Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Whitesnake CD is a Deep Purple covers album

New Whitesnake CD is a Deep Purple covers album

I don't expect much from these guys at this point, but this is an album of Deep Purple remakes of songs from the three albums that Coverdale sang on. Not blown away by the first track.

More here on track listings and tour: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...e-purple-album

The last couple CDs had some good stuff on them, but why would you do THIS???
    How much does he think he can make off this project?
    It's over Johnny.... or in this case Davey.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Is Billy Sherwood involved?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The last couple CDs had some good stuff on them, but why would you do THIS???
    I think Doug Aldrich leaving Whitesnake was a big let down for Coverdale. The albums Aldrich was on had some good songs, as you stated. I'm sure Coverdale probably thought that this was an easy way to get something released so soon after Aldrich's departure.

I actually think this cover version cd is a good idea--there's still a lot of love out there for these tunes.

But what's with Dave's voice in the video? Has he completely lost it (the voice, that is...)?

^There have been rumblings about the decline of Coverdale's vocals, especially in concerts, for some years.

I've not seen him live so couldn't comment on that, but I feel his shrieky period in the 80s can't have helped. I think he had sounded marvellous in the 70s, before he was doing so much of that.

If Blackmore hears this he'll get a good laugh out of it. I'm still waiting for Coverdale to clear his throat. He sounds awful.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think he had sounded marvellous in the 70s, before he was doing so much of that.
    He sounded great in the 70s when most of what you were hearing was Hughes.

Deep Purple "covers?" They're all the songs he worked on when he was in the band! Would that make "Speak of the Devil" or "Genesis Revisited" "covers" albums?

I would be more impressed if there was Gillan-era stuff in there.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I'm still waiting for Coverdale to clear his throat. He sounds awful.
    Agreed. Some fans on Facebook are saying that it might be the arrangement of the song that is causing him to sing this way. Not so sure about that.

^That doesn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny. The song has actually been downtuned by one whole key, and the arrangement is very similar to the original (albeit rather 'metalled up', not really for me but others might disagree).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He sounded great in the 70s when most of what you were hearing was Hughes.
    No. I never liked Hughes in Deep Purple apart from 'This Time Around'.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Deep Purple "covers?" They're all the songs he worked on when he was in the band! Would that make "Speak of the Devil" or "Genesis Revisited" "covers" albums?
    actually, yes

Coverdale's voice is shot, by all accounts. I haven't seen him in concert in over a decade, but even then he sounded horrible in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I think Doug Aldrich leaving Whitesnake was a big let down for Coverdale. The albums Aldrich was on had some good songs, as you stated. I'm sure Coverdale probably thought that this was an easy way to get something released so soon after Aldrich's departure.
    Good point. I actually thought their last one "Forevermore" was a pretty strong effort.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Good point. I actually thought their last one "Forevermore" was a pretty strong effort.
    The lead single, "Love Will Set You Free", was the best I have heard from Whitesnake since the 80s.

Doug Aldrich is a great guitar player and an even cooler guy. I've known him since his House Of Lords days, circa 1991.

I think Robert Plant once called him David Coverversion. I see that has now come true.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

A bold move. Never realized Whitesnake were such an eclectic bunch…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Excellent, just what I've been waiting for. Love DC's voice & he's great at singing DP songs.

So why not play the original DP albums, when his voice was still strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I think Robert Plant once called him David Coverversion. I see that has now come true.

Bill
    Well, the Coverdale/Page album (which ultimately caused such comments from Plant), dated production and 'Feelin' Hot' aside, is very enjoyable IMHO. I certainly like it more than the one Page did with Plant, 'Walking Into Clarksdale'.

I bought Coverdale/Page and Page/Plant's Walking Into Clarksdale at about the same time. Every time I listened to the former I kept forgetting I wasn't listening to the latter. Coverdale's Plant impression is frighteningly accurate on that one.

I'd prefer these tunes without Hughes shrieking. Too bad Coverdale's voice is no longer up to the task. Maybe he should have taken Plant's route and switched to a gentler style of tunes but I don't think subtlety is Coverdale's strong suit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Being a huge Deep Purple & Whitesnake fan, I'm actually looking forward to SOMEONE dusting out all these great MK III & IV DP classics. Coverdale's vocals these days might be a shadow of what they once were, but I caught the band 3 years ago back on their last US tour, and he sounded pretty good for the most part. Apparently the upcoming tour will feature half of these DP songs and half Whitesnake classics.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    A bold move. Never realized Whitesnake were such an eclectic bunch…
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post

Bill
    likewise, auntie cov once quipped that “one can hear ‘kashmir’ on moroccan radio all day’ ”. strange then that both fellas went off to cut “coverdale/page” (1993) afterwards which had “derivative-ness” stamped all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Being a huge Deep Purple & Whitesnake fan, I'm actually looking forward to SOMEONE dusting out all these great MK III & IV DP classics.
    exactly what i was thinking. an unexpected but, ultimately, understandable move.

why not?

Got my tickets yesterday to see them in AC. Funny I am a huge old school Coverdale and DP fan yet all the times I have seen him he has never done a DP song at that particular show and this dates all the way back to the Slide it In Tour. Looking forward to seeing Joel on guitar as he is quite the beast. BTW, Coverdale did not start sounding like Plant until his voice took a drastic change following throat surgery after Slide it In. Prior to that he had a deeper growly blues voice. The high pitch shrieking was always Hughes. I miss the Dave of old.