Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Rush : Snakes And Arrows

FEATURED CD - Rush : Snakes And Arrows

We've discussed so many other Rush albums, that this one deserves a mention. Not my favorite Rush album, though many Rush fans love it. Per our friend "Trane" - posted on prog Archives:
    The decidedly tireless trio is now back after a three years silence, interrupted only with the cover album Feedback, Rush comes back with their stronger albums over the last two decades (at least, but I'm not that familiar with some of their albums) and it came at a point when the band seemed more content on living on their own heritage and legend (DVD's, live albums, world tours etc..), but this fear is now history! Fear and angst is exactly what this album is about: Peart's lyrics seem to make a constant theme over the whole album (wouldn't call this a concept album, though) and Lifeson is the unsung hero and loads the album with acoustic guitars. With a related artwork depicting a gloomy world full of dangers and destructions, until the prophetic and hope- filled end of We Hold On (where you see the skies of the futures clearing away), it only serves the themes

Starting on the very strong Far Cry (almost bringing us back to Waves) and its failed expectations message is one of the album's highlights. The next Armour And Sword follows suit and delivers a message of fanatism used as weapons, but we are more in the Signals realm, musically speaking. While Angels and its follow-up Larger Bowl are both acoustically-driven, they are uneven and present a shallower depth on the album's overall tenure, the later being an obvious reef in the album's smooth sailing. The album experiences a second wind with the very good but dark Spindrift, which is of the opening Far Cry's stature. But the main bravado piece is the excellent Main Monkey Business instrumental bringing us to MP's YYZ track, but fails to better its model.

Unfortunately after the bluesy and overlong Wind Blows (still catchy, though) and the short acoustic guitar instrumental Hope, S&A seems to drift a little too easily in a less-inspired vein, with three below-par tracks (for S&A, but they would be highlights on many other albums of theirs): Faithless is a tired reflection on religions and the tired music fits it quite well, while Bravest Face is the low point on the album (just saved by its chorus), and Good News First is anything but that, really!! By this time, the listener is K-O from the sheer mass of noise and even if Malignant Narcissism is a fiery instrumental, again in the YYZ vein, it comes simply after the overdose set in! The closing We Hold On is another track that could've sat on Pictures or Signals, but it is too late, this listener has hung up!

I can fully agree with my buddy Tony Riviere that this album is certainly Rush's best in the last 25 years and even up to Moving Pictures, but it is a far cry from that landmark as well! I certainly wouldn't call this essential, unless you feel like owning one album per decade from a classic band. Had this album an epic track on it, it could've even bettered some of their early works. Had this album had three songs less (from 10-12), it might have been less watered down!! But let's not nitpick, there are some really good moments on this album that can occasionally bring you back to the trio's heyday glories, but this is far from often, though! A good album that shows Rush still has some spunk left.
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15062

Regards,

Duncan

It seemed pretty good at the time but hasn't aged as well as the ones to either side of it for me. Apart from Far Cry this one is a rather long slog for me to sit through. The instrumentals are all sorta non eventful too, despite there being three on it. Not bad at all, but my least fave of the ones since they came back.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It seemed pretty good at the time but hasn't aged as well as the ones to either side of it for me. Apart from Far Cry this one is a rather long slog for me to sit through. The instrumentals are all sorta non eventful too, despite there being three on it. Not bad at all, but my least fave of the ones since they came back.
    ^this pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I listen to VT or CA far more often.

Although I do think Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels are stronger albums, I think "Far Cry" is one of the best tracks they've ever done. I also love "We Hold On". Good album, just not one of their best - but then, they set their own bar pretty high.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I still like it a lot. In fact for me I thought it was a bit of a creative comeback as the two previous albums are not favorites of mine. Clockwork Angels was better overall, but I still dig this one too.

after track 6 boredom had set in. but these first six tracks sit comfortably among what RUSH does best. i especially like “the larger bowl” even if only for its relative novelty value – and learning what a “pantoum” is. +1@progatron; “a far cry” is a stone cold latter-day RUSH classic, as representative for them as a lot of older stuff.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Bravest face is actually one of my favorite songs on S & A. I love the bluesy guitar solo.

I find most of Rush has done in the last about 20 years is repetition. There's good moments on every album but nothing to make me feel as though it has moved forward in anyway. This one falls right in with the rest. Albeit not a bad album, just as they say nothing to write home about.

The survivors for me are Far Cry, Larger Bowl, and this instrumental:

This is the last Rush tour I was able to see, two days before I hit the big Five-0. I hang the lithograph from this tour on the wall in my man cave. Good times.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't think I bought it until about two or three years ago(probably around the same time I bought clockwork angels). I actually had the live album that this is from before I heard this(probably bought that in 2010 or 2011). Anyway, it's a good album but not a great album. The instrumentals are some of their best(at least from after YYZ) but that's not enough to make this better than any of their seventies or eighties albums imo.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I heard it on Youtube a couple years ago. Yeah, Far Cry is a good song but tje rest was ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz......... I'm glad I didn't buy the album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't think I bought it until about two or three years ago(probably around the same time I bought clockwork angels). I actually had the live album that this is from before I heard this(probably bought that in 2010 or 2011). Anyway, it's a good album but not a great album. The instrumentals are some of their best(at least from after YYZ) but that's not enough to make this better than any of their seventies or eighties albums imo.
    Seeing as you're called Digital Man, how were you able to wait two years before hearing it?

I guess you just have a flexible plan...

Like most of Rush's latter-day albums, it helps to listen on headphones to better concentrate on the interplay between Neil and Geddy, and also just to focus on Neil's playing.

Just IMO. This really paid off with Feedback and Vapor Trails.

It'd be great if it was shorter. My issue with every Rush album since PoW is that they're just too damn long and monotony sets in since they don't do any longer tracks anymore with extended intros and atmospheric parts to break up the hard rock sound. Make S&A an 8-9 song album and extend some of the instrumentals and other songs a bit with more eccentric sections and you really have a stunning album. This is basically what they did with CA and I'm convinced that's why it was so damn good.

I'd still say that, save for Counterparts, it's the best album they've released since the mid 80s.

I may be in the minority, but I personally think SaA has some of Rush's best material on it. There are several tracks I could take or leave, but nothing cringe-worthy (imho, of course).
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Seeing as you're called Digital Man, how were you able to wait two years before hearing it?

I guess you just have a flexible plan...

Like most of Rush's latter-day albums, it helps to listen on headphones to better concentrate on the interplay between Neil and Geddy, and also just to focus on Neil's playing.

Just IMO. This really paid off with Feedback and Vapor Trails.
    That's a good question. A good question indeed. For one thing I was tight on money but also it just wasn't a high priority after being disappointed with Vapor Trails. I echo others sentiments on here. It's decent enough but I find most of the songs to be rather bland. It grows on you a bit though. I think CWA is more solid from start to finish.

With a drummer like Neil you can always just concentrate on his playing so in that sense I agree with you. Listening to the drumming can make it easier to let the whole song wash through you. Also, Neil's lyrics are usually very good too so there's that.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    It'd be great if it was shorter. My issue with every Rush album since PoW is that they're just too damn long and monotony sets in since they don't do any longer tracks anymore with extended intros and atmospheric parts to break up the hard rock sound. Make S&A an 8-9 song album and extend some of the instrumentals and other songs a bit with more eccentric sections and you really have a stunning album. This is basically what they did with CA and I'm convinced that's why it was so damn good.
    That's a good point. Personally even though S&A has 3 or 4 songs that haven't worn well I like it better than C(mf)A. That one never did click for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Pretty much sums up this one for me as well. I do agree "Far Cry" is a strong track, but other than that I couldn't name a song off the album or find a hummable melody. That's a problem.

I like that they were starting to play more with textures, at least in the guitar department with the acoustic stuff, but they could have gone much further in that regard IMO.

I don't think they were necessarily phoning it in on this one, but they just weren't reaching for anything like they did on Clockwork Angels. I feel like at this stage unless Rush are really challenging themselves this is about as good as it gets. Maybe that's why they're thinking of calling it a day.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Apart from the excellent Far Cry and the instrumentals, this is unlistenable to me. A lot of mid-tempo songs that just slog along, with overly-wordy lyrics shoe-horned into awkward melodies. Add to that the "how many extra bass, guitar, vocal and keyboard tracks can we cram into each song" approach and Geddy's "whimpering puppy" singing (I think Vic coined that) and you've got an album that I own only for the sake of completism. And as DTA said, it is lacking the clever eccentric instrumental breaks and interludes that are the hallmark of Rush.

Yet, I like the albums before and after this one, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels. And both of those have multiple-instrument clutter but other aspects of the album redeem them.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

The songs on this cd are what got me back into Rush after about a 20-year period of not paying any attention to them. It does peter out toward the end, but the first half is IMHO as good as anything they have ever done.

Geddy's "whimpering puppy" singing (I think Vic coined that)
    Someone else said that on a Rush thread a few years ago, but I laughed so hard I ran with it. It was right on the money. Geddy's whimper was present on Vapor Trails too. I guess it's supposed to be this emotional, sincere delivery of the lyrics. Well, Geddy is one of those singers in rock music that polarizes people. I've never had a problem with his screeching vocals in the 70s. Today he's just tolerable.

Why oh why can I not get into any Rush album since Signals?

And I've tried. I really have.
    The Prog Corner

Liked it when it was out and played it a lot. I don't even have it now, I got a bit weary of it after a while- my tastes have changed, I don't like the bludgeoning production anymore. I'd agree 'Far Cry' is a strong track.

Basically all the latter day Rush songs I like are on that Retrospective III compilation, so I'm good with that.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-16-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Why oh why can I not get into any Rush album since Signals?

And I've tried. I really have.
    A whole host of reasons. There are two post-Signals albums I like a lot (Power Windows, Clockwork Angels) and two that I like a fair bit of (Test for Echo, Vapor Trails)... but none come close to anything from 2112 though Signals. Then there are a bunch I actually hate.

Yet many post-Signals songs that I wasn't crazy about wound up sounding better in concert... so what occurred post-Signals to perhaps account for the lousy studio sound that ranged from wimpy to cluttered? The end of the Broon era (Terry Brown as producer). Sure, there were other factors such as Rush's phase of deciding they were ~singer/songwriters~ and didn't need clever instrumental passages when standard verse/chorus songwriting would do.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Far Cry, Armor & Sword, Spindrift, MMB, Way The Wind Blows, and Malignant Narcissism; otherwise, my least favorite of the three 00s "comeback" Rush.