Thread: Kurt Atterberg Symphonies

Kurt Atterberg Symphonies

Recently picked up a copy of his complete symphonies conducted by Ari Rasilainen. Got to admit I had never heard of either Atterberg nor Rasilainen before this. Atterberg was a Swedish composer who lived from 1887 to 1974. He wrote nine symphonies. Strang how many composers got to nine and never finished or even started a tenth. These works are brilliantly composed. To me I find Dvorak, Sibelius among others in his music. There's nothing revolutionary in his music, but I love finding new composers and Atterberg deserves far more attention than he ever got.

Count me as another fan of Atterberg. But let's face it, Sweden has a history of great music. The symphonies recordings I own were conducted by Neeme Jarvi, who also gave a fine performance.

Big fan of Atterburg - you may also want to check out Peterson-Berger (symphonies as well as solo piano works). --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I love finding new composers
    Yup. Hence, a sincere THANKS! for the heads-up.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I can also recommend Ture Rangstrom and Danish composer Rued Langgaard. Both great examples of the late/post Romantic Nordic school.
    Last edited by The Wall; 03-10-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Some other good stuff on the CPO label you might enjoy are the Ernst Toch symphonies, and the symphonies and concertos of Finnish composer Aulis Sallinen. Also the symphonies of Hungarian composer Laszlo Lajtha on the Marco Polo label.

Two thumbs up for Langgaard - one of my all-time favorites. --Peter

2 of my favorite composers of a similar style are Dutch composer Cornelis Dopper, and New Zealand composer Douglas Lilburn. Both well worth checking out. And another thumbs up for Langgaard.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll have to check these out.