Thread: Rob Mazurek on tour - New York to Texas

Rob Mazurek on tour - New York to Texas

Cornetist and composer Rob Mazurek leads his Brazilian/American ensembles
    São Paulo Underground and Black Cube SP
    on a rare US tour in April 2015 performing from New York to Texas.

This tour will mark Black Cube SP's US live debut. Audiences should prepare to be astounded and enthralled. Be there as Mazurek's ensembles unleash a musically potent and spiritually powerful torrent of avant jazz, Brazilian folk, electronic and psychedelic music across North America!

FULL info here
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I saw this last night in Chicago. Amazingly fine show. About 125 or so in attendance.

The SPU played the first (long) set and for a 3 piece the sound was gargantuan. Really excellent mix of ethnic Brazillian melodies and tunes mixed with heavy doses of percussion and some truly unique electronics. This was fusion in a totally different context that one would expect and it was extremely powerful and uplifting.

The second (even longer) set was by the Black Cube SP ensemble which is the same as SPU with the addition of Swedish ex-pat Thomas Rohrer playing some sort of Brazillian amplified fiddle, a little bit of Clarinet, some close mic'ed bowed percussion stuff and even more weird electronic devices. As good as the first set was, this set was astonishing. I really didnt want it to end. The music can be described as joyful, uplifting and intense. It seemed to be a mix of composed stuff interspersed with free improv that gave them all a chance to strut their shit.

I'm sorry this thread didnt get more mileage but seriously, if they are coming close to you, I would table pounding'ly recommend you go.

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 04-18-2015 at 04:45 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post

I'm sorry this thread didnt get more mileage but seriously, if they are coming close to you, I would table pounding'ly recommend you go.

best
    Michael
    Yo, Mike!

The tour has apparently been going great with good crowds at all gigs and very happy audiences. So, cry not for them or this thread!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Good to hear! The Chicago Underground Duo/Trio/Quartet were always really popular here...so I'm not surprised they did well here at least.

Also, I forgot to mention, Mazureks Exploding Star Orchestra is another thing worth checking out. I saw them at the Chicago Jazz Fest a few years ago with special guest Bill Dixon and good lord were they great...the only good act of that fest if I remember correctly. Anyway, something else to investigate.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I know the Sau Paulo Underground were able to undertake a small European tour - last year, I think? At least they played the annual NattJazz event in my ol' hometown of Bergen. Or perhaps it was the whole Mazurek package appearing, I can't really remember. Anyway, I really felt like going but couldn't due to work restrictions. And I suppose I blew my one shot at seeing Mazurek here in Norway for quite some time to cum. Bum.

Splendid musician, and I love the SPU releases in particular.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Good to hear! The Chicago Underground Duo/Trio/Quartet were always really popular here...so I'm not surprised they did well here at least.

Also, I forgot to mention, Mazureks Exploding Star Orchestra is another thing worth checking out.
    Double CD by E.S.O. out in late May!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com