Thread: Current fav UK series

Current fav UK series

Hope this has not been done recently.

Just finished the delightful second season of BLANDINGS.

ORPHAN BLACK (Not sure - isn't this a part Canadian production?) Too many turns - all predictable. This series doesn't compel me in the least. Feck season 2. Cloning a cloning. Ho-hum . Subject done to death, thankyou. This smells like it was done by same people responsible for that (seemingly never-ending vampire-ghost-werewolf-share-a-house series.

SECRET OF CRICKLEY HALL quite good short suspense series

BROAD...summat good mystery/detective series with David Tennant

Anyone seen this reputedly proggy PERNE ...summat rock comedy series?

No one interested?

Okay then, howabout French series?

LES REVENANTS (2012)
    A small , picturesque present-day community in the French Alps.
    A massive dam.
    The waterlevel is going down unexplicably. Robot cameras are sent to look for cracks. There are none.
    Local animals are walking into the dam-lake, drowning themselves.

AND THE DEAD - BOTH RECENT AND MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO - ARE BEGINNING TO RETURN TO THEIR HOMES AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED.
    These Dead know nothing of the afterlife. They come back totally unaware that they have died. (One was the community serial-killer. He starts again.)

They attempt to reintegrate with the community.

The interesting thing, of course, is how the community reacts to these ressurected.
    How would you react, given clear evidence of Something after death?
    I for one, would become immediately foxed out of my mind...and then, likely religious and AFRAID of God.

Going by this series, apparently the French are none-too religious: the community has a church, but after all this ressurection going on, the film does not - so far into series 1, at least - stress them becoming anymore church-going.
    Indeed not overly-emotional for the most part - I mean, I'd be pissing my pants, right?

If anything ,the living not the living-dead, in this series seem rather abnormal.

Story unfolds with pathos and restraint.

If you are expecting Walking Dead and violence...look elsewhere.
    Last edited by birdman; 03-11-2015 at 11:23 AM.

All the UK stuff I watch is on hiatus except Top Gear (which, apparently is as well now ) Interested to see what might be worth checking out.

Here are some recommended older ones. (Not counting what the Brits really excell at: historical dramas):

Mr Pye
    Enemy At The Door (both shot on the Channel Islands)

Cold Lazarus
    Pennies From Heaven
    Demob
    Darling Buds of May
    the Green Man
    Goremenghast
    Hornblower
    House of Cards
    I Claudius (the best ever)
    Jonathan Creek
    The Indian Doctor
    Jamaica Inn
    Love on a Branch Line
    Life on Mars
    Murder Most Horrid
    The Mighty Boosh
    Porterhouse Blue
    New Statesman
    Pie in the Sky
    Quatermass Experiment
    Red Riding Trilogy
    A respectable Trade
    Sandbaggers
    Saxondale
    The Stone Tape
    Shooting the Past
    Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin
    The Young Ones

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Just finished the delightful second season of BLANDINGS.
    Yes, very droll
    BROAD...summat good mystery/detective series with David Tennant
    Loved the first series. David Tennant and Olivia Colman are always a joy to watch. Haven't seen the second but the reviews have not been very favourable, to say the least.
    Anyone seen this reputedly proggy PERNE ...summat rock comedy series?
    Very funny mockumentary with Simon Day as ageing rock star Brian Perne, former lead singer of prog rockers Thotch (inspired on a certain Mr Gabriel, who has a short cameo appearance at the end of the series).

I also enjoy Death in Paradise. It's a bit of an old school detective series; no gritty realism or convoluted series-long plot lines, but a clever copper who solves every case Sherlock Holmes style at the end of the episode. All set on a sunny Caribbean island. At the end of series four there's only one original cast member left, though, so I thought that would have been a good time to wrap things up, but they've announced a fifth series. Looks like this may be one of those series that go on just a bit too long.

The Perne stuff is hit-and-miss... certainly some funny moments but I don't think he has as good of a handle on what he's parodying as Spinal Tap did.