Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - Caravan : Blind Dog At St. Dunstan's

All the live versions of "Dabsong" I've heard are missing the jazzy section.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    All the live versions of "Dabsong" I've heard are missing the jazzy section.
    The version on the old "BBC Radio 1 in Concert" CD (with the blue cover) has it. Interesting version in that the flute lead part is played on guitar.

Some parts I like ("Here Am I" is one), but some parts are dreadful. The songs on this album aren't that much better than the songs on the other late-70s Caravan LPs, but these are dressed up a bit more and played with more pep. It doesn't help me take these Dunstans tunes more seriously. I rank this record alongside The Album & Better By Far, although the good parts are probably better than the best of those two.

Per Allmusic:
    After the surprisingly warm reception of Cunning Stunts, it looked like Caravan could do no wrong. Unfortunately, the band's next release was a major turn for the worse. New keyboard player Jan Schelhaas was part of the reason - his jazzy, up-tempo playing on every song regardless of the intended mood is one of the major problems here. It doesn't help that the material here is generally weaker, lacking either compelling lyrics or interesting song structures. Only the opening "Here Am I" is up to the standard of their older material and played with any kind of finesse. What is missing on this album is the character that made Caravan something more than just another technically proficient band. The critical and popular reaction was devastating. Blind Dog at St. Dunstan's took a career that was headed for the big time and brought it firmly back to ground.
    totally disagree with Allmusic, but then again, I often do.

As if Caravan's career was going to be huge with Cunning Stunt #2
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I rate 1975-76 Caravan above 1972-74.
    Pye's vocals and composing really improved after a couple of years without Richard