Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New ELP live boxed set

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Well... I have a theory that ELP has no tape archive. It would certainly seem so. Live In Montreal would prove that. All the tracks on that are from Works Live and the video. I have given up on ever seeing a proper live release from them. I'll go throught each release...

All together I count 3 CDs of original multitrack material and a lot of bootlegs released commercially.

Next!
    Interesting theory. Might explain why the same live material kept getting released for a while there.

I remember being very disappointed by the sound of the first two official bootleg boxes when I first got them. They sounded like audience boots to me. The only official boots that I have that are worse (and they may be gray market at that...not quite sure) is the Quadra Box from Asia (three shows four discs.)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Did you see any of the High Voltage gig? I was really shocked by what I saw by the performance of all of them, to be honest. That opening 'Karn Evil 9' was close to a total trainwreck IMHO, with Keith Emerson stumbling over the notes and Carl Palmer's tempos all over the shop.

That Keith Emerson Band film was from a time when he had adapted somewhat to his previous hand problems and he was playing quite well. But he's had more trouble since then, and in any case he's given us enough music to enjoy. The High Voltage gig for me closed the book on anything to do with ELP.
    I was at the High Voltage gig and unfortunately..this is accurate. ELP in the 90s was great, especially around 97...they were playing excellent shows and there was talk of a new album..like something original sounding...I wasn't a big fan of BM and definitely not ITHS.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    All together I count 3 CDs of original multitrack material and a lot of bootlegs released commercially.

Next!
    My response was to the idea that they haven't released a lot of live archive material.

If you want to argue that they don't have a "proper" archive which pleases you, feel free. But it's really a different topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Interesting theory. Might explain why the same live material kept getting released for a while there.

I remember being very disappointed by the sound of the first two official bootleg boxes when I first got them. They sounded like audience boots to me. The only official boots that I have that are worse (and they may be gray market at that...not quite sure) is the Quadra Box from Asia (three shows four discs.)
    I don't know the Quadra Box, but I have Asia - Live in Tokyo 2008 (it says band approved official bootleg) I think the people who have approved this must be suffering hearing-loss, because it sounds terrible. I don't have a worse sounding CD in my collection. Even the Manfred Mann's Earth Band bootleg box sounds better.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 04-13-2015 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't know the Quadra Box, but I have Asia - Live in Tokyo 2008 (it says band approved official bootleg) I think the people who have approved this must be suffering hearing-loss, because it sounds terrible. I don't have a worse sounding CD in my collection. Even de Manfred Mann's Earth Band bootleg box sounds better.
    Not sure if Quadra was officially approved, but it was released on the Zoom Club label (a division of Silverstar Music LTD) in 2002 before the original members reformed so it is likely one of those "gray market" UK/Euro releases.

Question about the "Once Upon A Time In South America" release. I've seen it with what appears to be two different covers. Once is light brown and the other is light blue with a map of South America. What is the difference? Are they the same? Was it released with 2 different covers? It's a quasi-legal release as it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    Question about the "Once Upon A Time In South America" release. I've seen it with what appears to be two different covers. Once is light brown and the other is light blue with a map of South America. What is the difference? Are they the same? Was it released with 2 different covers? It's a quasi-legal release as it is.

Thanks
    I've never seen the blue one.

This is what I have, and it is a legal release.

img022.jpg
    Laura

These are the 2 covers I've seen listed on the internet.

elp blue.jpgelp brown.jpg

What is the difference between the two?

I've never seen the one with the blue cover, but that one doesn't mention anything about the 1997 shows. Perhaps that is a bootleg that only contains the songs from the 1993 shows.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    These are the 2 covers I've seen listed on the internet.

elp blue.jpgelp brown.jpg

What is the difference between the two?
    Not knowing any better, I'd say these were "gray market" releases.