Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brit Floyd: Your Thoughts?

WeatherWiseCDC

Brit Floyd: Your Thoughts?

I was flipping through channels recently and came across a PBS infomercial for Brit Floyd. They were showing the Dark Side of the Moon concert tribute at Red Rocks. I had never heard of this tribute act before, but they seem to consider themselves "the world's greatest Pink Floyd tribute show" (at least, that's what their website header states). Has anyone here seen them? What is your take on them, and are they worthy of that title? The concert footage I saw sounds very good, but I am curious as to whether any of our Progressive Ear community members have seen the band live. Some of the band members appear to have been previously been a part of the Aussie Pink Floyd act, and they all have strong resumes. They began their 2015 North American Tour today and are playing across the continent until July.

Is this a can't-miss tribute act?

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 03-06-2015 at 03:58 AM.

donal123
    yeah!! i love brit floyd

For me the best PF tribute band and I think they are generally acknowledged as such is "Shine On" I saw them live a few years ago, and they were miles better than the other PF tribute bands I've seen.

Last edited by PeterG; 03-06-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Brit Floyd looks & sounds like it would be a fantastic experience!

Both Brit Floyd and Australian Pink Floyd do a great job with PF. I read somewhere that Gary Wallis and David Gilmour attended one of APF's shows and said it was fantastic. I'd see both of them, especially since it seems no more PF tours.

Brit Floyd is a breakaway faction of the Aussie Floyd. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Aussie Floyd were becoming so popular that management were double-booking them for gigs in different parts of the world and using two different line-ups at the same time?

Apparently there was a falling out and one of the lead guitarists left, along with a lot of the visuals he designed, and a portion of the road crew.

Apparently they're just as good as the Aussie lot, who are (were?) one of the best tributes around. the only discernible difference I could see was a willingness to shake up a stale setlist and throw in some new material (ie more obscure Floyd songs not played by the Aussie lot).

Oh, and when they were still one band, Gilmour was so impressed that he invited them to play at his 50th birthday, and they've since inherited a lot of the Floyd's gear and the road crew that made it all work.

If tix prices are not too high, I'd say give the Brit version a try.

I have seen Brit Floyd 12 times and will be attending several more shows this tour. To me, they are by far, the best Pink Floyd tribute band that tours The States. Yes they are an offshoot of the Aussies and have really excelled. Do yourself a favor and catch one of their shows if you need a dose of Floyd. There are several very good Pink Floyd tribute bands in Europe but they have never been to The States.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Brit Floyd is a breakaway faction of the Aussie Floyd. I'm sure I read somewhere that the Aussie Floyd were becoming so popular that management were double-booking them for gigs in different parts of the world and using two different line-ups at the same time?

Apparently there was a falling out and one of the lead guitarists left, along with a lot of the visuals he designed, and a portion of the road crew.

Apparently they're just as good as the Aussie lot, who are (were?) one of the best tributes around. the only discernible difference I could see was a willingness to shake up a stale setlist and throw in some new material (ie more obscure Floyd songs not played by the Aussie lot).

Oh, and when they were still one band, Gilmour was so impressed that he invited them to play at his 50th birthday, and they've since inherited a lot of the Floyd's gear and the road crew that made it all work.

If tix prices are not too high, I'd say give the Brit version a try.
    Oh yeah I remember reading that too. Brit was formed by someone(s) who left.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    I was flipping through channels recently and came across a PBS infomercial for Brit Floyd. They were showing the Dark Side of the Moon concert tribute at Red Rocks
    I caught the special on PBS here a few nights ago. They were quite good especially with Red Rocks as the setting. I don't do tribute bands, there are too many other current bands touring their own repertoires but, if treated, I would see them.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

It would be even cooler if a group continued to make music in a very close style to how PF did things back in their prime. I would love to hear new music that had the same general consciousness about it. Same gear, same approach to recording. Getting the voices right shouldn't be too much of a problem.

New Floyd would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    It would be even cooler if a group continued to make music in a very close style to how PF did things back in their prime. I would love to hear new music that had the same general consciousness about it. Same gear, same approach to recording. Getting the voices right shouldn't be too much of a problem.

RPWL

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    RPWL
    Them and Brass Transit from Toronto. They can duplicate early Chicago to a tee.

Some of them are Aussies too. The original guitarist, Damien went on to do the Brit thing when they put that lineup together.

RPWL

This is supposed to sound just like Pink Floyd as if they were still making 70's style albums with original material?
    I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ST2srG4_w

WeatherWiseCDC
    Has an original artist ever written new material for a cover band to record? That would be something new, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Has an original artist ever written new material for a cover band to record? That would be something new, wouldn't it?
    I've seen some amazing cover bands over the years, and then heard their original material and it's awful. Shows the disconnect between playing an instrument and being able to write songs.

Sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post

As others have mentioned RPWL is very Floyd-ish, in fact they started out as a Pink Floyd tribute band if I remember correctly.

I think the band Airbag fits into that same category: Pink Floyd tribute band comes into its own playing original, PF-inspired music.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I think the band Airbag fits into that same category: Pink Floyd tribute band comes into its own playing original, PF-inspired music.
    Have they deviated to the extent that they have become more known as an original band than a tribute band? It's one thing to branch out and be recognized as an original band, but it's another for a tribute band to treat its original songs as new Pink Floyd songs. For example, ELO is ELO; in spite of John Lennon calling them Son of Beatles, they really aren't. The new songs would have to be performed under the guise of them being a tribute band.

The only way I'd see that happening is if the original band could no longer play their instruments or perform well, and they worked with the tribute band to produce new material.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 03-07-2015 at 05:01 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'll bet every time one of these bands orders breakfast while on the road, they do it in the amused-with-ourselves manner Floyd had in the Pompeii film when they order breakfast.

I've seen The Machine a few times, that's it. These bands making live videos is going a little too far, IMO.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'll bet every time one of these bands orders breakfast while on the road, they do it in the amused-with-ourselves manner Floyd had in the Pompeii film when they order breakfast.

I've seen The Machine a few times, that's it. These bands making live videos is going a little too far, IMO.
    Some guys become the performers they were supposed to be imitating.

WeatherWiseCDC
    I think he's very good. I think others will see that as well; hopefully they ignore your post. You can't judge after just two seconds as you are doing in the other thread currently.

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 03-07-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As others have mentioned RPWL is very Floyd-ish, in fact they started out as a Pink Floyd tribute band if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Didn't The Watch do the same thing, only for Genesis?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I wonder if they have added any Endless River tunes to their set this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I wonder if they have added any Endless River tunes to their set this year.
    I haven't seen a set list from this tour yet. The tour just started Thursday in Johnstown, Pa. I had planned on attending that show but Mother Nature had other plans for me. Signs of Life (from Cincinnati, OH) and The Machine (from Nyack, NY) are both doing Louder Than Words. I have seen both bands perform it and they both do a very good job. I will be seeing Brit Floyd next Friday and Saturday in Pittsburgh.