Thread: Eric Clapton at 70

Eric Clapton at 70

EC is ...... Good

A tip of the hat to Phil Collins for helping him revive his career in the mid-80's
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    EC is ...... Good

A tip of the hat to Phil Collins for helping him revive his career in the mid-80's

He succeeded beyond the 80s despite the work he did during that decade.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

He succeeded beyond the 80s despite the work he did during that decade.
    I thought "Behind the Sun" and "August" were pretty strong

I saw 'Planes, Trains and Eric' last night on Palladia. I'm sure it was on in honor of his birthday. It was filmed in late 2014, and he and the band were in fine form.

But, there was more than one mention of how much longer he would continue.

The following is from Rolling Stone:
    Plains, Trains and Eric could prove to be an interesting document in Clapton's storied career, as the legendary, nearly 70-year old guitarist recently told Uncut magazine that he's thinking of quitting life on the road. "The road has become unbearable," he said. "It's become unapproachable, because it takes so long to get anywhere. It's hostile – everywhere: getting in and out of airports, traveling on planes and in cars."

Clapton expressed the same sentiment to Rolling Stone last year saying, "When I'm 70, I'll stop. I won't stop playing or doing one-offs, but I'll stop touring, I think." To that end, Clapton added the live shows themselves weren't a problem at all, but the extensive traveling was beginning to take its toll.

Still, Clapton plans to keep playing and working in the studio — within reason, at least: "I don’t want to go off the boil to the point where I’m embarrassing myself," he told Uncut.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3VxwM54aU
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Can't blame him for any of that. Besides his age, it's no fun to travel anymore.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jon Neudorf
    Love Behind the Sun. Great album. Although he has mellowed over the years there is still plenty left in the tank. Even Pilgrim has some stellar guitar. It's just a little more subtle and refined.

I too do not blame him for not touring. That's gotta be harder the older you get.

Anyways happy birthday Eric Clapton. One of my favourite artists.

Regards,
    Jon

That's one dude I've never seen live, even after all these years. I have had plenty of opportunities to see his shows but just never did. Defo would like to catch him if he expands the current tour.
    In fact I have been trying to see as many artists whom I have never seen before, not only for the nostalgia factor but also because they ain't gonna be around much longer. Case & point: Bob Seger, the last time he blew thru town. Had never seen him before & although I was never a big fan or anything back in the day, his songs were a part of my youth. It was a great show & I loved every minute of it! Hate getting old!

Can't say I've kept up with EC over the years, but the DVD with him and Steve Winwood performing at Madison Square Garden in 2008 is excellent. They came up with a great line up of songs and knocked the ball out of the park IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    Can't say I've kept up with EC over the years, but the DVD with him and Steve Winwood performing at Madison Square Garden in 2008 is excellent. They came up with a great line up of songs and knocked the ball out of the park IMO.
    Totally agree.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Happy Birthday Eric. I really enjoyed the Cream reunion video. He should not play with Jeff Beck though. The contrast is stark (Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's).

I remember when 461 Ocean Boulevard was released and they played every song of it on the radio. I loved that summer listening to music and that maybe the reason I still love that record. Like some of Layla album also, but not really a big fan of him.

Clappy's best years were with Cream. Happy Birthday God.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Clappy's best years were with Cream. Happy Birthday God.
    Cream, Layla with Duane, Blind Faith, John Mayall and Eric's first solo album, all great.

Blind Faith is pretty good.

Slowhand is a legitimate guitar god, but for some reason doesn't get those "ooo's and ahh's" that legends often get when their names are mentioned. I always wonder how Clapton's legend would have held up had he died of an overdose after making Layla?
    Untimely death is a shrewd career move, great for building a legacy. For example, Johnny Winter versus Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Anyway, glad Eric was able to reach his 70th year.

Bob

God led a charmed life.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

No god's a man.

Clapton peaked out as a guitar player after Derek and the Dominos imo. He became a fine singer and songwriter, but nothing really special as a guitar player... and God he never was. Even in his heyday I preferred Hendrix, Beck, Page and Kath, much as I loved Cream.

I learned a few guitar licks listening to Cream. Those solos where easy to copy. The intro of Sunshine Of Your Love was the Smoke On The Water of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSixFan View Post
    Untimely death is a shrewd career move, great for building a legacy. For example, Johnny Winter versus Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Good point. Bad example. Nobody in recent memory had a musical legacy like Johnny Winter. I'd put his body of work up against anyone in the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Good point. Bad example. Nobody in recent memory had a musical legacy like Johnny Winter. I'd put his body of work up against anyone in the genre.
    I absolutely couldn't agree with you more, but the common perception seems to be otherwise, tragically. And I love SRV.

Bob

With Mayall he invented that sound!!, LP through a Marshall. Killer....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    With Mayall he invented that sound!!, LP through a Marshall. Killer....
    Yeah, maybe that was the "godly" part. I was bummed when he switched to a Strat. Same with Jeff Beck actually, but now I can't imagine him not playing one.