Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes Box Set - PROGENY: 7 Shows From '72 (2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    With QPR, the sound improves on the 2nd half because this was what the BBC broadcast at the time, so somebody had to have a source to do some kind of mix there. I am not sure how the first half leaked out. The first half does sound like a very bad soundboard...if that's what they were hearing on stage, it's a miracle they didn't make more screw-ups!
    Another possibility is that the impromptu mix of the first half of the show was so bad that the BBC decided to just use the second half for the broadcast. You'd think the recording crew would have gotten the levels more or less correct during soundcheck, but perhaps they didn't have the opportunity to do that. The first 30 minutes or so really does sound like some guy furiously trying to figure out what's on every channel.

The Old Grey Whistle Test was generally 50-60 minutes or so in length. I don't think there were many episodes longer than that. See the Queen/Jethro Tull shows which have been released, which were not the full concerts- just what was needed for broadcast. In fact nothing else of those shows was even videotaped by the BBC, so I guess Yes themselves shot the QPR footage.

The only other time Yes were on that show was in the shape of (most of) the Yessongs film. However their solo projects were featured.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-21-2018 at 01:58 AM.

I don't think that is correct, the BBC shot the QPR footage for the OGWT.

The Word Is Live had quite a lot from the Tormato tour (including 'The Big Medley') so it plugged a gap there, but nothing from 1977. The 1977 tour always appealed to me more...they were touring a much stronger album.

With Moraz I'd prefer something from 1974/5 because Relayer was played in full. But I don't know if anything is available beyond the radio (Boston) and TV (QPR) stuff already out there...a remixed QPR would of course be welcome if possible.

The Word Is Live is a bit of an odd release if you listen to it in sequence (especially the last disc which covers three different line-ups!) but it's essential for fans of their live recordings.
    That third disc gets played the most in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Another possibility is that the impromptu mix of the first half of the show was so bad that the BBC decided to just use the second half for the broadcast. You'd think the recording crew would have gotten the levels more or less correct during soundcheck, but perhaps they didn't have the opportunity to do that. The first 30 minutes or so really does sound like some guy furiously trying to figure out what's on every channel.
    It would baffle me if they hadn't brought a mobile multi-track studio, and would have somehow expected that an on-the-fly mix would be of sufficient standard... Anything can happen at a gig, in terms of instruments making unexpected, over-loud or strange sounds, so to not have the possibility of altering the mix after the fact would have been foolish. This being said, the part of the show that was broadcast, while much superior to the first hour, doesn't really sound like a proper studio mix, so my assumption may be wrong. Maybe there WAS a studio mix but it was rushed ? And maybe there WERE multitracks for the entire show but they were subsequently lost or destroyed...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Yes Vinyl-Hounds: You know you need this. Look at all those colors of vinyl!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh lord...

It's a beautiful looking set, but I know I would never listen to those individual records enough to justify it for myself. I still want it though. (I got the 7-LP box set of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th anniversary edition and still haven't listened to all of the extra material in that -- however, it's still a lovely set!)

Maybe they will release a vinyl edition of the 2-disc Progeny comp.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh lord...

It's a beautiful looking set, but I know I would never listen to those individual records enough to justify it for myself. I still want it though. (I got the 7-LP box set of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th anniversary edition and still haven't listened to all of the extra material in that -- however, it's still a lovely set!)

https://www.discogs.com/release/7116...om-Seventy-Two

Thanks. I was hoping for a colored vinyl edition though.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Beautiful and tempting set, but it’s for people who have more money and living space than I do.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh lord...

I really enjoy the CD set, I’ve cycled through the shows many times. Being a sucker I also have the triple gatefold vinyl of the highlights set. I love the look of the coloured vinyl edition, but I fear I cannot justify the cost. I have the vinyl box set of the Steven Wilson remixes, and it’s still in its shrink wrap two years later. This was a birthday present, and I’ve got the music on CD, so I didn’t need that set either!

I'd like to hear the Ottawa show sometime, but haven't found a reasonable way to date.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I'd like to hear the Ottawa show sometime, but haven't found a reasonable way to date.
    I think you can get the individual shows on Itunes if you just want the one.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Ah, excellent! iTunes functions essentially as malware on my PC, but once I was able to tame it I can see I can get it for $9.99 ... thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This is ridiculous.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    And streaming everywhere of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    This is ridiculous.
    Don’t hold back on your true feelings Henry

I remember Chris Squire being incredulous when the first Progeny set was released, wondering why anybody would want to sit through seven sequential shows. I imagine he would be scratching his head against this time around, but $1 million of potential revenue might cast a positive light on the release.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    This is ridiculous.
    For me, these boxed archive projects simply make no sense whatsoever on record. Too bloated in every way.

For me, these boxed archive projects simply make no sense whatsoever on record. Too bloated in every way.
    I tend to agree. But people keep doing them, so I guess someone's buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Ah, excellent! iTunes functions essentially as malware on my PC, but once I was able to tame it I can see I can get it for $9.99 ... thank you!
    That’s why I said think because I was looking at it on my PC and no ITunes doesn’t play well with Windows 😁

Glad you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    It would baffle me if they hadn't brought a mobile multi-track studio, and would have somehow expected that an on-the-fly mix would be of sufficient standard... Anything can happen at a gig, in terms of instruments making unexpected, over-loud or strange sounds, so to not have the possibility of altering the mix after the fact would have been foolish. This being said, the part of the show that was broadcast, while much superior to the first hour, doesn't really sound like a proper studio mix, so my assumption may be wrong. Maybe there WAS a studio mix but it was rushed ? And maybe there WERE multitracks for the entire show but they were subsequently lost or destroyed...
    As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "Due to the unique way the BBC is funded...", they probably didn't have the budget to bring a full blown remote truck to a gig. Even if such resources were available, and given the BBC's infamous track record with hanging onto stuff that they actually broadcast, forget about what was essentially outtakes, anything that was recorded that wasn't broadcast at the time was probably taped over. It's almost a miracle we even have the first half of the concert on video, at all!

I wonder what the likelihood of them doing a repressing of the CD edition. I didn't get to grab when it was released.

Who doesn't need more live versions of I've Seen All Good People?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Who doesn't need more live versions of I've Seen All Good People?
    Listening to that Progeny set when it was newish, I remember the Your Move segments were tough to sit through. The multiple Siberian Khatru and Heart of the Sunrise versions were cool though.