Thread: The Ides of March ?

The Ides of March ?

Now here is a band I have NEVER heard of but saw this on Melodic Rocks news feed! They certainly have an interesting history. Any fans who could share their thoughts?

THE IDES OF MARCH - LAST BAND STANDING – THE DEFINITIVE 50-YEAR ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

NEW DELUXE LIMITED EDITION 5-DISC SET RELEASE DATE APRIL 18, 2015

New York, NY (March 3, 2015)—2015 marks the 50th anniversary of the band that drove the 1970 Billboard smash “Vehicle” to the top of the charts: The Ides Of March. To commemorate this momentous occasion, the band will release a deluxe limited edition 5-Disc set Last Band Standing – The Definitive 50-Year Anniversary Collection on April 18 (via Ides Of March Records).

Last Band Standing is a perfectly executed celebration of The Ides Of March history and a showcase of a band still in their prime at 50 years deep. Original members Jim Peterik (also of Survivor fame and songwriter behind “Eye Of The Tiger,” and well as many other chart-toppers), Bob Bergland, Larry Millas, and Mike Borch started as group of teenagers whose love of Rock N Roll and R&B led them to showcases and bandstands around their native Chicago, eventually hitting it big nationally with “Vehicle.”

The first four audio discs contain material from across their storied career. Included are Warner Brothers albums Vehicle (1970) and Common Bond (1971), first-time-ever releases of the best of their RCA releases World Woven (1972) and Midnight Oil (1973), and choice cuts from the 90s, such as Spirit Of Chicago – an ode to the Windy City featuring some of the area’s most prominent artists – Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick), Dennis DeYoung (Styx), Gary Loizzo (American Breed), cult favorite Jim Ellison, and many more.

Rarities like “Like It Or Lump It” and “No Two Ways About It” have been remastered in all their mono glory, along with other highlights culled from the Ides vault, such as 1966’s Billboard charter You Wouldn’t Listen (Parrot). The audio portion is completed with brand new Ides of March tracks, including the brass driven “Who I Am,” the harmonious “Too Far To Turn Around,” and the aptly titled “Last Band Standing,” featuring Steve Cropper – the iconic songsmith of Booker T and the MG’s and organizer of the Blues Brothers.

Disc five is a live DVD of The Ides Of March performing 15 of their most iconic songs in an eleven camera shoot at the House Of Blues, Chicago on May 31, 2014. In addition to this high-energy hometown set, this DVD boasts a slew of extras: archival footage from their TV appearances in the 70's, new interviews, a look behind-the-scenes, a photo collage spanning 50 years plus an exciting new music video for the title track “Last Band Standing.”

Jim Peterik recently released his autobiography Through The Eye Of The Tiger: The Rock ‘N’ Roll Life Of Survivor’s Founding Member (BenBella Books). Showing no signs of slowing down, The Ides Of March, who continue to tour to this day, are truly worthy of the title Last Band Standing.
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-06-2015 at 10:31 AM.

This follow-up to "Vehicle" always cracked me up. "Great God in heaven!" -> "Great Caesar's ghost!"

Rufus, you never heard of them? Sad it took you so long to find them; they were a great band out of Chicago, with horns, and a great vocalist and a spectaculrly great top-40 song in "Vehicle." Always worth a listen.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

A buddy of mine plays saxophone in the current incarnation. I met Peterik for the first time about a year ago at a multi band/artist show. He was wearing a tiger striped suit and sported a tiger striped guitar. Played his biggest hits, Vehicle and (you guessed it) Eye of the Tiger.

I love Vehicle; can't stand EotT.

I got a copy of Ideology on Sundazed which documents the very early years, kind of on the British Invasion sound like most young bands were doing at the time, great disc. Barely hints at what was to come, certainly no EyeoftheTiger.

5032-10811.jpg

Suspended
    I had totally forgotten about the song "Vehicle" and could not have told you who recorded it. From what I recall of the song, it's not surprising that I had forgotten it.

First time I ever heard "Vehicle," I thought the singer was David Clayton Thomas before he joined Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Just listened to the "Superman" cut above. Sounds Jim Dandy Mangrum moonlighting with a horn band.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Sounds Jim Dandy Mangrum
    ...doing his best David Clayton-Thomas impersonation.

Jim Peterik is the guy at the beginning of the Eye Of The Tiger video who looks like he's freezing his ass off. The rest of the band looks real bad ass, in leather jackets, looking like they're on their way to a rumble. Peterik is wearing a grey hoodie and looking like he really wishes he had worn something warmer to the video shoot. He actually kinda looks like the high school nerd who is paying a bunch of thugs (ie the rest of the band) to protect him. Sorry, I know that's completely irrelevant to the topic. I just always thought that was amusing.

My ex stepmother swore the song vehicle was by Blood Sweat and Tears. She also didn't believe me that "Sentimental lady" was by Fleetwood Mac though. Lol.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    My ex stepmother swore the song vehicle was by Blood Sweat and Tears.
    A lot of people probably did. Or else, they thought it was by Chicago.

I was shocked to find out Dirty Work was a Steely Dan song, I guess because Fagen doesn't sing lead on it. I'm not sure who I always thought it was, maybe I thought it was The Eagles or somebody like that (though hearing it now, the vocals don't sound like The Eagles either).

Another one was Day By Day by Badfinger. I thought that was Eric Clapton when I first heard it!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Only album I have by Ides of March is "Extended Versions." Recorded 2002. They do Vehicle (which I remember from decades ago) as well as other Peterik compositions like "Hold On Loosely" (38 Special) and "Eye Of The Tiger" (Survivor). As with the rest of the Sony "Extended Versions" series, there are no liner notes. But it's inexpensive and a good listen. Thanks for the heads up about the box set and autobiography.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Always dug Vehicle, but the rest of that first album hasn't aged well .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Always dug Vehicle, but the rest of that first album hasn't aged well .
    True.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS