Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arena - the unquiet sky

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Its not that Seventh Degree was all that bad.. it just didn't sound like Arena... too much hard rock and very little prog.

now "The Demon Strikes" sounds like Arena!! :-)
    +1
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Would anyone care to post the track times? I'd like to know if there are a few long ones: that's where Arena can really shine and go Prog in the instrumental sections IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's an instrumental track.

My preorder arrived yesterday btw.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Would anyone care to post the track times? I'd like to know if there are a few long ones: that's where Arena can really shine and go Prog in the instrumental sections IMO.
    I've never heard so much melody on an Arena album.Certainly makes it all.the better! One instrumental track,which is just over 2.00 minutes.All the others are between 4.00-5.40,except final track which clocks in at 7.30.After three listens it's still sounding good!

ok i have spun the whole thing trough a couple more times now,and its a grower,i hear hints from all arena albums on this one and even some nolan musicals here and there,
    and as said before,mitchell really shines on this one.i think its a really good album so far,and if its continue to grow it might end up with the best arena albums,time will tell.

Noticed today this CD has all the CD-Text tags except the band name for the first track. That would tick me off.

in case someone have missed my high recommendation for this album in other treads,i have played it trough more then 5 times now and it is a fantastic album imho

Now that I've had a chance to listen to this several times, I must say it is pretty good. But, I want to know what happened to the progressive Arena? The band that used to make great epics like Solomon, Sirens, Moviedrome, and Opera Fanatica? I'd rate this album better than Contagion and Seventh Degree, but still nowhere near their best.

Really liking the Lonely Robot album by Mitchell. The same Mitchell is in Arena, right? If so, how does the new Arena compare to Lonely Robot?

What I like about LR is the cinematic approach Mitchell took that was very similar to Dave Kerzner's solo release except maybe a little more guitar driven.

Thanks, Rick

People, please stop recording YouTube videos of concerts. They all look and sound like shit. Put down your goddamn phone and just watch the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Now that I've had a chance to listen to this several times, I must say it is pretty good. But, I want to know what happened to the progressive Arena? The band that used to make great epics like Solomon, Sirens, Moviedrome, and Opera Fanatica? I'd rate this album better than Contagion and Seventh Degree, but still nowhere near their best.
    But Contagion is Arena's best album!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Wrong - Contagion Max is their best.

For me, The Visitor will always be the greatest album of Arena.

I'm quite enjoying the new one: at least the guitar and keyboard solos are back after having been virtually absent from 7th Degree of Separation.
    Of course the songs are mostly short but that was already the case with the band's previous concept albums. I think they're pretty good at doing prog without necessarily going for long songs.
    What I miss though are recurring musical themes: the band used that trick to great effect on The Visitor and Contagion and I think it really enhances the concept album experience. On The Unquiet Sky, it seems that it's only the lyrics that hold the story together, but the songs don't have anything in common musically and play like 12 independant tracks. The album would really have benefitted from a few recurring themes because it has many strong melodies that could have been re-used. Or maybe I need to listen to the album a few more times to spot the recurring themes...

Good album but Moviedrome, Songs from the Lion's Cage and Contagion are far stronger!!!

Good album but Moviedrome, Songs from the Lion's Cage and Contagion are far stronger!!!
    You mean Immortal? right? Moviedrome was the epic track from Immortal?

The Cry EP is their best album.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You're probably alone there ;-)

Seriously, why don't we get this thread back on track instead of having everyone post their favorite Arena album?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It certainly made me cry when I first heard it lol!

This may be the strongest album of the year so far. Don't think I've heard anything that's better or more melodic than this. It may not be a great album as such, but it's very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    This may be the strongest album of the year so far. Don't think I've heard anything that's better or more melodic than this. It may not be a great album as such, but it's very solid.
    Agree, it is the strongest Arena album in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    i think it is a great album in every way,but i dont know if it is the best release so far this year,there are sevral strong contenders to that title for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer56 View Post
    Agree, it is the strongest Arena album in 2015
    I bet they're more happy with this than anyone around here The next release may be out sooner than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    i think it is a great album in every way,but i dont know if it is the best release so far this year,there are sevral strong contenders to that title for me.
    It's mostly to do with taste. Obviously I haven't heard everything, even some of the so called big releases, but out of those that I have this one has the most songs which stick out. It's not the most consistent album, but it's catchy, melodic and energetic. The last song could've been better but it's the way it is. A couple of the songs are a bit meh, but overall it's good.