Thread: RIP-Andy Frazer of Free!

RIP-Andy Frazer of Free!

His bass line in All Right Now will surely be remembered as one of the most memorable in Rock music!!!

The writer of All Right Now – who had previously fought both AIDS and cancer – has died at his home in California
    Free bassist Andy Fraser has died at the age of 62, it's been confirmed.

He passed away on Monday morning. His cause of death has not been confirmed, but he'd been dealing with AIDS and cancer in recent years.

An official statement says: "Andrew McLan Fraser passed away on Monday at his home in California. He leaves behind his daughters Hannah and Jasmine Fraser, and their mother Ri, his sister Gail, brothers Gavin and Alex, and many friends and associates in the industry.

“A survivor of both cancer and AIDS, Andy was a strong social activist and defender of individual human rights.”

Fraser was born in London in 1952 and was a founding member of Free at the age of just 15. As well as his work with Free, he had success with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers and Sharks.

In the 1980s he was diagnosed with HIV and a form of cancer called Kaposi's Sarcoma and he battled with suicidal thoughts which, he wrote on his website, were only alleviated when he came out as gay.

Fraser had recently been a leading light in the Rock Against Trafficking charity. President Gary Miller said: “My dear friend did so much for the organisation, and for me personally.

“He was my little big brother and one of the greatest bass players and songwriters of all time.”

RIP. Sorry about this. "All Right Now" is a rock anthem for the ages.

Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke comment on death of bassist at 62
    Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke have led tributes to former Free bandmate Andy Fraser, who died on Monday aged 62.

His passing was confirmed last night. No cause of death has been reported, but he’d been dealing with AIDS and cancer for many years.

Singer Rodgers said simply: “Losing Andy is very personal. No words. Sad day.”

Drummer Kirke said: “Andy didn’t think of himself as a bass player, more a musician who could play anything to ‘get the thing going.’ When I last saw him he took me for a spin in his car, while he played some tracks he’d written. He’d played everything, but it was his singing that surprised me the most.

“He was a consummate musician. A unique player. We will never see his like again.”

Quireboys frontman Spike tells TeamRock of his shock just as his Spike’s Free House project was preparing to tour with Fraser. He says: “Andy was so looking forward to playing with Simon again and reviving those old Free classics and the work of Frankie Miller.

“Everyone was getting ready for rehearsals in May. The flights were booked, the studio space was set aside and we just couldn’t wait to get going.

“I just can’t believe it. It’s too early to even think about what we might do now. Everyone needs time to reflect. It’s a sad time for fans of Free and the whole of the rock world – Andy was a supreme musician and very brave man, and he’ll be sorely missed.”

Glenn Hughes, who’d been planning a collaboration with Fraser, said: “My biggest bass-playing influence. Honoured to have shared the stage with you. You are loved, my brother.”

Joe Bonamassa reported: “I’m extraordinarily sad – Andy was one of the greatest and I was proud to call him my friend.”

Fraser’s daughter Hannah hailed his “fearless commitment to honesty and justice” through his work with the Rock Against Trafficking charity, the Occupy movement and his standpoint on gay rights and ecological issues.

She added: “Andy was a survivor who overcame some of the most challenging health issues in his life. He left this earth healthy, happy and full of plans to make this world a better place for us all. It's alright now, and he's finally free.”

TeamRock Radio will pay tribute to Fraser this evening. The Classic Rock Magazine show is dedicated to his work, complete with an in-depth interview conducted by host Nicky Horne, in which the musician discussed frankly the ups and downs of his life.

bass players like andy frazer often gave their co-musicians the wings to fly. the same can be said of mike porcaro in a sad week for music so far. RiP.

A great musician. His bass style was very unique. His choice of notes were unusual, he played a lot up the neck, left a lot of space and still made the whole thing groove. Thick sound too.