Thread: Seaprog 2015 is coming in August

The next band is Seattle's Upwell

upwell.jpg

Members:

Michelle Pavcovich — Vocals, guitar
    Stevenflo Rosenstengel — Guitar, background vocals
    Kirk Jamieson — Drums, background vocals
    Jack Endino — Bass

Upwell: To move or flow upward; to rise from an inner source.

Upwell is a Seattle band operating in the nether realms where heavy rock, raw emotion, and artistic ambition meet.

"Upwell is one of the most terrifyingly great bands I have ever known out of Seattle. Their musicianship and song-writing is monstrous…they're heavy like Soundgarden or Zeppelin with killer female vocals, but with their own unique style."
    ~ Jack Endino, Producer

Links:

Upwell Official Site
    Upwell on Facebook
    Upwell on ReverbNation

Interesting stuff - very definitely Seattle grunge, with audible Soundgarden and Alice in Chains influences. But proggier than either, with more interesting harmonic structures, some almost jazzy-sounding chords, and shredding yet wonderfully off-center guitar leads. And while Michelle does a certain amount of yarling - first time I've heard that from a woman - she also sounds confident and unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoll View Post
    No, Joe. That means HONDO will buy me a beer (see his generous offer below) and I'll 'consider' passing it to you... remember, I'm cheap! Besides, I seem to remember you having a pretty good time last year...

Yeah. I had a great time! I could always be talked into buying you a beer if you catch me at the right time.

Next up, playing in the bar at the Columbia City Theater (Bar gigs are between sets, and free to the public): Plus or Minus

PlusOrMinus.jpg

Members:

Josh Brugman - guitar
    Tony Dunlap - guitar

Plus or Minus is an up-and-coming duo from Seattle, Washington. Built on a foundation primarily of acoustic guitar, they weave many elements into their songwriting, pulling from a huge array of influences from indie folk to progressive metal. Their ambitious collaboration of intricate guitar and vocal work produces a sound entirely unique. With music that takes on elaborate shapes of its own, members Josh Brugman and Tony Dunlap only push it further: “Our work ethic is extremely progressive, and I think our music reflects that.”

Links:
    Plus or Minus on Facebook
    Plus or Minus on ReverbNation

During a recent attempt to switch our web hosting service, someone swooped in and bought our domain name, Seaprog.org. Yes, we are pissed!

While we attempt to get our site back, and/or register and activate a new site name, here are some other ways to stay in touch with us:

Our Facebook page is consistently updated at is https://www.facebook.com/SeaprogFestival

Ticket sales continue (and you want to buy tickets, right? Right?? ) by going directly to PayPal Here

Ugh!

Your Seaprog Organizers
    Dennis Rea, Jon Davis and John Reagan
    Last edited by dissonati drummer; 05-09-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Okay, we have a new site address: http://seaprogfest.org/. We decided not to give in to extortion. That jerk can keep the old address.

This year's Sunday night headliner: Nik Turner & Flame Tree

NikTurner.jpg

One of the founding fathers of progressive space rock, Nik Turner (sax, flute, vocals) will psychedelicize the Seaprog stage with a specially assembled cast of Seattle creative music luminaries, including electric violinist Alicia DeJoie (Moraine), legendary Seattle musician/producer Jack Endino (Earthworm, Skinyard), synthesist Ffej (Tempered Steel), drummer Jack Gold-Molina (Spectral Waves), guitarist Dennis Rea (Moraine), and others tba. This cosmic collective will perform tracks from throughout Nik's career, including classics by Hawkwind, Space Ritual, Inner City Unit, Sphynx, and Space Fusion Odyssey. Nik Turner & Flame Tree will headline the Sunday 8/9 roster.

Links:

Nik Turner Official Web Site
    Nik Turner on Facebook
    Nik Turner on YouTube
    Last edited by dissonati drummer; 05-09-2015 at 06:10 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by dissonati drummer View Post
    Okay, I didn't get the contract for a headliner yet, so what the heck, let's start the announcements with local Seattle band General Mojo's Key Project

Attachment 5036

We don't have a specific time slot for GMKP yet - it will be an afternoon show on Saturday or Sunday.

"General Mojo's Key Project is a 5-piece genre-bending Psychedelic rock band from Seattle, WA. An amalgamation of distinct musical backgrounds, colors and grooves, GMKP strives for new depths in texture and rhythm.

We are:
    Dune Butler - Vox // Bass // Sub-Phatty
    Kate Copeland - Vox // Keys // Percussion
    David Salonen - Vox // Guitar // Fiddle
    Eric Vanderbilt-Mathews - Vox // Keys // Horns
    Sam Veatch - Drums // Percussion"

Check out Free Sound Paradox from their self-titled album.

http://generalmojos.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/GeneralMojoMusic
    https://generalmojomusic.bandcamp.com/
    Wow, I'm impressed - Totally acoustic, live, and not a microphone to be seen on anything. Great performance!!

MoeTar has an excellent sound and feel they hooked me pretty fast. So many great young prog bands.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

The first time I met Moorea (Moe) and her husband Tarik (Tar), I asked her if she had a day job. She smiled and said, "I'm a voice instructor and vocal coach". Not surprised.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The next band announcement is Panther Attack

Attachment 5358

Members:

Kelly Mynes — Drums, guitar
    Jon Weins — Bass
    Josh Grapes — Guitar
    Andrew Grapes — Drums, samples

Panther Attack is a Seattle band bent on "exploring irregular structures." The band originally convened in Detroit many years ago, then moved to Seattle, and has toured extensively. Their first release, Martyr Bonus, came out in 2007, and their newest is Sung amongst Shadows, a sophisticated collection of complex arrangements and raw sounds.

Links:

Panther Attack on Bandcamp
    Panther Attack on Facebook

Next up is another Seattle band: Pink Octopus

Attachment 5361

Members:

Jonathan Louis Huffman — Guitar
    Ian McCarley — Bass
    Luke Wyman — Bass
    Michael Porenta — Saxophone

Pink Octopus is the Seattle-based outlet for the compositions of guitarist Jonathan Huffman. His wide-ranging musical vision includes elements from several streams of rock along with a sprinkling of jazz. There are complex arrangements featuring odd meters, killer grooves with screaming solos, and enough ideas for three or four ordinary bands. Ordinary they are not.

Links:

Pink Octopus on Facebook
    Pink Octopus on Bandcamp
    Roadies Delight Records
    Last edited by dissonati drummer; 05-13-2015 at 02:33 PM.

UPDATE: I Know You Well Miss Clara has canceled their performance at this year's festival

The next band announcement is Indonesian quartet I Know You Well Miss Clara

Attachment 5363

Members:

Reza Ryan — Guitar
    Adi Wijaya — Keyboards
    Enriko Gultom — Bass
    Alfiah Akbar — Drums

Seaprog is pleased to present the American debut of I Know You Well Miss Clara from Yogyakarta, Indonesia. This talented band combines electric jazz along the lines of Miles Davis with elements of progressive rock in the King Crimson vein to create their own unique sound. Their Moonjune Records release Chapter One has been getting them worldwide exposure, and listeners have been enchanted by their exciting mixture of foreboding darkness and joyful lightness.

Links:

I Know You Well Miss Clara Official Site
    I Know You Well Miss Clara Facebook
    Moonjune Records
    Last edited by dissonati drummer; 07-14-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Another great pick! Love the variety.

neil

The next band announcement is another local Kingston (near Seattle) band: Isthmusia

Members:

Michael Esparo - Drums
    Matt Robison - Guitar, vocals
    Logan Hixson - Bass

Isthmusia is a young band out of Kingston, Washington, proving that you really can't guess where good music will be made. They are nothing if not eclectic, blending heavy elements with lighter sounds, powerful crashing with tricky math rock.

Links:

Isthmusia on BandCamp
    Isthmusia on Facebook

http://seaprogfest.org/
    Tickets: http://seaprogfest.org/welcome/store.html

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Harold -

If you give me a heads-up a week or so before, I could certainly come up and say hello. I visit the Seattle area fairly often to hike, and could schedule one of my trips to coincide with yours.
    Hey John, looks like I will not be going to Seattle at all. I recently started a new job and have accrued no vacation time. So sadly, I'll be missing the wedding AND a chance to see you again....hopefully, another time...

Next, check out Johnny Unicorn and His Jam Unit

Members:

Johnny Unicorn — Guitar, saxophones, accordion, synthesizer, vocals
    Naomi Adele Smith — Keyboards, vocals
    Chris Barrios — Drums, guitar
    Jesse Mercury — Drums, bass, vocal
    Adriana Tapia — Vocals

With a name like Johnny Unicorn, you know you're in for some serious downbeat tunes full of doom and gloom... not. He's a California singer-songwriter now resident in Seattle, and aside from producing a string of fine albums under his own name, he's the bass player for local favorites Autumn Electric.

It has been described as eclectic and quirky, like They Might Be Giants mixed with Frank Zappa, yet moody and expansive, like a mournful space whale. With the help of his Jam Unit, Johnny Unicorn will take you on an epic journey spanning a wide range of the rock spectrum, including the world's first progressive rock exercise song and the world's last progressive rock song about pimples. Put on your headbands and get ready to prog out with your Korg out!

Links:

Johnny Unicorn Web Site
    Johnny Unicorn on Facebook

http://seaprogfest.org/
    Tickets: http://seaprogfest.org/welcome/store.html

Next up, my new band, Magick Pagoda

Members:

Steve Turnidge — Bass, mastering, metaphors, vocalizations
    John Reagan — Drums, percussion, vocals, enthusiasm
    Carl Marti Germain — Guitars, eyes-closed Frippisms
    Christian Heilman — Keyboards, mixing, tea

Magick Pagoda came about when Christian Heilman of Mixerguy Studio decided to put together a group of musicians with prog influences to improvise in the studio and develop ideas. "The ideas became compositions for me to paint on and apply mix experiments to," he adds. "We would add overdubs onto the roughs and suddenly these pieces finished themselves, sorta."

We are too new for a video, but check out our first pieces on Bandcamp.

[QUOTE=dissonati drummer;409334]UPDATE: I Know You Well Miss Clara has canceled their performance at this year's festival

Does this open up a chance to book Gentleman Surfer???????