Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I'm guessing you read this on the Internet. The problem with the Internet is that although the letters and characters look, for all intents and purposes like real letters, examine them closely and they reveal themselves to be merely pixels clustered together to 'look like' letters.
    On top of this, it's likely the 'author' of the study ran the article through a 'spell check', thus rendering it sterile and soulless.
    Back in the 70s we had to learn to spell words for ourselves and it saddens me to say that this gave them a greater meaning and resonance.
    Read these articles online if you must, I hope you enjoy them. Me? I think I'll stick to actual printed books.
    I personally find that records are a poor representation of the source material. The only approach I've found that seems to work is to learn all the parts and play them myself. However the only instrument I can play with acceptable proficiency is the spoons, so significant rearrangement is usually necessary. I am quite proud of my work on Close to the Edge.

I'd love to hear this.
    Obviously, as we have as ascertained, no current medium can fully captures the true depth of a performance.

I imagine a library would be the perfect 'space' to host this visionary work.

Do let me know if you plan on airing your repertoire any time soon.

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Some of the goodies on this year's list so far...

Blue Oyster Cult - Bad Channels OST (LP)
    OMG! I actually saw that movie about 20 years ago. If I remember correctly, Martha Quinn was in it!

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I personally find that records are a poor representation of the source material. The only approach I've found that seems to work is to learn all the parts and play them myself. However the only instrument I can play with acceptable proficiency is the spoons, so significant rearrangement is usually necessary. I am quite proud of my work on Close to the Edge.
    Sort of like the cutlery version of DOKAKA!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Oh wow, I had forgotten about Dokaka... but yes, I follow his vision and take it to new places (namely the kitchen).

Kavus, I am currently busy with rehearsals for NEARfest 2024 (The Phoenix is Exhumed And Dusted Off a Bit), but I will see what my schedule allows.

Yet you have quite possibly brought the world the most accurate rendition to the opening of At-King.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The whole degradation and fragility thing used to bother me, but now it's like - if I treat the vinyl with a decent amount of care, what realistically will happen to it in the next 20-40 years I've got left? Nothing bad enough to turn me off the format.
    If you have an average sized collection and not an unlimited amount of time to listen, I don't see how all but the most exceptional cases could really wear their records out. Not something I'm worried about at all.

To my fellow competitors on Record Store Day - best of luck tomorrow and and fight honorably!

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    FUCK Record Store day!

I really hope that someone will put an end to this pathetic joke.
    right on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    If you don't have anything nice to say....
    dissenting voices must be heard, especially in a pure-hype event like RSD

RSD has tons of people crawling out of the woodwork and never enter a shop during the rest of the year. I hit the only two worthy RS in Brussels (not counting th classical/jazz places) around twice a month, but I'll avoid today like the pest, because of all those idiot hipsters

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I used to have to walk 10 miles to school as well. And feet hadn't been invented yet; I did it on stumps!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Procul Harum Homburg Cherry Red 7" 700

This drives me fucking nuts. After all this time, they still can't spell the band's name right.
    Let alone putting Jethro Tull at the letter T (truly shameful)

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    To my fellow competitors on Record Store Day - best of luck tomorrow and and fight honorably!
    Some seven or 8 shops participating in Brussels, three of them are used bookshops with a used record section really, and only one specializes in new discs. I don't like confusion between official record shops and those handling used records and mixing both

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    So, how many record stores will you be hitting up? What items are you most looking forward to?
    Well outside the Tull Carnegie thing and the Heldon live, I didn't find the KC (I guess they are KCCC anyway) on the latest list , sooooo there is nothing in it for me

Buying 33 RPM vinyl is pure nonsense IMHO, but buying singles is simply idiotic (though I did buy TD's Ultima Thulé a week afterwards the RSD a few years back, but the store owner was a buddy)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    I'm guessing you read this on the Internet. The problem with the Internet is that although the letters and characters look, for all intents and purposes like real letters, examine them closely and they reveal themselves to be merely pixels clustered together to 'look like' letters.
    On top of this, it's likely the 'author' of the study ran the article through a 'spell check', thus rendering it sterile and soulless.
    Back in the 70s we had to learn to spell words for ourselves and it saddens me to say that this gave them a greater meaning and resonance.
    Read these articles online if you must, I hope you enjoy them. Me? I think I'll stick to actual printed books.
    The thing that scares me is that it was not until I read to the end of this post that I realised it was tongue in cheek.

Suspended
    Try your hand out on "Tubular Spoons".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I picked up some sealed vinyl records from the 1950's and played a few of them and they sound amazing.
    I have had CD's from the 1990's that have already deteriorated to the point of useless. I have had hard drives go bad after 3 years. Magnetic tape is obviously very fragile, but I do have some tape from the 60's that still sounds good. I have no doubt that a well kept vinyl record can last a very long time.

Digital supporters side with that view because that is either all they know and read... or they threw all their vinyl away years ago and can't stand to admit they make a horrible mistake. Which one are you?

Without getting into the digital vs analog argument, my vinyl collection is much safer than my CD collection.
    I don't have to worry about the files being corrupted or being deleted either. Probably easier to steal an iphone than stacks of records that weigh more than a small elephant.
    I haven't had any CDs go bad.

Suspended
    My local independent record store has celebrated Record Store Day by closing down.

Well, kind of. It was part of a larger store that also has books and rental DVDs. The bookshop now has a table with several cardboard boxes of CDs and LPs left over from the shop, but nothing that I want. (I did pick up a Tame Impala album from one such box a while ago.) Basically the music selling part of the business was killed off by high rentals. The landlords saw fit to increase the rent by a massive amount last year, forcing them to downsize. There wasn't enough room for books, DVDs and music - not if they wanted to have a large enough section to actually make it worth browsing in. Something had to go, and clearly the music was the least profitable.

There are still a couple of "real" record stores in the city proper, as well as a couple in Fremantle; who knows how long they will last.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Skullhead's got religion and vinyl is his lord and savior. He's on a jihad to rid the world of this great Satan called DIGITAL. He only eats rice crispy cereal because he can't get enough snap, crackle and pop.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've had a few that have behaved erratically. I'm not sure if that's because of faulty CD players or CD's that got scratched or what. And then sometimes, if I come back to a disc a few months or years later, it'll play just fine. (shrug)

I picked up (At Head in Leamington Spa):

Ennio Morricone - Spasmo. Brilliant soundtrack to an Italian horror/giallo film. I like this one a lot.
    Field Music - Music for Drifters. A soundtrack to a 1929 silent movie about fishermen in the north east of England. Very good stuff.
    Jethro Tull - Live at Carnegie. Wow.
    Hawkwind - Live 1979.

I didn't see any Crimson stuff or CDs...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've had one CD "bronze" on me, and that's it.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Suspended
    I have two Jackson Browne albums on CD.

One, "The Pretender", was bought new, and has been handled carefully as have all my CDs, Nevertheless, track 4, "Here Come those Tears Again", has somehow developed imperfections that make the track almost unplayable - fortunately the problem is confined to just that one track.

The other, "Lives in the Balance", was bought second hand for $2 at an outdoor stall at a fair. The case is slightly scratched but the disc plays perfectly and has always done.

I'm not sure if there's a moral here, just thought it was worth relating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Procul Harum Homburg Cherry Red 7" 700

This drives me fucking nuts. After all this time, they still can't spell the band's name right.
    Well, Procol or Procul, no matter; no copies at my local record shoppe. Couldn't get the Tull or the Eno either. Of course the stuff is all over eBay now. Record Store Day sucks.

my haul:

-The Decemberists - Picaresque (10 yr Anniversary colored, which includes a download of a live show from 2005 in Portland, Oregon)
    -Tomorrow - Tomorrow (Gatefold)
    -Typhoon - Prosthetic Love 7"

-XTC - Skylarking
    -XTC - The Big Express (Promo)
    -Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (German issue)

Sadly, I did not get the sElf single (it was not going to be at any store in Minnesota unfortnately); a friend of mine even went to the Exclusive store in Oshkosh, WI and looked for it, but he arrived too late as the 1 copy they got in was snatched up before he arrived at 2PM. so I may have to check Ebay or some other sites to see if it shows up.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 04-19-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    right on!!!
    dissenting voices must be heard, especially in a pure-hype event like RSD
    I understand about the hype but if I was one of the lucky few owners that still had an operating Record Store, I would celebrate the attention that the day brings. I get your comment about the once a year visiting hipsters and all that, but what is really to disapprove about this day? It's all about keeping the word about record stores going and giving people a reason to visit one. For every 10 people that only visit once a year, perhaps this event introduces a few younger people to how much fun it can be to actually walk into a store and shop for music. Personally, I just don't see any harm in the event.

My local record store posted a list of stuff still remaining on their Facebook feed, so I nipped over and go the Eno double LP. Brilliant stuff!

I wish I'd seen the Holger Czukay.

I would fund the recording of Close to the Edge on Spoons and have it released for record store day 2016. On silver vinyl with some sort of splatter effect, probably liver coloured to represent the lyrics.

If I had any money, that is.

Once feet were invented it wasn't really walking. People could just open their doors and walk anywhere within a 20 mile radius.

Call it walking if you want but I do pity you. Anyone who has seen footage of the original 'stump walkers' will attest that the twenty meters or so they managed on those bloody stumps was art.
    Stump walking required practice, commitment and vision.

Nowadays anyone can just get from A to B with no imagination or talent.

And don't fucking start me on bicycles.
    Stumps? I long for stumps.

I have to slither on my arse cheeks, and it's bloody painful. I have to lubricate my movement with secretions!

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I understand about the hype but if I was one of the lucky few owners that still had an operating Record Store, I would celebrate the attention that the day brings. I get your comment about the once a year visiting hipsters and all that, but what is really to disapprove about this day? It's all about keeping the word about record stores going and giving people a reason to visit one. For every 10 people that only visit once a year, perhaps this event introduces a few younger people to how much fun it can be to actually walk into a store and shop for music. Personally, I just don't see any harm in the event.

ooooh, I actually think RSD would be a fine initiative, if it was done properly and it didn't snob the CD medium, which still amounts to over 60% of the total sales (whereas vinyls - and singles - are only up to 3%). And doing it twice a year, while we're at it.

And as I said , at least in Brussels, most of the places that participated on saturday are not even real record stores, patroned by hipsters ... So basically, it misses the target
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.