Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1: Flying Teapot

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    probably a later 70s Virgin pressing.
    Wasn't this the one that was to be found in most record stores up until the vinyl market initially collapsed? I somehow had the impression that the trilogy was repressed sometime in the early 80s and that this was the reason why those three titles (along with Shamal) were usually much easier to find than the others.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Maybe someone already asked, but what about the version I have on the Japanese mini lp boxset cd?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Nothing commercially available

private pressing stuff really!!! (and hopefully, Udi won't hate me for talking of this remaster)

You can probably still find the thread on this site. Unless it was on PE 2.0

Pretty sure he told me is was a quick 5 minute job, nothing serious. But it does sound great! Hey did you know he is a member of this forum?

chalkpie
    Yes, hearing the vinyl was a revelation re: this album for me. I only had the Charly, and the album never really "popped". When Udester showed me how different the vinyl was, I was amazed. Same music, different lens.

One of my favorite albums by Daevid, hands-down. Cheers to him

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Pretty sure he told me is was a quick 5 minute job, nothing serious. But it does sound great! Hey did you know he is a member of this forum?
    I was playing this CDR I made of the raw Virgin vinyl copy I have and it doesn't sound like it needs all that much done. Of course, the declicking would have to be done with great care since there are some square wave Synth tones and garden variety declicking generally destroys that unique sound. Otherwise, there may not be too much needed since the original Virgin LP mix and pressing is so well done. I may do this sooner than later, but of course I will be doing each track individually while making sure the segues are not disturbed. The one thing I have discovered over the decades of remastering I've done is that most albums have a track or two that sounds quite different sonically from the others and no album can or should be remastered as a whole. I would like to hear Udi's work on this album for sure but I'll have my go at it as well... stay tuned
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

don't hold your breath it was a really 5 min slapp job

I didn't have time to listen to the transfer Frankie sent me a while back
    It would be swell to hear the intro to Flying Teapot without all that surface noise

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I didn't have time to listen to the transfer Frankie sent me a while back
    It would be swell to hear the intro to Flying Teapot without all that surface noise
    I'm working on it as I type this... let's see if I can do anything with that track at least... stay tuned...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

ok, so I spent the past coupla hours on this track and here are the preliminary results. I don't really want to take it any further as I generally try not to encroach upon the sonic palette much... but perhaps it could afford a scoche more tweaking... see what you think:

note: the work is done all in lossless format but I converted the finished product to MP3 320

http://mfi.re/listen/levfs02n121ctrm/2_TEASER.mp3

Pretty sure he told me is was a quick 5 minute job, nothing serious. But it does sound great!
    Certainly sounds crisper, but yeah, no throughly redone job... Anyway, his CDr is now inside that Victor mini-Lp gatefold sleeve. It certainly deserves its place in there.

Hey did you know he is a member of this forum?

Naaaahh!!! rlly??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I do hope that following the recent reissue of Camembert Electrique, which to these ears sounded much better than the old Virgin vinyl edition, somebody does manage to give Flying Teapot the re-release it deserves. The difference between the original vinyl and the Charly CD is astonishing - and not in a good way! As for the teaser posted here - more please!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Smith View Post
    As for the teaser posted here - more please!!!!!
    ok... I guess I'm doing this whole album sooner than later.

been working on track 1 this morning... stay tuned

here's track 1
    I suggest that you listen to this on your best stereo system or best listening environment

I can already tell side 2 is not going to be easy, so I'll get that done over the weekend when I have time. Anyone who would like to trade CDRs can send me a private message and work a deal

http://mfi.re/listen/f6ltkva8uz4lk69..._Invisible.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Planet Gong site :
    FLYING TEAPOT on Byg dates from a later period than all the other BYG Gong/Daevid Allen releases, having a release date somewhere around 1976. Unlike the other BYG releases it is NOT the first, original and band sanctioned release of this album, which is the Virgin Records edition (V2002). Besides a different, inferior cover illustration the BYG versions have a different mix of the title track. The label had been out of business for some time but it briefly resurfaced just long enough to produce this release in the wake of Gong's rising popularity and success on the Virgin label. French versions have a black "SACEM" label and gatefold sleeve, no other variation has ever been found. An almost identical looking issue was made for the German market with a different catalogue number and instead of the word "SACEM" it has "GEMA" (a German royalty collection agency) on the label. There is also a Japanese gatefold version of this album. Copies of Flying Teapot on BYG are generally quite hard to find, perhaps due to there only being one pressing of the album in each country before the label once more disappeared.
    So.... Is this the source of the Charlie release, or is it the other way around ??

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I somehow had the impression that the trilogy was repressed sometime in the early 80s and that this was the reason why those three titles (along with Shamal) were usually much easier to find than the others.
    Yes, these are the most common (and cheap) Virgin editions and still recommended. Released between 1981 and 1984.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes, these are the most common (and cheap) Virgin editions and still recommended. Released between 1981 and 1984.
    These are the green and red labels, one on each side. The vinyl tends to be a bit flimsier, but I've found these to be spot-on re-presses that sound just as good as the earlier 70s ones.

teapot_labels.jpg

I was nerding out about the chronology of Virign labels one day and came across this rather detailed site: http://www.ommadawn.dk/discog/labels.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    These are the green and red labels, one on each side. The vinyl tends to be a bit flimsier, but I've found these to be spot-on re-presses that sound just as good as the earlier 70s ones.
    The only thing I regret about them is the exclusion of the foldout cover to Angels Egg. I also believe the original version of You was released with different fonts to bandname and title - or was this merely a question of geographic origins?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The only thing I regret about them is the exclusion of the foldout cover to Angels Egg. I also believe the original version of You was released with different fonts to bandname and title - or was this merely a question of geographic origins?
    Ah, I did not know they bumped gatefolds down to single sleeves - I have a Japanese pressing of Angel's Egg. You're right - even the first pressings of You had different fonts based on location. I've had both a US and a UK first pressing of each and they were in different fonts.

b7fc694c-60ec-44b1-9820-56d1bd1451f2_zpsqcbbpjtv.jpg
    Original Virgin was on the white label. (not promo)
    Angels Egg and Camembert originals had 'Blue Books" of art and info.
    You had lyric sleeve.
    Last edited by tom unbound; 03-26-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    Maybe someone already asked, but what about the version I have on the Japanese mini lp boxset cd?
    Same issues as the other CDs from earlier in the thread.

Btw, this album has been ripped by the most highly regarded vinyl ripper out there. For anyone who loves this album and has no turntable, why screw around? Just get his rip of the original LP and enjoy. If for some reason you can't manage to find it with a Google search, PM me for directions.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Btw, this album has been ripped by the most highly regarded vinyl ripper out there. For anyone who loves this album and has no turntable, why screw around? Just get his rip of the original LP and enjoy. If for some reason you can't manage to find it with a Google search, PM me for directions.
    ^ He ain't lyin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Yup, I've done a few rips of some vinyls directly onto CD-r via my Hi-Fi CD burner... gives pretty good results, though cracks & pops also get transferred
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, I've done a few rips of some vinyls directly onto CD-r via my Hi-Fi CD burner... gives pretty good results, though cracks & pops also get transferred
    that's the problem with plain rips... rips are just to save wear on your LPs and have your LPs to play in the car.
    There's a reason why so many 70s albums are being remastered... the original mastering was lacking in some way on some of the tracks if not the entire album. What I did in 6 hours with side 1 of Flying teapot (I'll get to side 2 this weekend) was a whole lot more than a meticulous de-clicking. As one can hear in the samples I posted in this thread, the finished product came out quite nice... better than any mere rip.

Listen to the samples on a top quality system or pro-grade headphones and hear for yourself (and those are MP3 conversions; the WAV sounds even better)

^ He ain't lyin'.....
    I can +1 that too. :P