Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Rush : Snakes And Arrows

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Far Cry, Armor & Sword, Spindrift, MMB, Way The Wind Blows, and Malignant Narcissism; otherwise, my least favorite of the three 00s "comeback" Rush.
    yeah but those are all GREAT tracks. Would be worth the price of many cds just for those. I like Larger Bowl and Workin' them Angels too. The rest is what it is.

I heard someone say something once to the effect that only the instrumentals on here are good. I would add "far cry" to that and maybe one or two other vocal tracks but I'd say that's probably not too far from the truth.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Why oh why can I not get into any Rush album since Signals?

And I've tried. I really have.
    I'm bad but not as bad as that. I lose complete interest after '87. "the Pass" begins and typifies the malaise. Absolute silly, lazy ass yuck!

These guys are not percocious singer songwriters. Joni Mitchell, their fellow Canuck is light years ahead of them in that department. That's notbwhat made them interesting. You think there's some "singer songwriter worthy twee" in Natural Science? No way. By the way, Steven Wilson's 2nd song from the new record--very much a Permanent Waves vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Apart from the excellent Far Cry and the instrumentals, this is unlistenable to me.
    Ditto. For Rush, it's pretty blah, like the uninteresting songs on Presto, RTB and TFE.

A lot of mid-tempo songs that just slog along, with overly-wordy lyrics shoe-horned into awkward melodies.
    After the lyrical tour de force of Vapor Trails, IMHO Neil phoned it in for much of S&A.

Geddy's "whimpering puppy" singing

Yet, I like the albums before and after this one, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels.
    HUGE ditto to that.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Why oh why can I not get into any Rush album since Signals?

And I've tried. I really have.
    You're not alone. That's me as well. I exited on "Grace Under Pressure".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It's long and lyrically it is the most unrelentingly downer/pessimistic album Rush has ever made. Clockwork Angels makes me think and makes me feel happy to be alive. Snakes And Arrows just makes me feel bad.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I'm bad but not as bad as that. I lose complete interest after '87. "the Pass" begins and typifies the malaise. Absolute silly, lazy ass yuck!

These guys are not percocious singer songwriters. Joni Mitchell, their fellow Canuck is light years ahead of them in that department. That's notbwhat made them interesting. You think there's some "singer songwriter worthy twee" in Natural Science? No way. By the way, Steven Wilson's 2nd song from the new record--very much a Permanent Waves vibe.
    It's interesting isn't it, that they go for this more lyric, 'song' based rock these days, whereas (IMHO) their strength was always more in the playing. The 'hooks' in their earlier work are generally within the riffs and the playing itself, for me at least.

I just remember playing it one last time several years ago now, and wondering what I'd seen in it. I suppose it was the first Rush album that had come out whilst I was into the band, really ('Vapor Trails' came out around the same time as I first heard their stuff so that passed me by at the time), and there was a big 'return to form' hype.

Being objective, based on the later ones I did hear (not sure if I ever did bother with 'Test For Echo'), it's better than most, I suppose.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-17-2015 at 06:45 AM.

Far too much acoustic electric guitar on this one for me. I dig Far Cry and Spindrift - that's about it.

For me, the egregious albums that are "long on singer/songwriter, short on prog" are Presto, Roll the Bones and Counterparts. Yes, Counterparts is supposedly a "return to heavy Rush" but there's not a whole lotta prog on there, none of the interesting musical twists and turns you expect from Rush.

These albums also started the trend of songs that are TOO LONG. Yes, a 5-6 minute Rush song can be too long if it's standard verse/chorus "songcraft". Some of these songs should have ended at 2-3 minutes because there's nothing interesting going on to justify lengths of 4:30, 5:00 and 5:30. Without wacky instrumental breaks, how many times can I hear a dreary chorus of "we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."?

This is why I like Clockwork Angels. It's apparently throwing a bone to those of us who long for the old Rush - lots of fiery playing and instrumental grandstanding. "Headlong Flight" is over 7 minutes yet it seems to fly by because there is no sludge dragging it down.

While Vapor Trails is also lacking wild instrumental breaks, it distinguishes itself by urgent, fiery playing, good melodies and some of Neil's best lyrics. Unfortunately the sound was horrific, but the remix is considerably better.

And you're right Frumious, S&A is one depressing album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I thought VT was great and doubted Rush could pull off something like that again just a few years later, but I was surprised how boring most of S&A was. Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business and MN are the only three songs I listen to - around 14 minutes of music on a 60 minute CD.

I'll agree that the album is a bit of a mixed bag, but I'm a bit surprised there aren't as many fans of Workin' Them Angels, which is one of my favorite tracks from the album. I also think that Malignant Narcissism is probably the best instrumental they have done in years. Kinda wish it was longer, but given it came right at the end of the recording session, I'll take it.

I'm amazed how many of you liked The Larger Bowl. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm amazed how many of you liked The Larger Bowl. :P
    It's all down to personal preference

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Different strokes; the next two are my all time fravorite Rush albums that they've never managed to equal.

'Power Windows' is a very good album- 'The Big Money' and 'Marathon' are two of their best tracks. 'Hold Your Fire' not so much, but it has a few gems (and a few turkeys).

"The Main Monkey Business" is the main draw for me. Love that one a lot. And that roaring 'tron seals the deal. All the instrumentals are very good, and "Far Cry" is a classic. Other than that, I rate this one about on a par with PRESTO. Fair to middlin'.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Power Windows' is a very good album- 'The Big Money' and 'Marathon' are two of their best tracks. 'Hold Your Fire' not so much, but it has a few gems (and a few turkeys).
    I had bailed out on them with Grace Under Pressure so I never had a proper hearing of this album until years later, and I think it's quite good. It has a crackling, kinetic energy that's not present on Hold Your Fire and it's also well-recorded. This album has the most over-the-top use of 80's synths but I feel that the writing, arranging and inspired playing redeems it. And it's a lot more proggy than GUP or HYF, probably their last proggy album until Clockwork Angels came along.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

'Hold Your Fire' is kind of bloodless by comparison, yes. I can understand why they shifted away from the synths after that album.

I had bailed out on them with Grace Under Pressure so I never had a proper hearing of this album until years later, and I think it's quite good. It has a crackling, kinetic energy that's not present on Hold Your Fire and it's also well-recorded. This album has the most over-the-top use of 80's synths but I feel that the writing, arranging and inspired playing redeems it. And it's a lot more proggy than GUP or HYF, probably their last proggy album until Clockwork Angels came along.
    I don't see (hear, rather) how Power Windows is "a lot more proggy" than Grace Under Pressure. They're both damned fine albums that still kick my ass today.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I don't see (hear, rather) how Power Windows is "a lot more proggy" than Grace Under Pressure. They're both damned fine albums that still kick my ass today.
    and they will kick are asses far into the future

When I have a long drive to make, sometimes I'll listen to a band's catalog in chronological order. When I did this for Rush, I noticed even the weaker albums still had a lot of energy to them. Then came Snake & Arrows, and it sounded tired and listless compared to the rest of the catalog. It has its moments (Far Cry, MMB, Malignant Narcissism), but always seemed far too dull and plodding to my ears, especially in that context.

Alright, so I'm the only person here who loves the damn thing. I do think it takes a little time to get past the "saminess" of the production. But the first 8 songs plus Malignant narcissism became real winners for me once they got etched into my brain. Give it a few more spins at some point. you might be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I haven't exited by any means, but I personally think the drop off in overall album quality started after Grace with Power Windows.
    Last edited by Score2112; 03-19-2015 at 06:11 PM.

"Faithless" is actually not a bad track. I played it once for my mom who's an atheist and she liked it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    "The Main Monkey Business" is the main draw for me. Love that one a lot. And that roaring 'tron seals the deal. All the instrumentals are very good, and "Far Cry" is a classic. Other than that, I rate this one about on a par with PRESTO. Fair to middlin'.
    Actually, according to planet mellotron there is no mellotron on that particular track. http://www.planetmellotron.com/revr9.htm#rush

Then again the guy who runs it also claims there's none on Eloy's "mutiny"(which I personally think is BS not to mention the fact that the wiki page and progarchives say there is) so who knows. As for the Rush track I'm not sure I hear one either. Mellotron is credited on the album so I guess it's possible.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 03-19-2015 at 06:28 PM.