Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroger grocery store & ELP

Kroger grocery store & ELP

Was Just in Kroger grocery store and over the speakers was streaming "From the Beginning" by ELP.....including the Moog solo at the end!!!!!

...wonders never cease !...it made an otherwise boring trip to the supermarket somewhat enjoyable.

That's one of the songs I learned to play all of the instruments on.
    "One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." ---Kurt Vonnegut

Well, that particular song is not that unusual to hear in a grocery store imo. I'm pretty sure I have heard it at least once. What surprised me was hearing "the wizard" by Uriah Heep and "Sylvia" by Focus in the grocery store a few years ago. Lately I haven't heard anything that has raised an eyebrow though. Sometimes I hear interesting and slightly deep track-ish tracks in drug stores. I remember once hearing a song from David Gilmour's "About Face" album in a drug store that I never heard before.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Today at the grocery store, I heard All I Ever Wanted by Santana. Yeah, it's one of their pop songs, but still, it seemed like an obscure choice.

I'm sometimes surprised by some of the music I hear at my job. They used to play Suddenly Last Summer by The Motels and a couple other things that struck me as kind of interesting choices. Ages ago, probably 10-12 years ago, I heard Roxy Music's More Than This at either a McDonald's or a Burger King.

A few years ago I was in Walgreens and heard Black Sabbath, iron Man, that was a shock

The album version of Roundabout was playing yesterday while I was shopping at the Basha's grocery...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I don't think I've ever heard the single version of Roundabout on the radio(not even in public). Even classic rock stations play the album version.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-25-2015 at 12:26 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard the single version of Roundabout on the radio(not even in public). Even classic rock stations play the album version.

I recall first hearing the 7-inch single version of Roundabout on an AM radio back when it came out in the early 70s. However, within a year I was hearing the same AM radio station playing the album version. The single version basically went away. Same deal with Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird. First, the single version on AM radio, then it goes away after about a year and is more or less permanently replaced with the (longer) album version.

Radio DJs would get pressure from the public over the request line to play the "more familiar" version, and, *most* importantly, the DJs were fully in favor of a longer song to enable a bathroom break. After all, it would be silly to play Traffic's "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" every hour or so just to create a bathroom break in the music schedule.

In elevators and a few department stores back in the 70s and 80s, I recall hearing both Jethro Tull, and probably a bit more often, the Musak Orchestra playing Jethro Tull hits.

The only time I was stopped in my tracks by a song in a department/grocery/drug store was one Christmas years ago I heard Wizzard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday." Odd in that that song never made a dent in the USA, and it was a cover version! By whom - no idea.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    Same deal with Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird. First, the single version on AM radio, then it goes away after about a year and is more or less permanently replaced with the (longer) album version.
    I just heard an edited version of the live FB last week on the radio. Never heard it before.

Was that also released as a single?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I can see it now. "A group of crazed Prog rockers rushed a Walgreens today......".
    The older I get, the better I was.

My first real job as a teenager was working in the local Foodtown (a grocery store chain in New Jersey). As I was stocking the shelves, I found myself humming "Won't Get Fooled Again," and while I was a Who fan, I thought it was odd that I just started humming it to myself.

Until I realized the speakers in the store were softly playing a Muzak version of the Who classic!

In my youth, I was horrified that anyone would Muzak up a classic track like that. Now, I'd want to hear it and have it in my collection as an oddity!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Was Just in Kroger grocery store and over the speakers was streaming "From the Beginning" by ELP.....including the Moog solo at the end!!!!!

...wonders never cease !...it made an otherwise boring trip to the supermarket somewhat enjoyable.
    I believe that many establishments are using satellite radio or internet streaming these days....
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I heard something off the 'Emotion and Commotion' release by Jeff Beck last week at my grocery store
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I recall hearing "And You and I" a few years ago at the local grocery.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

...the last time I heard Roundabout in a store prior to this past week, it was the 7" single version at our local Zayre's department store in Wickliffe OH (hometown of Jayne Harrison Kennedy, and Drew Carey Show comedy writer Terry Mulroy to reference another thread) sometime in the late 70's
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Last time I was in Kroger, just a few days ago, the Bent Fabric song 'Alley Cat' came on the PA. That was a favorite of mine as a kid. I still really get a charge out of it, especially when it shows up unexpectedly. If I hear any standouts when I go back in 20 minutes, I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just heard an edited version of the live FB last week on the radio. Never heard it before.

Was that also released as a single?

I've never seen "Freebird" in 7-inch form before. So, I took a looksee across the internet and saw a few examples of that single. So, um, I guess it existed. I wouldn't be too surprised if a substantial percentage of that single in existence were in fact white label radio station singles. People bought the full length version on the album with the long geetar jam, not the abbreviated single with the intro part only!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Was Just in Kroger grocery store and over the speakers was streaming "From the Beginning" by ELP...

Well, I've definitely heard quite a bit of ELP in shopping zones over the years -- some a *lot* more often than others. I'm fairly certain that I've heard:

Lucky Man
    From the Beginning
    Hoedown
    C'est La Vie
    Still You Turn Me On
    Fanfare for the Common Man
    I Believe in Father Christmas

AS FOR OTHER BIG NAMES IN PROG emanating from the overhead Musak system, I've heard:

Yes... definitely Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People, and Owner Of A Lonely Heart

Early period Genesis... definitely Follow You Follow Me

Pink Floyd... definitely Money, and probably a couple more from The Wall

Gentle Giant, Hawkwind, Amon Düül II, Gong, Strawbs, Cluster, Ash Ra Tempel, Renaissance, King Crimson, Godley & Creme, Heldon, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jade warrior, David Bedford, Novalis, Henry Cow, The Enid, or Soft Machine... definitely nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I believe that many establishments are using satellite radio or internet streaming these days....

Yes. They also might not realize that they could be skirting the ASCAP/BMI jackasses. They will find out when one those ASCAP/BMI jackasses finally make it by their retail outlet to check on them.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I recall hearing Bowie "Suffragette City" a couple of times blaring out of the Musak overheard speaker during the past several years. I thought it to be a tad racy for an unsuspecting audience -- especially the "wham bam thankyou ma'am" part.

In any case, I'm still awaiting the first Sex Pistols track to offend a Musak overhead speaker at a shopping mall near me.

I heard Stereolab in Lowe's once. And both Yes (your move) and XTC (generals & majors, and 'senses working overtime') in Chase Bank. But most surprising of all, in Chase Bank I heard 'There and Then' by 'Life on Earth' which is a rare offshoot of the Swedish prog Band 'Dungen', and really about as rare as hearing something like Ere G. Or Cirrus Bay for that matter.

I've never seen "Freebird" in 7-inch form before. So, I took a looksee across the internet and saw a few examples of that single. So, um, I guess it existed. I wouldn't be too surprised if a substantial percentage of that single in existence were in fact white label radio station singles. People bought the full length version on the album with the long geetar jam, not the abbreviated single with the intro part only!
    I know there was one version that had the song on side A and the guitar solo section on side B. And I recall reading that when One More From The Road came out, they put that version of Free Bird (which was something like 12 or 13 minutes long) out on a single, unedited, and it managed to chart.

Yes. They also might not realize that they could be skirting the ASCAP/BMI jackasses. They will find out when one those ASCAP/BMI jackasses finally make it by their retail outlet to check on them.
    That happened at the pub I used to work at. We had a jukebox, plus a multi-disc CD player for when no one was playing anything on the jukebox. Anyway, after I'd been working there a few years, a new owner bought the place. A couple months later, he complained about getting a letter from ASCAP informing that he had to pay a fee to play music in the place. I think this was literally the first place he had ever owned (though he had been head chef in a number of hotels and restaurants prior to that), and this was one detail he didn't know about until that very moment.