Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Oblivion Sun album release Jan '13

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    "Everything" was originally on Pedal Giant Animals. Why did the band revisit that particular tune? It's a great track. I do love this pumped up version.
    I'll defer to Stan on this one. I presume he'll say he wanted a pumped-up version.

Dave Hughes

Nice album from old pro's.

And another fan for the mushroom men here!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The second video from The High Places is now released: Track #3 from the record -" Everything". Kindly visit the OS website, www.oblivionsun.com, or search YouTube to view. Thanks!

Dave Hughes

I like Stan's voice more on these recent albums vs. early Happy the Man. Not sure what it is... more mellow?

mellifluous

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    Got my copy in the mail yesterday, psyched to hear it on the big stereo this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I like Stan's voice more on these recent albums vs. early Happy the Man. Not sure what it is... more mellow?
    I just think he's far more confident a singer. In the early days it seems HTM added vocals as an afterthought, and he was the one stuck with being vocalist.

Great album! Got it this week, and its really good. I need to let it really sink in but its great! Love these guys
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Damn! I was hoping Vintage Vinyl had this album, but the didn't. I did pick up the 2nd Ohmphrey disc, didn't even know they did a second album! So the day was not a total loss.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    It's on Progstreaming right now.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Seasoned perhaps? Jeezus it's been 36 years since the HTM debut, a vocal evolution is to be expected I would think. Personally, I never had any problem with Stan's voice on anything. I used to sing along(still do today actually) with him on Befrost,Helix and Wind Up Doll Day quite happily. I am a vocal impersonator anyway,I have been singing like that since I heard The Beatles and it sort of stuck. I get a kick out of matching my favorite singers. Stan's voice is a gas. His tone is wonderful. Apparently I am not the only one who does this either. Check out Ad Infinitum sometime. There's a guy on there who kept reminding me of someone but it took months to figure out it was Stan. To me anyway, he sounds like a dead ringer for Stan and maybe to you too. I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the singer on that cd,it's just me and how I hear it. I'll post his name once I go look it up. Btw,I Love Ad Infinitum,what a great cd and a shame they never did another.

One thing to consider is the recording technology of 30+ years ago to present. I know one the reasons this cd took so long is the band's dedication to every detail when it came to quality of the recording. The thing I really enjoy about this cd is that you can really hear each instrument and voice so distinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Seasoned perhaps? Jeezus it's been 36 years since the HTM debut, a vocal evolution is to be expected I would think. Personally, I never had any problem with Stan's voice on anything.
    I guess everything I've ever heard / read re: HTM... vocals were an afterthought... well maybe not entirely accurate. Certainly there are plenty of vocals on Beginnings (sung primarily by Cliff), and Deaths Crown has vocal versions of two songs that ended up on the first "real" album obviously sung by Dan Owens. Can't say that I "disliked" his voice on Wind Up Doll or Befrost etc. they were what they were, however after listening to Oblivion Suns first album recently and this most recent video of Mushrooms... I just think his voice ... maybe it's matured .. even the one vocal track on Muse Awakes has a much softer tone.. I'm just happy these guys are still jamming together and keeping music at the forefront. Didn't mean to stir things up... just an observation..

Banned
    Stan's voice is mixed a bit louder in this mix than the HTM mixes. Stan's voice has a little more gravel than the HTM days, atleast on this recording. I don't know how long he has been doing the weekly acoustic and vocal gigs locally here in MD, VA, and DC. Perhaps that has really kept his voice up over these last 15 years. He took a break from the acoustic gigs, but is starting them back up with his mate LeeAnne in March. They also scored a 34 gig job with Sugarloaf Craft shows. I just loved the last acoustic Stan show at Lure's in Annapolis, MD (great craft brew place). Stan, his acoustic guitar (but plugged in to the PA) and the PA (one of those Bose 8 ft. vertical tubes which have an awesome sound pattern) just killed songs by the Finn bros, James Taylor, Peter Gabriel, Yes and as a special treat, part of Supper's Ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    He took a break from the acoustic gigs, but is starting them back up with his mate LeeAnne in March. They also scored a 34 gig job with Sugarloaf Craft shows.
    That'd be a fun venue to catch Stan at - and one I could actually get my wife to attend (a musical performance disguised as a craft show - devious!). Unfortunately, I don't see Stan and LeeAnne listed for the Somerset, NJ shows - at least not yet. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open and hope the include NJ in their travels.
    WK

Banned
    March 15, 16, 17, 2013
    Greater Philadelphia Expo Center
    OAKS, PENNSYLVANIA
    April 12, 13, 14, 2013
    Montgomery Co. Fairgrounds
    GAITHERSBURG, MARYLAND
    April 26, 27, 28, 2013
    Maryland State Fairgrounds
    TIMONIUM, MARYLAND
    Stan & LeeAnne
    Musical Performances
    Performing classic songs from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today – the music of The Beatles, Sarah McLachlan, Peter Gabriel, The Cranberries, and more of your favorite artists!

Jefferson James
    Listening to this right now on Progstreaming (thanks, Markwin) -- digging it!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Listening to this right now on Progstreaming (thanks, Markwin) -- digging it!
    Me too... very cool.. never knew this site existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    "Everything" was originally on Pedal Giant Animals. Why did the band revisit that particular tune? It's a great track. I do love this pumped up version.
    I had recommend the song for both the live show and the upcoming album while I was still a member of the band. It worked really well live and I'm very happy that it made the cut for the CD. I thought it would work very much like "Still..." or "Lucky Man" did for ELP. Without "Lucky Man" ELP may have lost out a bit on the lower end of the dynamics. We, OS, were doing some pretty heavy stuff live and the change really helped the flow of the set. I think it is going to be known as one of Stan's finest songs for years to come.
    support live music

Google is your fiend.

Regarding the quality of Stanley's voice, He made major improvements from the first HtM to Crafty Hands. Stan began to carry bands with his singing in the 80s like Vision, One By One, Band Of a Thousand Names and Avalon (which was my pleasure to play in).

Beside the obvious step up in technique and tone Stan has made over the years, he also chooses the songs really wisely so that the emotive aspects of his voice can shine. Even after the cancer scare back in 2008, he still improves. He's always been dedicated to whatever instrument he chooses to convey emotion and more often than not, he keeps growing no matter which one he focuses on.
    support live music

Google is your fiend.

Thanks for the reply Bill.
    I made a mix of all the HTM/OS/PGA tracks with vocals (I like to sing along). It conveys a completely different experience, for me, than hearing all the instrumentals... That's a different mix. Great stuff.

I love the cover of the new album. It complements the music very well. It really is a fine cd.

Started listening to this on progstreaming last week but got distracted and am just getting back to it.... what a great album! Looking forward to purchasing this on for sure!