Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Choice for the Only Album to Own by a Band

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Which bands have you only owned one album from, in which the album was not an "obvious" choice?

"Extra Texture." Hardly the pinnacle of solo Harrison. How did he not have "All Things Must Pass"?
    Brainwashed. Given to me as a gift, I've never listened to it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Brainwashed. Given to me as a gift, I've never listened to it.
    I rather like 'Brainwashed.' Played 'Marwa Blues' for my Dad. I don't think he appreciates the slide guitar. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    Jeez do your friggin homework.
    I did and I do. My point was that many people don't.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It is the Only VdGG I have on vinyl. Why, because I saw it in a store and when I heard it, I liked it and because I desperatly wanted to buy a record, because I was sad, I bought this one. Never really cared for exploring them further, because I was far more into German progressive rock, which mostly could be found under Kraut. Now I have most of their stuff on CD, including this one.
    That's cool. I have only heard it a few times but still I would say it's not the best place to start with the band(certainly not their most accessible). It's certainly not their worst either though and it does have "killer" on it which is one of their best songs.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That's cool. I have only heard it a few times but still I would say it's not the best place to start with the band(certainly not their most accessible). It's certainly not their worst either though and it does have "killer" on it which is one of their best songs.
    I loved House with no door. Still do love this song. Killer is also a great song and it inspired me to a drawing.

Not too many artists do I just have one album by, but:

Propaganda - 1,2,3,4: I really like some of this and probably its my favorite Propaganda album (David Gilmour guests) but I think it is much less popular than their first two.

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell: I had all their albums on vinyl back in the day, prior to 'The Wall', which I never picked up. Then with the advent of cds, I bought 'Division Bell' when it was released, but never went and picked up prior cds for some reason. Too much new stuff to buy out there. So not sure if that technically counts. (I did buy David Gilmour's 'On An Island' the only Gilmour solo album I own)

My only Eloy album is Performance. I bought it along with Inside years ago. Inside didn't hold my interest, but Performance is OK for what it is. I particularly like the keyboard sounds, the album is almost like an Oberheim sound demo.

I've sampled a lot of other Eloy albums, but I don't really care for them. I like Performance because I think the band works better in a tighter, more structured song based format. But I'm probably in the minority on that.

Bill

For a long time I owned a vinyl copy of Gentle Giants Giant For A Day.

I knew nothing of the band, and actually won the album in a competition in a club one night (talking mid 70's here).

I really liked it...and like most albums you kind of grow up with when young you always feel a sort of kinship with them, even though later in life your tastes change.

Once I got to know about the band over the years, it seemed that this album was generally held in low esteem by fans of the band. I kind of understand better now, knowing the rest of the bands repertoire I guess I can see the point.

But I don't care...still like it.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Cheap Trick: Dream Police
    Dead Can Dance: The Serpent’s Egg
    Eurythmics: In the Garden
    The Four Seasons: Who Loves You (bought on a whim from a Goodwill store)
    The Move: Looking On (not sure if this counts, since I used to own the A&M comp The Best of the Move)
    Gary Numan: Dance
    Lou Reed: The Bells
    The Residents: Eskimo
    Steppenwolf: 7
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The Four Seasons: Who Loves You
    I have this. I don't think it's an odd choice at all for "only album". There are some excellent songs here, and it has much less of the early 1960s bubblegum feel that typified many of their earlier recordings.When I first heard the title track in a record store, I thought at first it was Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I did and I do. My point was that many people don't.
    I got your point. Don't know if you got mine, though.

Savatage- Hall of the Mountain King

(It's pure 'hair metal', without any of the piano/keys you'll find on much of their latter-day symphonic-leaning offerings.)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I got your point. Don't know if you got mine, though.
    Actually no I didn't. It made no sense to me given the context. I just saw it as mimicking. But let's move on shall we?
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-27-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    Savatage- Hall of the Mountain King
    While I have later Savatage albums, this album brings back a lot of college-era memories that I enjoy. It came out in the void between adolescence and adulthood and filled it nicely. And there ARE keys on "Prelude to Madness," actually.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I have this. I don't think it's an odd choice at all for "only album". There are some excellent songs here, and it has much less of the early 1960s bubblegum feel that typified many of their earlier recordings.When I first heard the title track in a record store, I thought at first it was Yes.
    Really? Yes does disco? Incidentally, part of the reason this sounds “different” is because Frankie Valli seems to have been in the process of being phased out of the group. Drummer Gino Polci sings most of the leads here; he’s the main lead singer on the big hit “December 1963 (Oh What a Night)” and I think the only lead on “Silver Star.” They really dropped the ball on the follow-up album, Helicon (the cover and title suggests that it’s their flirtation with prog, which it sadly is not), which seriously bombed.

Dead Can Dance: The Serpent’s Egg
    Gary Numan: Dance
    Their best album in both cases.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The Serpent's Egg is a great album.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Really? Yes does disco?

Suspended
    They really dropped the ball on the follow-up album, Helicon (the cover and title suggests that it’s their flirtation with prog, which it sadly is not), which seriously bombed.
    I agree; Helicon was rubbish.

there is an earler Four Seasons album that I've seen mentioned in various places but never heard, that is claimed to have elements of progressiveness. The title is "Imitation lLfe Gazette" or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Be Bop Deluxe's Drastic Plastic.

I checked out some of the earlier albums since I enjoyed DP so much, but none of them really clicked for me, even though they're much more highly regarded. So I had to conclude that Be Bop Deluxe just wasn't really for me. I still love DP, though. Just listened to it again a few days ago, in fact.
    Wow, that was the only one I owned for a decade too. But I thought it WAS the one to own. I picked up their box set last year and still think DP is the best of the bunch, but that's likely because I knew it inside out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Scorpions-Fly to the Rainbow
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The only Alice Cooper I have is Pretties for You

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    there is an earler Four Seasons album that I've seen mentioned in various places but never heard, that is claimed to have elements of progressiveness. The title is "Imitation lLfe Gazette" or something similar.
    Genuine Imitation Life Gazette, the one-off flirtation with psychedelia that it seems every band had to do circa 1967-69. I don’t have it but one of my close friends does, and it’s the only Four Seasons album he owns.

Almost forgot. The only album I ever bought from Magma was a compilation of 7-inch singles called Simples. Didn't do anything for me, and I never sought out anything past that CD.

Got two of 'em. I'm not particularly a fan of either but I just sorta bumped into them and bought 'em impulsively:

The Triumph Of Steel - Manowar: The first week I had it I wanted to get rid of it. I wanted it outta my sight. Then I grew a sense of humor about it and I've kept it. Loads of meatheaded fun...

Spooky Tooth - The Mirror (1974): Found it in a used bin for a dollar or something. Cool little album.

I've never heard any other albums by either band.