Thread: A private, all-prog P2P network...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

A private, all-prog P2P network...

Just musing on possible uses for this technology. It certainly would make sharing your entire digital media collection (not with the whole world) easier and more private.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ork-outside-th
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-02-2015 at 09:36 PM.

That does sound interesting - hope it takes off. Another way to inflict my warped taste in music on less-enlightened friends.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Pedophiles will be thrilled.

Interesting. They leave out some secret sauce about how the neobase units know about each other.
    Somewhere there is a server that knows where all of the units are.
    I prefer to keep my home network unvisited by 'helpful' services and server.
    Napster updated for the modern era. Hmmm. Didn't care for it back then either.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Pedophiles will be thrilled.
    Yeah, I thought of that too - that definitely makes one wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Interesting. They leave out some secret sauce about how the neobase units know about each other.
    Somewhere there is a server that knows where all of the units are.
    I prefer to keep my home network unvisited by 'helpful' services and server.
    Napster updated for the modern era. Hmmm. Didn't care for it back then either.
    I think their network allows the Neobases to connect, but none of the content passes through their network.

Here's a Tech Crunch article about it:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/01/the...work-in-a-box/

Which says:

"In terms of security, the Neobase apps use a secure SSH tunnel to connect to your device and the Neone Network, which is more secure than using a browser with SSL. But the technical underpinnings, which also involves an exchange of public and private keys, is a simple three-step process so users may not even realize how their content is being secured. Of course, nothing is 100% safe against a determined hacker, the device offers some risk reduction versus competing solutions."

Anything secure enough to keep prying government eyes out will be deemed illegal. Wait and see. Yay, Patriot Act!

"But your honor, all we're doing is listening to Glass Hammer albums!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just musing on possible uses for this technology. It certainly would make sharing your entire digital media collection (not with the whole world) easier and more private.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ork-outside-th
    You can already do this in the apple world with Apple tv's AirPlay function, well as airdrop.
    Last edited by jkelman; 04-04-2015 at 05:06 PM.

The proposed product is attractive because it is a self contained unit marketed as a plug and play solution.
    The solution already exists in several forms.
    My Netgear ReadyNas supports secure file sharing with chosen friends. Not cloud based although the service it is called a 'personal cloud'.
    To a certain extent it relies on an external infrastructure to facilitate the 'magic'.
    To do this sort of thing for reals would have your wireless access point talk to neighboring access points and pass packets without touching 'The Internet' except where there is a gap in coverage.
    It all gets back to 'trust' in the long run.
    You may be happily sharing your photos with friends while a neighbor is sharing movies. Eventually someone is going to cross a line and bring The Man down on things.
    Anyhow, check out these projects for current alternatives.
    https://projectmeshnet.org/
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news...sh-networking/
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

If they can't get the $100K, I wonder if they'd get a nibble on Shark Tank?

About the ReadyNAS, what does that do that I couldn't do with my PC? I'm just not sure (aside from the fact that it's obviously better as far as backing up and data redundency.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    About the ReadyNAS, what does that do that I couldn't do with my PC? I'm just not sure (aside from the fact that it's obviously better as far as backing up and data redundency.
    Well, I suppose you could make you PC do a lot of stuff. They are generally good at running whatever can work in a windows environment.
    The ReadyNas is a linux based server purpose built for ...well what it does. It lacks the graphical overhead tasks of windows.
    It ( and NAS's in general ) uses a bit less energy, it's quiet, designed to run 24/7, and are designed around moving data in and out through a variety of protocols.
    I use mine as a Logitech Media Server for my home squeezeboxes, it will serve up video to my TV/HEC
    Some folks use them for video surveillance, web servers, PBX, bittorrent, photo hosting, cloud services .
    There are a bunch of add-ons I don't use but are available. The one I have is kind of high end and runs everything pretty well.
    Some of the entry level models struggle a bit when you try to do too much.
    -- Aristotle