Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HUGE, HUGE artists you own nothing by, have never seen live & never listen to!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I know....what have I started...this is way beyond therapy.......this is SAW level torture......please drill into my ears Mr. Bad Psychopath Man....
    Well, I think this is good. Just think of all the members here whlo have some of these bands but because they do, they won't go near their music collections.
    The older I get, the better I was.

The Eagles
    Elton John (actually used to have one or two but never played them)
    Motley Crue
    Bon Jovi
    Tu Pac
    Garth Brooks
    Any other popular country artist
    Bob Dylan ( don't hate him though)
    Phish
    Bob Segar
    Tom Petty

Probably lots more
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You know what, sign me up for the Stones too.
    My last Stones purchase was Some Girls, the day it came out. I think that's 2 years newer than anything Beatle-related unless you want to count a 2nd-hand copy of a Wilbury CD that I picked up along the way.

[It's really a crazy world when these can apparently sell more than Frank Zappa]

I agree.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

[Arena rock like Journey, Boston, Rush, Styx, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Queen]

Well if you are going to lump Rush in with those you may as well also add Kansas.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Well if you are going to lump Rush in with those you may as well also add Kansas.
    I never bought a single release from any of those artists, even though their heyday was during my mid teens through late twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Actually for me the one thing by Bruce I do like is his major 80s sellout *lol* Tunnel Of Love.
    He was GREAT in his brief cameo in the movie High Fidelity, but I've never heard any music from him that I thought was above miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Really? They were separate bands?

I thought it was like gasoline or Cheerios, where they slap the brand label on at point-of-sale.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Mama Cass (solo)
    Whoa. Cass Elliott had an AMAZING voice (although her choice of material wasn't always stellar...)

It is pretty easy for me. Pretty much anything that falls within the mainstream rock, pop, country, hip-hop, etc genres.

I have zero interest in listening to, or seeing any of them live. If someone gave me free tickets, parking, transportation, etc to some major act within any of these genres, I would not go. That would even go for some of the biggest acts in their prime, like the Stones, Springstien, U2, Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, Presley, Kanye, etc, etc.

Can't say I have never listened to them, since that is next to impossible living in the a major city in the US in the 20th and 21st centuries, but not by choice.

All my listening includes; many of the various sub-genres of prog (RIO, Zeuhl, symph, avant-prog, prog-metal), jazz and fusion, and 20th century, 21st century, contemporary classical. There is noting in the popular world of music that holds any interest for me.
    Last edited by simon moon; 03-03-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Did you say Huge?

I do have a friend who owns a blue vinyl copy of Reconsider Baby, which is pretty cool!
    Yes, I hate Elvis and also The Beach Boys.

Elvis Presley
    Michael Jackson
    Pink Floyd
    AC/DC
    Eagles
    Bruce Springsteen
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Rolling Stones
    Kiss
    The Grateful Dead
    Doors
    Tom Petty
    Bob Dylan
    Beach Boys
    Pretty much anything hip hop

artists i currently don't own anything by or listen to but have liked a few of their songs..

Madonna
    Queen
    Elton John
    The Beatles
    Billy Joel
    Aerosmith
    Frank Sinatra
    Barbra Streisand
    Bee Gees
    Foo Fighters
    Paul McCartney
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 03-04-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

From the top 30 Halmyre posted, here.s the artists where I legitimately own nothing by, would never attend one of their concerts if offered free tickets and listen to nothing by choice:

Mariah Carey
    Celine Dion
    Whitney Houston
    Eminem
    Garth Brooks
    Rihanna
    Julio Iglesias

Is anyone else surprised by how high Dire Straits is on that list? I certainly never thought they were obscure, but I had no idea they were that popular!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Too many to list.

I never really listened to any popular music or the radio or anyone huge outside of the Big 5 of Prog, less Genesis and Jethro Tull. Actually it's easier to list the really big acts I have seen live, listened to and/or owned -

Beatles
    Carpenters
    Three Dog Night

Um, can't think of many more beyond that unless you go back several more decades to the 30s and 40s.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Basically all of them.
    "One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." ---Kurt Vonnegut

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Mariah Carey
    Celine Dion
    Whitney Houston
    Eminem
    Garth Brooks
    Rihanna
    Julio Iglesias
    From everything I've read, this one is the closest for me.

Most bands from the "grunge-era"....these include Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Creed, and Days Of The New, Nickelback, and Godsmack, just to name a few...I own nothing by these bands and the only reason why I am familiar with their songs is if I happen upon a radio station or TV Show playing them and couldnt change the station in time........this is not to say I dislike all grunge and groups from that ilk: Alice In Chains is hit-n-miss with me but I do like some of their songs and I especially LIKE both Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden and I think they are a far cut above the rest of the flannel grungers...I also really like Collective Soul who frequently get lumped in with the "grunge pack" although they really arent a grunge band at all

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Really? They were separate bands?

I thought it was like gasoline or Cheerios, where they slap the brand label on at point-of-sale.
    Ok so how about I'm on a rush to Kansas but I'm a foreigner so I'll journey to Boston instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    From the top 30 Halmyre posted, here.s the artists where I legitimately own nothing by, would never attend one of their concerts if offered free tickets and listen to nothing by choice:

Mariah Carey
    Celine Dion
    Whitney Houston
    Eminem
    Garth Brooks
    Rihanna
    Julio Iglesias

Is anyone else surprised by how high Dire Straits is on that list? I certainly never thought they were obscure, but I had no idea they were that popular!
    Wow, my list is IDENTICAL to yours, except mine includes ABBA (I think of them as a fun novelty act, but nothing I'd own, etc...)

I'm also pleasantly surprised Dire Straits in that top 30, as they were definitely one of my favorites of the 80's.

Dream Theatre as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My last Stones purchase was Some Girls, the day it came out.
    Mine as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If they're HUGE, and I have nothing from them, it's because I don't like them or don't care much for them.... and therefore no chance that I'll have seen them live...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Paul McCartney (I'd include the Beatles but for some reason I still have a copy of the Sergeant Pepper album that somebody taped me)
    AC/DC
    Metallica
    Van Der Graaf Generator
    Kate Bush
    Led Zeppelin
    FM
    U.F.O.
    U2
    The Smiths

With the exception of Van Der Graaf & U.F.O. who I haven't heard, I find the others dreary in the extreme.

With the exception of VdGG, Genesis, and Styx(ducks!), and Stones, I think I can safely say everything that everyone else has listed up to now.

And no, PeterG. the Dolls were not Huge in the US. Barely a blip on the radar.

Oh, I do have 2 Beatles records - Abbey Road and Yellow Bubmarine.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    With the exception of VdGG, Genesis, and Styx(ducks!), and Stones, I think I can safely say everything that everyone else has listed up to now.

And no, PeterG. the Dolls were not Huge in the US. Barely a blip on the radar.
    Why do you think that David J had to invent his Buster persona as well as co-star in the vilified "Car 54, Where Are You" movie?.

Not enough $$ generated by the Dolls perhaps?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman