Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just saw ELP's Trilogy to be in 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This sounds very encouraging. Thanks for your review. "Fun" isn't a term I would have used to describe the BSS 5.1 mix. I had been holding off ordering Trilogy until I saw some reviews. Based on yours and a few others up thread, I've just ordered it.

I'm also looking forward to hearing the "new" version of Living Sin. Was there any discussion in the liner notes on why this song in particular varies from the original?
    Cheers!

My comments were simply off-the-cuff after one cursory listen, rather than a full-on analytical review, which I'm sure others are better qualified to undertake. I tend to go with gut instinct on a first listen.

The liner notes are a thorough overview of the band's career to that point, but light on studio details.

Jakko does go into a little detail about the challenges of resurrecting the album from the original tapes - this time he wasn't handed a box of labelled reels, but instead everything on one hard drive, with no file references on any of the digital files contained therein. So he had a mountain of digital bits to work through to get the set to where it is now. Given that the new stereo mix offers subtle differences while still being respectful of the original, is quite an achievement under the circumstances.

I'm sure you might find out more if Jakko does any interviews to promote the set.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This sounds very encouraging. Thanks for your review. "Fun" isn't a term I would have used to describe the BSS 5.1 mix. I had been holding off ordering Trilogy until I saw some reviews. Based on yours and a few others up thread, I've just ordered it.

I'm also looking forward to hearing the "new" version of Living Sin. Was there any discussion in the liner notes on why this song in particular varies from the original?
    None whatsoever...in fact it is my theory that nobody even noticed. What seems to have happened is that at the multi-track stage the song has had a certain arrangement (the one which now appears on Jakko's new stereo version), but that once they'd mixed down to stereo, they decided to lose a few bars of instrumental in favour of splicing in the `chorus' for the second time to give the song a bit more structure. The sleeve notes don't even mention this quite significant difference, although we do get to learn that "Keith and Carl strip down for funky action that includes some nifty snare drumming". The track itself is referred to as `Living Sun' each time it appears in the track listings on the packaging, for which there is no excuse really.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Keith and Carl strip down for funky action
    Oo-er!

Just finished listening to the 5.1 DTS mix. This may be my favorite 5.1 mix ELP has released! I don't have BSS in 5.1, since I refuse to pay so much money! There is so much to hear on this new Trilogy! Living Sin version is much better to me: an instrumental passage I didn't remember from original, as well as additional vocal. So far I'm VERY pleased with this release. Have not heard the new CD mix yet. I always buy these new versions for 5.1. I LOVE music in 5.1!!!

One more thing: back cover says new 5.1 mix is also available in MLP lossless surround. However I can't find it anywhere on the DVD menu. Anyone know where this might be? Or is this an error?