Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What are the rare cds?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Can CDs be rare?
    Why not? As I mentioned I have an official Klaus Schulze CD that was limited to 300 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I've just never had an emotional connection with vinyl like I've had with CDs.
    Every time I play a CD I first zap it with the anti-static gun and clean it with the DiscWasher.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Edgar Froese - Macula transfer
    Edwardo Bort - same
    That's cool, I have both of those

Hey are CD's by the German band ISKANDER rare? I have three of theirs and I think they have been out of print for years

Tin machine 2

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    I have all of the early CDs that were originally released on the Fax Records (a.k.a. -- FAX +49-69/450464) in the early '90s. Most of those were only released in an edition of 500 or 1000 copies and often sold out quickly. By the mid '90s, pressings were released in 1000 or 2000 quantities.

In any case, I was hooked very early on to the Fax label output and was fortunate enough to grab each of these proggy ambient and/or experiment electronic masterpieces that were showing up at 3 of my local record stores back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAX_%2B49-69/450464

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Hey are CD's by the German band ISKANDER rare? I have three of theirs and I think they have been out of print for years
    Well mildly rare. Expect a price of 30-40$ for Boheme, 40-50$ for Another Life and a 30-40$ for Mental Touch. It's strange but the original LPs are cheaper.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Does anyone own any of the original releases of the Camel CDs from the early-mid 80s? Rock Record lists them (including an MCA release of the debut) but I’ve never seen one.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I would never call myself a "collector" of CD's based on rarity but... I do have the following previously mentioned items:

LE - Spirit of Christmas
    LE - Atlantis Philharmonic
    LE - Load: PTL
    Progday 7-CD comp
    EJ - Zinc (and still have my original vinyl too)
    Original Ozric Tentacles Cereal box set

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Does anyone own any of the original releases of the Camel CDs from the early-mid 80s? Rock Record lists them (including an MCA release of the debut) but I’ve never seen one.
    I have a few Deram releases copyrighted between 1982 - 1984, including Nude, Stationary Traveller and my favourites Moonmadness and The Snow Goose (the "tin" version, as I believe Jeff Carney has called it). The rest of my UK-era Camels are 1989 - 1994 issues. Doubt if they have much value, except for me. I have some emotional attachment to CD as a format, very little to vinyl, the design possibilities allowed by the sleeve notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Well mildly rare. Expect a price of 30-40$ for Boheme, 40-50$ for Another Life and a 30-40$ for Mental Touch. It's strange but the original LPs are cheaper.
    Mental Touch is very rare. You can't find it hardly anywhere and it's been oop for years. I had it way back when and wish I never got rid of it. The others are not quite as rare apparently.

The same goes for other German bands from roughly the same time period such as Anabis, Amenophis, The Formula and Bel Air.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Mental Touch is very rare. You can't find it hardly anywhere
    There is always the alternative of getting a copy of the original vinyl. You can find it very easily at a 10-30 euros range (for a M to M- condition)...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The same goes for other German bands from roughly the same time period such as Anabis, Amenophis, The Formula and Bel Air.
    I think that these CDs are middle rarities that still stay relatively cheap, because quasi noone seemed to want such neoprog back at the times and nowadays these bands are almost forgotten. A pitty because some of their albums were good, if you got past the 80s production.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Entire catalog of Nocturnal Emissions. They are in constant demand within circuits of psychoactive music studies and areas of academic studies on sonic production modes etc. As well as being held in high regard by people into truly "out" sound. I had one of those myself, but stupidly traded it. I got a signed copy of 71 Minutes of by Faust in return, though. Not a bad deal as such, I guess.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Entire catalog of Nocturnal Emissions. They are in constant demand
    Never noticed it as I got most of their titles upon release. Did a quick search though and I saw that their most interesting period that kicked off with 1988's "Spiritflesh" is relatively cheap and still available as 2nd hand offers. However, having lost trace after 1997's "Sunspot Activity" it puzzled me that their post 2000 albums feature prices that oftenly go over 30 euros. They're mostly CDRs though, and I presume ultra limited.

On the other hand, prices for 90s CD reissues of early Soviet France albums have been constantly skyrocketing since 2005.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Some of the defunct 80s/90s labels seem to be highly collectible, yet others not so much. Kaliphonia, for example, seems to be much in-demand. And for a label with such a small artist roster, I can understand why; I cherish my copies of those early Deus Ex Machina discs every day, and am so glad at my foresight in getting in on the ground floor with that brilliant band. I lucked out recently with the second H2O disc (not as good as the first, alas), which I found for $5 at a local record store.

Strangely, the Progressive Rock Worldwide label isn’t so collectible. I guess they have a reputation for releasing cheesy neo-prog (Tisaris, Cinema Show) and ripoffs like that re-recorded Terreno Baldio album with English vocals (yet I still like that version). They have still released much of worth, IMO, the Via Lumini, Dogma, Kaizen, Trem do Futuro and Grandbell albums for example, and that’s not even mentioning the reissues they did. Though I bet the Agnus album has to be worth something, as I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been reissued since.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    I have all of the early CDs that were originally released on the Fax Records (a.k.a. -- FAX +49-69/450464) in the early '90s. Most of those were only released in an edition of 500 or 1000 copies and often sold out quickly. By the mid '90s, pressings were released in 1000 or 2000 quantities.

In any case, I was hooked very early on to the Fax label output and was fortunate enough to grab each of these proggy ambient and/or experiment electronic masterpieces that were showing up at 3 of my local record stores back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAX_%2B49-69/450464

I thought the Klaus Schulze/Pete Namlook CDs would be valuable now, but I see you can buy them cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Some of the defunct 80s/90s labels seem to be highly collectible, yet others not so much. Kaliphonia, for example, seems to be much in-demand. And for a label with such a small artist roster, I can understand why; I cherish my copies of those early Deus Ex Machina discs every day, and am so glad at my foresight in getting in on the ground floor with that brilliant band. I lucked out recently with the second H2O disc (not as good as the first, alas), which I found for $5 at a local record store.

Strangely, the Progressive Rock Worldwide label isn’t so collectible. I guess they have a reputation for releasing cheesy neo-prog (Tisaris, Cinema Show) and ripoffs like that re-recorded Terreno Baldio album with English vocals (yet I still like that version). They have still released much of worth, IMO, the Via Lumini, Dogma, Kaizen, Trem do Futuro and Grandbell albums for example, and that’s not even mentioning the reissues they did. Though I bet the Agnus album has to be worth something, as I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been reissued since.
    Hey, I like Tisaris!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey, I like Tisaris!
    And I like that Foxtrot album. We all have our guilty pleasures.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought the Klaus Schulze/Pete Namlook CDs would be valuable now, but I see you can buy them cheaply.

Those "affordable" Klaus Schulze + Pete Namlook collaboration albums (the Dark Side Of The Moog series) that you can buy these days are not the original releases on the FAX Records label. All of the Dark Side Of The Moog series have been reissued multiple times on FAX Records' sub-label called Ambient World. The Ambient World editions have exactly the same music, but completely different artwork than the original FAX editions (see examples below). The original FAX Records editions almost always had artwork based on that familiar circle motif.

Back in the day, all of the original issues of the Dark Side Of The Moog series would easily sell out in a month or two. Then, usually about a year later, the Ambient World edition would be issued. Some of those Ambient World editions would eventually get yet another reissue -- maybe even 2 or more times. Collectors still presumably pay significant collector prices for the original FAX editions to this day.

According to Discogs, there have been 73 releases on the Ambient World sub-label.

http://www.discogs.com/label/2651-Ambient-World