Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holdsworth: more or less annoying if he were a drummer?

Holdsworth: more or less annoying if he were a drummer?

As a guitarist, Holdsworth is excruciatingly torturous to listen to, and, as he is not a drummer, my first notion is that he would be more annoying if he played them. But, OTOH, I realized that two of his more annoying problems are his screeching guitar tone and his seasick pitch bends. Since he would not have them as a drummer, maybe he might less annoying (but only slightly). On the third hand, he would probably find a way to make his drum sounds unlistenable, too.

Verdict: equally annoying.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    As a guitarist, Holdsworth is excruciatingly torturous to listen to
    Verdict: you're still obsessed.

Be glad you never got to see Holdsy with Gary Husband on drums back in the day. It was as if he only played cymbals, loud and abrasively. Don't get me wrong, I have seen AH dozens of times and cherish all those shows, but Husband had me looking for the cotton to stuff in my ears. Ouch.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Verdict: you're still obsessed.
    Moi?

Really? Me? Not those who introduce him into a thread where is not relevant? Or those who worship him like the second coming of sliced bread? Or someone who is so familiar with my dislikes he can quickly recall a decades old post, Mr. Pot?

Google is easy to use.

Sorry, but am not exactly sure why you think that a thread like this has any substantive value. You don't like Allan's work? I get that, and that's fine, but what exactly is the point of a thread whose only purpose is to disrespect a musician who, like him or not, is considered one of the more significant game-changers (and influencers) in jazz and rock guitar over the past four decades?

What exactly is your point? That you still don't like him? Ok, I get that. But given his incendiary performance on the recently released Soft Machine - Switzwrland 1974, I just don't see why you would feel the need to start such an necessarily vitriolic thread.

And before you accuse me of being one of those gushing fanboys to whom you refer, I won't disagree that his more recent tone has not been what it once was. But nevertheless, his harmonic conception and unparalleled legato approach remain as influential and important to generations of guitarists as they ever have.

And that ain't fanboy; that's fact.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I like when guitarists play drums.

I also like like being covered in chocolate syrup, slaughtering alpacas, threesomes, and buying postage stamps for homeless people.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    As a guitarist, Holdsworth is excruciatingly torturous to listen to, and, as he is not a drummer, my first notion is that he would be more annoying if he played them. But, OTOH, I realized that two of his more annoying problems are his screeching guitar tone and his seasick pitch bends. Since he would not have them as a drummer, maybe he might less annoying (but only slightly). On the third hand, he would probably find a way to make his drum sounds unlistenable, too.

Verdict: equally annoying.

Very informative! Thank you!
    I will never listen to Holdsworth again.

PS. Good of you to shout it out, or I might have missed this insightful analyse.

Like attention much?

Would April Scherz be more or less annoying if he didn't use a bigger font for his inciteful posts?

You dont get AH. Your loss.
    To make threads about all the things you dont get says more about ...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember that you don't like Genesis.

This thread is probably revenge for that anti-Carl Palmer thread several months ago.

You must keep in mind that he used to use the name Iconoclast back in the r.m.p days.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-13-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I like when guitarists play drums.

I also like like being covered in chocolate syrup, slaughtering alpacas, threesomes, and buying postage stamps for homeless people.
    Zappa could tear it up on drums from time to time.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Be glad you never got to see Holdsy with Gary Husband on drums back in the day. It was as if he only played cymbals, loud and abrasively. Don't get me wrong, I have seen AH dozens of times and cherish all those shows, but Husband had me looking for the cotton to stuff in my ears. Ouch.
    If by "back in the day" you mean last year, when we saw Gary play with Allan here at the Iron Horse in Northampton, it was one of the best Holdsworth shows I've seen, and I've also seen many. Allan was in bright spirits, which in and of itself is atypical, and the band was having a great time.

chalkpie
    This thread is terrible BTW. And pointless.

WTF?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Shame on you guys for not taking this thread seriously.
    I intend to answer the OP in due course, just as soon as I have figured out whether Dream Theater would be less annoying as a motorcycle display team.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This thread is terrible BTW. And pointless.
    But mostly...ANNOYING!

What a pathetic, pointlessly negative post. Slagging off a great musician to draw attention to yourself.

In before the lock.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

On In the Mystery, the drums are credited to "Mac Hine". I guess that would qualify as a Holdsworth drummer credit.

So how annoying was he?
    Comparative to his guitar playing.
    I need to know.
    Seriously. Since this thread started I can think about little else.

It's freaking me the fuck out.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 03-13-2015 at 11:27 AM.

This must be A. Scherze's dog day afternoon.

Everyone's dry wit is lost on a a OP who's all wet.

But it's making me laugh. Again on a day when I don't have much to laugh about. So, thanks for that, dry-witted fellows.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

If AH sat behind a kit for the first time in his life today he'd be a more enjoyable drummer to listen to than Carl Palmer these days.