Aqualung
    A Passion Play
    Crest Of A Knave
    Benefit
    Catfish Rising
    Living In The Past
    A Little Light Music
    War Child
    as much as mentionning UW at the top of one's list is pure trollish provocation ( ), while I love RTB, (in my top 6 Tull), putting it at the top is maybe a tad ... whatever..
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Yeah, I noticed your list was quite unusual by PE standards.

Christmas album
    Yes, I've awlays viewed Tull as the English folk rock band sans pareil. I've never thought of them as a prog rock band really.

Also, I think we may find ourselves alone in our appreciation of the Chrimbo album!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I see Progatron had A in his list but expect to be the only one that has the balls to put Under Wraps in there and I'm proud.
    Mr. Toad has Under Wraps in the #1 slot! (I can see how you might have overlooked that, since you were probably scanning the bottom of people's lists ) ... it has some great songs, and Ian sounds fantastic, but like I always say: Gimme Walk Into Light any day.

Four of us have now listed "A". LOVE that album, always have. There are a number of JT albums that could be considered 'most underrated', but that's my pick.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've never thought of them as a prog rock band really.
    I'd dare say most GREAT prog rock bands are actually more than just prog rock bands. Seriously.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

measured by how often I listen to them

Thick As A Brick
    Stand up
    Benefit
    Minstrel
    Songs from the Wood
    Aqualung
    Passion play
    Heavy Horses

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd dare say most GREAT prog rock bands are actually more than just prog rock bands. Seriously.
    I definitely agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm with the Scissor Man on this. Tull are one of the big reasons I got into prog, so I find calling them anything but a progressive rock band to be totally ludicrous.

It's a testament to Jethro Tull that we can pick out 10 top albums and not be scaping the barrel at the end. Most bands never had 10 great albums alone.

I see Progatron had A in his list but expect to be the only one that has the balls to put Under Wraps in there and I'm proud.
    I think it's cool that Ian was open to experimentation and not making AQUALUNG over and over again. I also like his first solo album from the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    It's a testament to Jethro Tull that we can pick out 10 top albums and not be scaping the barrel at the end. Most bands never had 10 great albums alone.
    True, although we are talking about a catalog with 50+ items to choose from (the OP did say *any* albums were eligible for this). I would hope that the top 20% of any band's catalog would not include anything too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    So very true, not many others can do that on both counts:
    Young
    Zappa
    Dylan

So very true, not many others can do that on both counts:
    Young
    Zappa
    Dylan
    I'd add King Crimson...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    7. Rock Island
    Dude, you've got grapes!

Under Wraps is a great album dragged down by a couple of bad songs and a drum machine. As a Tull fanboy, I still love it, though. Just wish it had Doane instead of Dr. Beat.

Not me- the drum machine is part of the charm!

Walk Into Light, fellas.. it trumps Under Wraps (which again, I do like).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Walk into Light has some good stuff for sure, but I give the edge to UW for Nobody's Car, Heat, Saboteur, and Tundra alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Dude, you've got grapes!
    Personally, i think its braver of me on PE to say I dont like TAAB, PP or Minstrel :-)

Haven't listened to 'Under Wraps' in years. Had it, and probably still do, on cassette. I remember not liking the first song a whole lot, but really liking around the 3rd and 4th songs. Will have to revisit it. I do remember liking it more than 'Walk Into Light', personally, and more than some other Tull albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Walk Into Light, fellas.. it trumps Under Wraps (which again, I do like).
    I have to track down WIL again. I remember liking it but liking UW more, with songs like Apogee... I haven't heard WIL in 30 years I bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Under Wraps is a great album dragged down by a couple of bad songs and a drum machine. As a Tull fanboy, I still love it, though. Just wish it had Doane instead of Dr. Beat.
    Come to think of it, if you track down some boots of the tour isn't that exactly what you'd get??

I have to track down WIL again. I remember liking it but liking UW more, with songs like Apogee... I haven't heard WIL in 30 years I bet.

Come to think of it, if you track down some boots of the tour isn't that exactly what you'd get??
    The New Jersey show comes to mind, however they didn't include all of the UW material on the MTV broadcast. I'd love an official release, as the version "Nobody's Car" on the 25th Anniversary is killer.

Personally, i think its braver of me on PE to say I dont like TAAB, PP or Minstrel :-)
    Brave wasn't quite the word I was thinking...

Okay, I'll go with:

Thick As A Brick
    Songs From The Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Minstral In The Gallery
    Passion Play
    Roots To Branches
    Benefit
    Aqualung
    Stand Up
    Crest of a Knave (for Budapest alone)

My favorites:

1) Benefit
    2) Thick as a Brick
    3) Minstrel in the Gallery
    4) Aqualung
    5) Stand Up
    6) A Passion Play
    7) Heavy Horses
    8) Songs From the Wood
    9) War Child
    10) A Broadsword and the Beast

Mine are

1) Thick As A Brick
    2) A Passion Play
    3) Benefit
    4) Chateau D'isaster
    5) Aqualung
    6) Minstrel In The Gallery
    7) Songs From The Wood
    8) A
    9) Stand Up
    10) Thick As A Brick, Part II (yes, I actually like this)

There aren't many BANDS that have ten great albums. Even the legendary ones. Most peter out ofter 6-8.

Bob