Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marillion weekend - Holland (setlist spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Would they be doing 'Somewhere Else' at a subsequent weekend? With a few exceptions that's an album I've always really enjoyed, I liked it when it came out and I like it more now. But it was hated by many fans when it came out, I was on the forum then.
    It seems likely as 2017 will be the 10th anniversary of that album. I like it a lot as well although it's true that many hated it when it was released. I don't think that would deter the band, after all they played Radiation in 2011 and it's said to be the most hated H-era album.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Also, based on the show I saw and the 'Somewhere In London' DVD, the material sounded even better live.

In reverse, I remember upon release the 'Happiness Is The Road' double being ecstatically received on their forum and then the tide turning when they took it on tour. If memory recalls on one later gig in that 2008 UK tour, I read about one of the band saying that the reception reassured them!

Also, based on the show I saw and the 'Somewhere In London' DVD, the material sounded even better live.
    I agree!

In reverse, I remember upon release the 'Happiness Is The Road' double being ecstatically received on their forum and then the tide turning when they took it on tour. If memory recalls on one later gig in that 2008 UK tour, I read about one of the band saying that the reception reassured them!
    I seem to remember the band was clearly underprepared at the beginning of the 2008 tour and it was audible in their playing. I think that's what caused the uproar.
    That being said, I was quite enthusiastic about HitR when it came out but it's not an album I return to often these days.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I remain enthusiastic about 'Essence' as I played it recently. 'The Hard Shoulder', not so much. 'Asylum Satellite' and 'Real Tears For Sale' are the best things on it. I never got stuff like 'Thunderfly' or 'Planet Marzipan' at all, they sound like jam sessions with Hogarth singing 'placeholder' lyrics over the top.

There was a feeling that the 'Essence' material was too slow live or something, and not dynamic enough to grab people. I never saw that tour but I also seem to recall they played bits from it rather than the whole suite (starting with 'Nothing Fills The Hole'...I think??) and much of the album wouldn't make sense like that IMHO. I suppose they'd do it live in full at a future weekend.

Would they be doing 'Somewhere Else' at a subsequent weekend? With a few exceptions that's an album I've always really enjoyed, I liked it when it came out and I like it more now. But it was hated by many fans when it came out, I was on the forum then.
    I think it's quite likely they will do that one in 2017. I like the album quite a bit (apart from a couple of tracks). I think it was largely dismissed because of the albums that preceded and followed it. Also, there was no deluxe 'campaign' edition or any other fanfare/hoopla surrounding it. It was simply a single-disc album release (which there's nothing wrong with of course). The towering double-album sets with all the bells, whistles and artwork that bookended that release made it pale in comparison, at least for some people.

Yes, I've said numerous times that Somewhere In London showcases that material beautifully - in fact, it's my favourite live Marillion release ever! I've seen quite a bit of that album live myself and I've always enjoyed it. But then, I'm a fan of seeing lesser-known tracks live. One example that I loved, that nobody ever seems to mention is "Especially True", from Happiness Is The Road. Speaking of which...

I remain enthusiastic about 'Essence' as I played it recently. 'The Hard Shoulder', not so much. 'Asylum Satellite' and 'Real Tears For Sale' are the best things on it. I never got stuff like 'Thunderfly' or 'Planet Marzipan' at all, they sound like jam sessions with Hogarth singing 'placeholder' lyrics over the top.
    I still really like both discs. More so than when they were released, actually. Once you can accept that they are going to largely stick with the mid-tempo stuff now, you can enjoy the fact that they do it very, very well. The campaign edition of Happiness Is The Road is an absolutely gorgeous release. And most of the songs are great IMO. I was a big fan of the idea: one disc a conceptual thing, a second disc of unrelated tracks, culminating in the beautiful "Real Tears For Sale".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^It's interesting, 'Especially True' for me epitomises their uninteresting mid-tempo plodders. 'Older Than Me' was another one on there I felt went nowhere. For me the epic, slow-build stuff is simply what they do best, rather than the generic ballad stuff. I do like 'Half The World' on that album though, and 'Whatever Is Wrong With You' at least has a bit of firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

As I may have mentioned here before, to my ears "Sugar Mice" is the one that sounds so perfectly suited to H that it may as well have been his all along.
    I completely disagree with that. While Hogarth can maybe make something like Incommunicado work, Sugar Mice is has the Fish DNA written all over it. Hogarth is totally unconvincing singing Sugar Mice in my opinion.