Thread: Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase. Tour (Spoilers!)

Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase. Tour (Spoilers!)

One the best gigs I've experienced in years!

All of the band brought their A-Game to the table, and the light show and backscreen visuals were well thought out and effective.

Band played for just over two hours, but it felt much longer (in a good way). As others have commented elsewhere it's a better balanced and varied set than the Raven tour, with a couple of nice surprises that fit really well within the overall vibe of the new album.

Set list included all of the new album (but played in chunks, with other material interspersed in between), plus Harmony Korine, Index, The Watchmaker, Raven, Lazarus and Let's Sleep Together (this last one might sound like a surprise choice but it worked really well at that point in the show.)

I don't think I've been as totally in the zone for a show as I was last night - every note, every nuanced move, every image on the screen. My wife was the same, and she's not a regular gig-goer.

There were so many 'moments', that it would be unfair to single any individual out - I'm just glad that I got see this show with Marco and Guthrie in the line-up.

Lots and lots of discussion among the crowd on the way out - moreso than usual.

For those still to see this show, I envy you.

Transience was left out, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Transience was left out, wasn't it?
    Well spotted. I hadn't realised this until you pointed it out.

I guess I was having such a good time that it didn't seem to matter.

I was at the Manchester concert on Saturday evening. So far, the set-list has been identical for the four concerts to date. I agree that it was an impressive show and musical experience, and this was my first SW-related concert. The subtlety of the recent release was swapped for a more 'rock-out' live rendition. I found the back projection distracting at times, so I was half-glad I was high up and could concentrate more on the stage and the music. I may have found it less easy to concentrate on the music if I'd been lower down, with the screen in full view. All in all a great concert, and I'll be looking out for his next visit round our way.

I'll be seeing him in May at the Keswick.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Going to see both Chicago shows. Wonder if he varies the setlist in cities with multiple shows?

Theo Travis guested last night in London for the final 6 songs. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven...-3bcbc49c.html
    NYC for me.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Planning to see Philly and both NYC shows end of May, stoked! Love the new album! First time seeing SW "solo", but saw PT in '96 (ProgScape) and '99 (opening for Gong at Phantasmagoria) in Baltimore, plus at NF and on Fear tour in Raleigh.

Disappointed that we won't have Guthrie and Marco, but I'm sure the US shows will be fantastic, too. Plus, I'll try to see The Aristocrats when they tour this year, too.

I'll be seeing him in Albany, also disappointed about Guthrie and Marco not being on the US Tour, but I am sure the replacement players will be great. Not a fan of "Let's Sleep Together", but maybe they will mix it up once they cross the pond. So many other songs I would prefer over that one.

This will be my first time seeing him solo also although I've seen PT three times(twice in 01 and once in 05). I actually don't own any of his solo albums so what's a good place to start?

Also, apparently he doesn't play any PT material at all during his solo shows. Not a big deal to me but can anyone confirm that?
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-17-2015 at 10:35 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Also, apparently he doesn't play any PT material at all during his solo shows. Not a big deal to me but can anyone confirm that?
    NOT! Are you familiar at all with the PT catalog? Lazarus and Let's Sleep Together are both PT songs. And if I remember correctly, he play Sound of Muzak last year too? Go figure!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    NOT! Are you familiar at all with the PT catalog? Lazarus and Let's Sleep Together are both PT songs. And if I remember correctly, he play Sound of Muzak last year too? Go figure!
    He also played Radioactive Toy in 2013 tour.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I think this set list is here to stay, all of the visuals are so integral to the show that they will not be pulling out random back catalogue tracks.

I was the Troxy gig in London last night and I concur with everything Valen posted, it was spell-binding and the crowd was so rapt with attention that you could hear a pin drop in the quieter moments. I loved the way at the end of Raven, there was not a murmur until Adam's piano coda was complete. All of them were on top form, and it was wonderful to get Theo Travis for one night only.

There were a lot of the progniscenti in attendance, apparently David Gilmour made his appearance backstage to congratulate the band, and Steve Rotary was seen in the bar. Marco posted that Bono was also there, but I saw a spitting image Bono clone, but am sure it wasn't him.

I wish I had tickets for another show, it was that good, and the sound balance was perfect and not too loud at all.

I hope they film the European leg, it would make sense with Marco and Guthrie only on for these shows, as they are vital components of the music, and this shows should be preserved for posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I wish I had tickets for another show, it was that good
    That's exactly how I feel two days on. I keep going over the images and melodies.

As corny as it sounds, I actually feel privileged to have been able to see one of these shows.

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I think this set list is here to stay, all of the visuals are so integral to the show that they will not be pulling out random back catalogue tracks.

I was the Troxy gig in London last night and I concur with everything Valen posted, it was spell-binding and the crowd was so rapt with attention that you could hear a pin drop in the quieter moments. I loved the way at the end of Raven, there was not a murmur until Adam's piano coda was complete. All of them were on top form, and it was wonderful to get Theo Travis for one night only.

There were a lot of the progniscenti in attendance, apparently David Gilmour made his appearance backstage to congratulate the band, and Steve Rotary was seen in the bar. Marco posted that Bono was also there, but I saw a spitting image Bono clone, but am sure it wasn't him.

I wish I had tickets for another show, it was that good, and the sound balance was perfect and not too loud at all.

I hope they film the European leg, it would make sense with Marco and Guthrie only on for these shows, as the
    are vital components of the music, and this shows should be preserved for posterity.
    Wasn't bono in the crows at the Monaco v arsenal game last night? He had several closeups on the tv coverage . I'm agreeing with all the positive comments, is this going to go down as a landmark tour that will be reminisced about for years I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Wasn't bono in the crows at the Monaco v arsenal game last night? He had several closeups on the tv coverage . I'm agreeing with all the positive comments, is this going to go down as a landmark tour that will be reminisced about for years I wonder
    There was a fellow who was a Bono look-alike in the chippie I was in before the show, chowing down on fish and chips...

Wonderful show. I had a great seat in the middle, right behind the mixing desk. SW's mum was right in front of me and looked very touched when SW dedicated The Raven to his father, alongside Daevid Allen. John Mitchell was sitting two along from me (arrived very late) with Steve Rothery a few more seats down. Both of the musos sat with arms crossed, looking pretty disinterested! I think Dave Kerzner was in the row behind, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Correct. Bono and U2 were in Monaco Tuesday evening.

Aristocrats just posted NAmerican shows...irving plaza NYC in august, tix on sale this friday.