Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Most drastic changes in sound on consecutive albums (1971-1975)

No other drastic changes in sound on consecutive albums had more of an impact outside the music business (and will be taught in American History classes if it isn't already) than Dylan from acoustic to electric. (albums named in my earlier post).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Santana III to Caravanseria couldn't be more of a drastic change for me. Strange how I guess at my age at that time I didn't find it strange, I loved it the first time putting it on my turntable.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Return To Forever wins this one hands down with the DRASTIC change in sound
    from the Brazilian Jazz of Light As A Feather
    to the hard Rock Symphonic Fusion of Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy
    But then how about from Romantic Warrior to Musicmagic? Pretty drastic there also.

One more vote for the disastrous change of One Live Badger into White Ladies...

Focus 'Hamburger Concerto' change of style into Mother Focus also jars, as does Wishbone Ash from the elegance of Argus to the mundane hard rock of IV.
    Other choices: East of Eden from Snafu to all the albums that came next, and Blue Cheer from Outside/Inside to New Improved and their following albums.
    And, Culpepers Orchard from the still proggy Second Sight to the country rock of Going for a Song.
    A few years before the time frame of this thread, I would say that The Byrds' transformation from Notorius Byrd Brothers to Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Quicksilver Messenge Service from Happy Trails to Shady Grove were also fairly drastic... as well as the Stones from Between the Buttons to Satanic Majesties and then again Beggars Banquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Nektar - Sunday night at London Roundhouse (or Remember the future) -> Down to earth
    ...and with NO changes in the line-up, the sound on consecutive Nektar albums changed from 1971 thru 1976, including A Tab in the Ocean to Sounds like This to Remember the Future to Down to Earth to Recycled. The two LIVE double albums (1973 & 1974) were merely the concert repertoire at that time, thus they were a cross section of ALL the changes in Nektar sounds... with NO overdubs!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    But then how about from Romantic Warrior to Musicmagic? Pretty drastic there also.
    yes indeed... but in the WRONG direction!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Maybe Genesis from SEBTP to Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
    I don't think this was such a drastic change - this is still very definitely the Genesis who recorded SEBTP - but the Lamb is different from the three albums that preceded it, in a way i find hard to define. Tracks from Nursery Cryme could be swapped with some on Foxtrot, or some on Selling England, and they would not sound out of place. The Lamb is not like that. It's not just the fact that it's a full concept album, or that the lyrical themes are American rather than English. there is something about the music on The Lamb that gives it a sense of mystery and foreboding that I don't get from the earlier albums.

I think from The Lamb to Trick of the Tail was a bigger shift. Gabriel's influence seemed to give the band's music a kind of chaotic nature, which some people loved and some didn't, there is very little of that on Trick; words I would use to describe the music on Trick are "clean", "crisp", "tight", "structured".

Hawkwind - warrior on the edge of time to astounding sounds amazing music