if you asked people not familiar with 70's music about ABBA, they would think the only hit they had was "Dancing Queen", but this was a band that had dominated the 70's with hits, had simultaneous number one hits and won Eurovision (surprisingly, not with "Dancing Queen").

I'm sure if you asked about James Taylor to some folks, they will only know "You've Got a Friend" or "How Sweet It Is" or "Your Smiling Face", depending on what station they listen to.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I tend to have nothing to do with Peeps, or with the musically uninterested. Life's too short.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Hey, 'tis the season.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Or how bands who should be known for several or many songs are known for one.
    For example-I think if you asked people not familiar with 70's music about ABBA, they would think the only hit they had was "Dancing Queen", but this was a band that had dominated the 70's with hits, had simultaneous number one hits and won Eurovision (surprisingly, not with "Dancing Queen").

I'm sure if you asked about James Taylor to some folks, they will only know "You've Got a Friend" or "How Sweet It Is" or "Your Smiling Face", depending on what station they listen to.
    No. that's not what I meant at all. What I meant was that many people seem to think that a particular band is known only for one song - but ask them WHICH song, and you get several different answers.

To use your example, ABBA had many hits in Australia - they were possibly more popular in Australia than in Sweden. Very few people here, if they knew any ABBA songs at all, would know of only one. They would know Waterloo, Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, SOS, Ring Ring, Fernando and probably more. Most of those went to No. 1 on our singles charts.

James Taylor - in this country it would most likely be Fire and Rain.

I remember hearing a song by ABBA called.....Chiquitita. Never understood what people liked about them, or that corny song in particular. Makes me wanna rip me ears off....

No. that's not what I meant at all. What I meant was that many people seem to think that a particular band is known only for one song - but ask them WHICH song, and you get several different answers.

To use your example, ABBA had many hits in Australia - they were possibly more popular in Australia than in Sweden. Very few people here, if they knew any ABBA songs at all, would know of only one. They would know Waterloo, Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, SOS, Ring Ring, Fernando and probably more. Most of those went to No. 1 on our singles charts.

James Taylor - in this country it would most likely be Fire and Rain.
    i agree

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I remember hearing a song by ABBA called.....Chiquitita. Never understood what people liked about them, or that corny song in particular. Makes me wanna rip me ears off....
    Chiquittita was recorded in several languages, for international year of the Child. I was travelling in South America at the time, hence I mostly heard the Spanish version. I actually think the song is more suited to Spanish than English. It's not a bad song... not their best, nor their worst. I like a lot of ABBA's songs; I have one album, have thought about getting one more, but I wouldn't be becoming an ABBA completist. Steven Wilson also likes ABBA, in case you didn't know (you probably did).