Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes Box Set - PROGENY: 7 Shows From '72 (2015)

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I just want to know "When?" and "How much?" There's zero doubt I'm a buyer for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Not to mention Facebook!

I'm in but disappointed, Tales or GftO shows would have been a better call but who knows what else was in that case they found and what might follow

I seem to remember the proper audio for QPR 75 being mentioned - hopefully "next round"

BG
    See reel 2 of those tapes found (above) I think that was QPR.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    This leaked and removed after

Damn, I thought at first you meant the recordings themselves had been leaked.

Let's hope all that new Dean artwork includes some floating rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Let's hope all that new Dean artwork includes some floating rocks!
    With Trees on them, thats what is shown in the blurry Picture....

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Good to see both Yesfans.com and ProgressiveEars.com complaining about this release within the first 10 posts on the topic...
    I know, right? Warms my heart. I won't get my panties on too big a wad until we really know what's on it. I do hold out the eternal hole that a proper mix of Queen's Park will see the light of day... I'd spend fat stacks for a new DVD with a real mix.

If it's all soundboards or multi track source, count me in. If it's a collection of audience boots, not interested.

Good to see both Yesfans.com and ProgressiveEars.com complaining about this release within the first 10 posts on the topic...

Henry
    Please don't stretch the meaning of what I posted, Henry. I should have elaborated a bit. I'll admit that. If it was just 7 shows from when Alan joined that would be fine, and hopefully some have better audio quality than Yessongs. That alone would be a plus. But it would be like Yessongs in that it would be heavy on that era and not the one prior. That would be a missed opportunity. Having it as a split here makes it a lot more appealing for many of us, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Please don't stretch the meaning of what I posted, Henry. I should have elaborated a bit. I'll admit that. If it was just 7 shows from when Alan joined that would be fine, and hopefully some have better audio quality than Yessongs. That alone would be a plus. But it would be like Yessongs in that it would be heavy on that era and not the one prior. That would be a missed opportunity. Having it as a split here makes it a lot more appealing for many of us, I suspect.
    Best reports so far suggest it's all from the CttE tour with White, although that's not been 100% confirmed. I think we're looking at the same approach Crimson has taken: release everything available (above a certain audio quality) from a tour.

Fans have been crying out for years for the Yes archives to be opened up, so if we're getting 7 shows from the CttE tour, that seems like great news to me and I'd rather focus on what we are getting than on looking in the gift horse's mouth and complaining that some of the teeth aren't from February 1972.

And, as I said, I suspect this is a beginning, that we will see other shows from other tours in due course.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I love my live concerts. Used to collect boots and have come to realize that aside from Genesis, the fans of most bands often have access to better boots than the band itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Is all this after Bill left? If so, boo.
    Yeah, since there are rumored soundboard recordings from earlier in 1972 at the end of the Fragile tour, it would be nice if one of them would be included in this set.

Bill Heart of the Sunrise > Alan Heart of the Sunrise

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Yeah, since there are rumored soundboard recordings from earlier in 1972 at the end of the Fragile tour, it would be nice if one of them would be included in this set.

Bill Heart of the Sunrise > Alan Heart of the Sunrise
    Wouldn't it be nicer if there was a separate set of all Fragile tour recordings later?

There's lots of material in the Yes archives. I hope we see it all released.

Henry

Wouldn't it be nicer if there was a separate set of all Fragile tour recordings later?
    I would like to have a split here. The rumoured Spring '72 shows with Bruford had this fixed setlist:

Roundabout
    I've Seen All Good People
    Mood For A Day
    Clap
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Wakeman Solo
    Long Distance Runaround
    Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)
    Perpetual Change
    Yours Is No Disgrace
    South Side of the Sky
    (they dropped it along the way)

During the Fall '72 tour with White, from which the other hinted dates come, they invariably played this set:

Siberian Khatru
    I've Seen All Good People
    Mood For A Day
    Clap
    And You And I
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Close To The Edge
    Wakeman Solo
    Roundabout
    Yours Is No Disgrace

Summer CttE '72 tour included also America, while Winter '72 dates brought back Starship Trooper.

I am looking forward to see some variety in this box, otherwise it will be hard for me to justify the purchase.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-27-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I just want to know "When?" and "How much?" There's zero doubt I'm a buyer for this.
    Yeah, would like to know when this is going to drop out of Yes" music hole.

I'm with the camp of "overkill".. for my $'s.. if I'm gonna own "official" releases.. I'd rather have one from each tour.. I've got tons of ROIO's from most of the line ups.. the one I own with Peter is subject.. but I've got a couple of official releases that cover his period nicely.. BBC / The Word is Live..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I'm with the camp of "overkill".. for my $'s.. if I'm gonna own "official" releases.. I'd rather have one from each tour.. I've got tons of ROIO's from most of the line ups..
    If you've got tons of ROIOs from most of the line-ups, releases from which the band makes no money and are in breach of their intellectual property rights, aren't you kind of morally obligated to support official releases?

"I have lots of boots already" should never be a reason to not buy an official release, least not if we want bands to ever bother doing official releases.

Henry

If you've got tons of ROIOs from most of the line-ups, releases from which the band makes no money and are in breach of their intellectual property rights, aren't you kind of morally obligated to support official releases?

"I have lots of boots already" should never be a reason to not buy an official release, least not if we want bands to ever bother doing official releases.

Henry
    100% spot on. We should support the artists who have brought pleasure to our lives…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I am an avid bootleg collector, but I most often purchase the legitimate stuff too, whenever it appears on the market, to entice artists to open their live vaults wider. However I also expect that the artist offers me the quality (often missed in the boot business) and certain flexibility of choice. The good examples of how to handle the vaults properly are IMO: King Crimson, Grateful Dead, Soft Machine, Bob Dylan, Phish, Allman Brothers Band or Frank Zappa.

In case of Yes I would consider an error starting the archive campaign by releasing a lavish box of seven nearly identical live sets from the very limited timespan. It would have been as if King Crimson or Grateful Dead had launched their archive trawl with Larks Tongues in Aspic and May 1977 boxes. If you add to this that Yes did not offer too much improvisation or setlist variety on their classic tours, the CttE tour-only box will cater only to die-hards. Now as they have already decided to go for a big release, they should assemble it in a more diverse fashion to make it appeal to a broader market. IMO.

I would be very glad to hear the untampered raw material from Yessongs and I do hope they do not plan to screw it up, just like Jimmy Page butchered the Paris Olympia '69 gig on the LZ deluxe edition or like Genesis devastated their live boxset with dreadful overdubs. Still I am counting on a more diverse selection of dates from ALL their 1972 tours, which would definitely help make the new release a priority purchase.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-27-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    However I also expect that the artist offers me the quality (often missed in the boot business) and certain flexibility of choice.
    It is, perhaps, difficult to judge quality and flexibility of a release that hasn't even been officially announced yet, let alone released or heard by any of us. I don't know what release options there will be, I don't know costs, I don't know what the broader range of archival releases will be. I don't know what shows are included, I don't know what they sound like, I don't know what work has been done to them. So, mark me down as excited, and we will see what further details emerge.

Henry

I don't know... I don't know... I don't know... I don't know... I don't know
    Bah -- you're useless. Begone!

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I'd rather have seven different shows from '71-'80, i.e. a primo show ca. Fragile all the way through Drama.
    Agreed. Not complaining or anything, as I can't criticize something about which I know nothing about, but this is the format that I'd prefer.

I am looking forward to see some variety in this box, otherwise it will be hard for me to justify the purchase.
    Right. This will surely carry a rather large price tag, and it's going to be difficult to spend that much on seven similar shows.

I would be very glad to hear the untampered raw material from Yessongs and I do hope they do not plan to screw it up, just like Jimmy Page butchered the Paris Olympia '69 gig on the LZ deluxe edition or like Genesis devastated their live boxset with dreadful overdubs.
    Maybe this is a response to the upcoming JA/JLP set, and they overdubbed Jon Davison on all of the recordings.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This will surely carry a rather large price tag, and it's going to be difficult to spend that much on seven similar shows.
    I thought fans wanted as much as possible from the archives to be released? Certainly I see people getting excited about each new bootleg recording that is unearthed, but maybe those sorts of fans are gung-ho for this release, while others aren't. It does seem to be a product aimed at one end of the market.

I've seen other bands release multi-show sets. There's quite a bit of variation across the 24-disc (almost twice as many discs as Progeny) The Road to Red, for example, but also a whole lot of repetition. Yes's CttE tour sets were largely constant, but there were improvised sections that varied from night to night.

Henry

important bit of info on amazon there for people not wanting a big box

" HIGHLIGHTS FROM SEVENTY-TWO includes 90 minutes of live recordings selected from various shows."

chalkpie
    Is Jon Davison on this?