Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Henderson Interview

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    He's evolved. And with a very distinct voice.

He seems to have shed his Holdsworthisms that he carried around in the 80s and early 90s.
    That's an astute observation, Chris... and you're right, although he still does the chordal volume pedal swell thing once in a while. Also, his whammy bar stuff is so well integrated into his playing at this point that I'm often not even aware that he's using it! Like I said, he's reinvented himself and that's a pretty rare thing in guitar players. Jeff Beck did it and Wayne Krantz to some extent, but I can't think of many others.

This is the earliest Tribal Tech footage I've seen.

Just started getting into Scott. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Beck. He seems to play with his fingers rather than a pick. So far, I've listened to his new one another another called "Live". Any other reccommendations?
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 07-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.

I'd go with Well To The Bone next as far as his solo stuff goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Just started getting into Scott. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Beck. He seems to play with his fingers rather than a pick. So far, I've listened to his new one another another called "Live". Any other reccommendations?
    Jeff Beck is certainly one of Scott's influences (especially in the way he uses the whammy bar), but there are a lot of various influences in his playing, and not only limited to guitar players. Still, I think he has a style that's all his own. His discography as a solo artist isn't that big; aside from the two albums you have, there's:
    Dog Party: His first solo album, which is a pretty straight blues affair, aside from the comical lyrics about canines.
    Tore Down House: The jazz-fusion starts creeping back in, creating a genre I call "blusion." Some guest vocals from Thelma Houston (of "Don't Leave Me This Way" fame), who is really singing her ass off!
    Well to the Bone: Even more fusion in the mix; Thelma returns for a brief appearance, as well as some other singers.

Include the two albums you have and that's it for his solo output, but he co-led a powerful fusion band with bassist Gary Willis called Tribal Tech; that put out their first album in the mid '80s and made a total of ten studio albums before calling it a day. I'd describe them as something resembling Weather Report, with screaming guitar. For the first couple of albums, they were a 6 piece band with a saxophone player and a percussionist who played mallet instruments. At the time, their music was pretty heavily arranged (though there was still plenty of improvisation) and the jazz elements were rather prominent. That video that Reid posted above is a good representation of the first incarnation of Tribal Tech, performing a tune from their debut. Unfortunately, those first albums are oop. By the fourth album, the were a 4 piece and by the 8th album, what they were doing was "spontaneous composition," more akin to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. The final album, "X" tied their early style with the later one.

Aside from Tribal Tech and his own albums, Scott collaborated with drummer Steve Smith (Vital Information) and bassist Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) for two albums; they named the group Vital Tech Tones. He also put out an album with bassist Jeff Berlin and drummer Dennis Chambers, called HBC. He also worked as a sideman on the debut of Chick Corea's Elektric Band and a couple of albums with The Zawinul Syndicate. He's been a guest on several other albums as well.

That live double disc album is KILLER imho! I wish the bass was a little more prominent in the mix and (drummer) Kirk Covington's vocals... well, let's say he's no Thelma Houston, but all that aside, I consider it to be the most exciting live blues/rock (and fusion) guitar trio album since Jimi's Band of Gypsys. Scott says he doesn't like it, but what does he know?!

BTW, Scott plays with a pick most of the time.
    Last edited by No Pride; 07-10-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Ernie for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    He's been a guest on several other albums as well.
    In my collection there are albums from Riccardo A. Ballerini, Jeff Berlin & Vox Humana, Tom Coster, Antoine Fafard, Players, 5 After 4, Billy Childs, Richie (=Richard Hallebeek) & Antti, Gregg Bissonette, Scott Kinsey, Jean-Luc Ponty and Usonic

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Players
    I was at the concert partially documented on the live half of that album (I was living in L.A. at the time). I think that album is oop, no?

BTW, he's on a couple of recent Dennis Chambers albums too.

Thanks, Ernie! I'll definitely explore further!

I was at the concert partially documented on the live half of that album (I was living in L.A. at the time). I think that album is oop, no?
    I think it's OOP indeed. Passport Jazz-albums are often hard to find. But what a band: T Lavitz, Jeff Berlin, Steve Smith and our Scott; you must have had a great evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Thanks, Ernie! I'll definitely explore further!
    You're welcome! If this helps...

Tribal Tech's Weather Report influence in evidence (and a great solo from Scott):

The closest TT ever got to metal:

The opening track from Scott's "Tore Down House;" a nicely grooving blues:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    what a band: T Lavitz, Jeff Berlin, Steve Smith and our Scott; you must have had a great evening!
    Yeah, I was fortunate to see that; I don't think they played out much.

Scott's tone on Reality Check was probably my least favorite of the Tribal Tech albums. Obviously his tone has gotten much better as he is obsessed with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Scott's tone on Reality Check was probably my least favorite of the Tribal Tech albums. Obviously his tone has gotten much better as he is obsessed with it now.
    Scott agrees with you (though I don't think he's ever gotten what I would consider a bad tone)!

http://www.scotthenderson.net/gear.htm

If you want to know about his current gear, there's this:
    Last edited by No Pride; 07-11-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Henderson is looking awfully thin in that clip. I hope he's in good health. Nice guitar!

One of my favorite photos of Scott:

It's all about tone ( IMHO ) regarding Scott. His tone is AWESOME! Does anyone else hear Jimi Hendrix as a strong influence in his playing? I certainly do.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Definitely Hendrix, and more and more as we move toward the present, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Henderson is looking awfully thin in that clip. I hope he's in good health.
    He was always a skinny. He just looks old. I can relate; he's 10 months younger than me and I've hardly been mistaken for a whippersnapper lately either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Does anyone else hear Jimi Hendrix as a strong influence in his playing? I certainly do.
    As Rufus would say, "defo!" And Stevie Ray Vaughan channeling Hendrix; i.e. cleaner and faster. But Stevie never copped Hendrix's way of playing with a sense of total abandon and Scott has, especially on that live album. If Jimi had studied jazz with someone like John Scofield, he might've ended up sounding something like Scott.

...If Jimi had studied jazz with someone like John Scofield...
    That I would have loved to hear!

I saw Scott's trio last night. The good news is that they kicked ass! The bad news is that about 20 people came out to witness it. TWENTY PEOPLE! WTF?! I can't find the words to express how disheartening that was to me. I had to turn off my disappointment with the world we live in to allow myself to enjoy the music. I could go off on a rant about how one of the world's greatest musicians came to town and nobody gave a fuck... but what good would that do? Man....

The trio didn't let it dampen their spirits though; they played their hearts out and were clearly having fun. Scott was joking about the situation. Out of those 20 people, 3 of them were women. Scott said, "I want to thank all of you guys for bringing your girlfriends out." A little later he said, "I play fusion because I don't like people... or money... or women."

They're playing the same venue tonight (Reggie's, Chicago) and I sure hope they get a bigger crowd. I'd go again, but I have a gig. Here's their schedule after that:
    September 13, Austin, TX, Ironwood Hall
    September 16 NYC, NY, The Iridium
    September 17 Piermont, NY, Turning Point
    September 19 Auburn Hills, MI, Callahan's

Then they have a full schedule in Europe and South America in October and half of November. They return to the US to play:
    November 20 Los Angeles, CA, Baked Potato
    November 28 San Pedro, CA, Alva's

I urge you guys to check them out if you possibly can! If last night was any indication of how their US tour is going, I could see them not playing in their own country anymore... and wouldn't that be a shame!

For you Europeans and South Americans that are interested, go to http://www.scotthenderson.net/ and click the "Touring" link to see if they're coming someplace near you.
    Last edited by No Pride; 09-11-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Just read and enjoyed this interview (from 2012) with one of my top 5 favorite living guitar players. I know it's not destined to be a 15 page thread, just thought I'd share it with anyone who might be interested. He talks about several music related topics, from illegal downloading to gear to recording to how Tribal Tech's approach to music changed over the years.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/sc...-interview.php
    Very cool, thanks!

I play fusion because I don't like people... or money... or women.
    Ha! Yes, pretty much sums up that situation, eh?
    Last edited by Polypet; 09-11-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    One of my favorite photos of Scott:
    Ah... the 70s. Back when we ALL had hair
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Well I still had some when the decade started but it was already on it's way out. I started losing mine when I was 16. They say that's a sign of extra testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    I've been going through old photos lately at my moms house and came across myself with a lot of hair in the 70's. Bad hair also.

Oh yeah, some of us definitely had too much hair