Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steven Wilson's latest thoughts on the future of PT

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They wouldn't even have to be a nostalgia act. Make Wesley the frontman, write new material, and tour that new material while also playing PT stuff. Just assume the mantel, so to speak.
    Totally agree. Based on what I've heard of JW's solo work I could easily see plugging Richard, Colin and Gavin in behind him and everything working out just fine. He's a solid singer-songwriter who I think would also enjoy the collaborative process of working with those guys.

It's funny, the more I think about this the more I'm dying to see it happen. Get K-Scope and Brian Lane on the phone, stat!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My take is that, as a band album, The Incident was a commercial success. It also worked very well in a live setting. But as an album it just didn't stand up to their previous material. Did SW get that message loud and clear, and then leave to start his solo effort because he didn't really (personally) like what was produced by the combined band? Did any interviewer ask him "why did you leave at that point, right after the band just had their biggest success?
    I'm pretty sure there was an interview around the time of either Insurgentes or Grace for Drowning where SW pretty much explicitly said that he realized that on The Incident he had artistically painted himself and the band into a corner, and that his move to a solo career was so that he could escape the confinement and expectations that came with being in Porcupine Tree.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

You know what's a GREAT way of getting Porcupine Tree back into action?

Staying home in your _____<-- :room here: and playing them.

Though there is/was nothing like a PT live show.

(insert scene of mass head bobbing audience here)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Outside of Wilson, have any of the other three collaborated together on anything?

I think beyond just being the clear creative driver for PT, I think Wilson is also the glue that binds those players together. If they were dying to do something together apart from SW, I would think it would've happened by now...especially given that SW is hardly being coy about his immediate plans for restarting PT. Frankly, I don't think the others need it that badly; they are all doing their own projects and seem pretty content. I'm sure, if SW came around with plans to go on the road or record together, that they'd all likely be game. But I don't get the impression any of them are sitting by their phone waiting for that call either.

I know some folks miss PT, I do too...I thought they were the bomb in a live setting, and one thing I *do* miss in Wilson's solo stuff is that unique sound that Barbieri brought to the mix. But...honestly, trying to reinvent the band without him would only ever at best be a thin tribute act to a guy who isn't dead or retired, and is currently making music not that far removed from PT. It'd be like trying to restart Dire Straits but leave Mark Knopfler out...

Just my $0.02 though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm sure Harrison is very happy with his gig

Are they in love with the writing or the band? If it's the writing then they should be happy with his solo stuff as well. It all came from the same brain.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Sometimes when someone from a band goes solo or ventures into side projects the solo work comes off as sort of a lesser consolation prize for the lack of band activity. In Steven Wilson's case I liked Porcupine Tree a lot, but it really feels like he has upped his game with his solo work and taken everything to the next level. I can't say I've listened to any of his last three albums and found myself longing for Porcupine Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Sometimes when someone from a band goes solo or ventures into side projects the solo work comes off as sort of a lesser consolation prize for the lack of band activity. In Steven Wilson's case I liked Porcupine Tree a lot, but it really feels like he has upped his game with his solo work and taken everything to the next level. I can't say I've listened to any of his last three albums and found myself longing for Porcupine Tree.
    again, from my 2012 interview:

"I am winning that battle, but it's hard, and I'm constantly reminding people that this is not a side project; it's the most important thing I've ever done."
    Last edited by jkelman; 03-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Suspended
    My take is that, as a band album, The Incident was a commercial success. It also worked very well in a live setting. But as an album it just didn't stand up to their previous material. Did SW get that message loud and clear, and then leave to start his solo effort because he didn't really (personally) like what was produced by the combined band? Did any interviewer ask him "why did you leave at that point, right after the band just had their biggest success?
    Because he felt the need to move on. It's called "progression".

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    One thing I will say, is this: if Porcupine Tree did get back together, I would have to say to the guys, "Look, there's no point in me writing the material, because if I were to do that, I might as well do it for a solo record. Let's try writing together, or try writing in partnerships." I would not be interested in coming in with an album that I'd written, which I used to do.'
    Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    But...honestly, trying to reinvent the band without him would only ever at best be a thin tribute act to a guy who isn't dead or retired, and is currently making music not that far removed from PT. It'd be like trying to restart Dire Straits but leave Mark Knopfler out...
    Hey, I would totally go for "Dire Straits Featuring John Illsely" and "Dire Straits as Seen Through the Eyes of Alan Clark".

Was there or is there a rift between Colin or Richard. I remember reading an interview circa Raven recording with Wilson stating its nice to play with musicians that you want to.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Was there or is there a rift between Colin or Richard. I remember reading an interview circa Raven recording with Wilson stating its nice to play with musicians that you want to.
    Never heard of that. The only falling out I know of is between Steven Wilson and (former drummer) Chris Maitland, who I think resented Steven's more or less total control over the band's output.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Never heard of that. The only falling out I know of is between Steven Wilson and (former drummer) Chris Maitland, who I think resented Steven's more or less total control over the band's output.
    But then he played on the first Blackfield record..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Hey, I would totally go for "Dire Straits Featuring John Illsely" and "Dire Straits as Seen Through the Eyes of Alan Clark".
    What about "The Pick Withers Band plays the entire Spring album [with four Mellotrons] and best of early Dire Straits" ?
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Or maybe they could change the name to Radioactive Toy (featuring most of the members of Porcupine Tree except the main visionary, songwriter and singer)
    Steven Less.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Steven Less.
    Love that!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Steven Less.
    OK, that's good.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Steven Less.
    Excellent!

Steven Less.
    We have a winner!

neil

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Can't speak for Richard, but met Colin when I was in London in the fall of 2012, and he had nothing but great things to say about the whole PT experience, even as he was moving into other things himself (he was there with the head of RareNoiseRecords).
    And a super nice guy, btw (both of 'em).

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    What about "The Pick Withers Band plays the entire Spring album [with four Mellotrons] and best of early Dire Straits" ?
    If they'll do "Twisting by the Pool" with Mellotrons, sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It'd be like trying to restart Dire Straits but leave Mark Knopfler out...
    They did!

http://thestraits.com/

But appear to be no more.

.... john wesley ... Can't say I know his own work at all. What does it sound like?
    It sounds pretty free, for one thing.

http://www.john-wesley.com/free/