Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ROSFest- who's going??!!

No doubt- we'd better practice.

^^
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    3 weeks to go.

Banned
    Fri
    May 1
    Mainly cloudy
    63° Lo 47°

Sat.
    May 2
    Sunny and warmer
    73° Lo 46°

Sun
    Mostly cloudy
    72° Lo 44°

I don't know how I missed this thread. I pretty much have the same view as you. As you say "I enjoy the music without obsessing." So maybe you aren't an "anomaly" after all.

Hope to say hello when I see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill0604 View Post
    I don't know how I missed this thread. I pretty much have the same view as you. As you say "I enjoy the music without obsessing." So maybe you aren't an "anomaly" after all.

Hope to say hello when I see you.
    That's reassuring, Bill. Thanks.

Somehow I think I'll be pretty easy to find this year, please say hi!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Banned
    Fri 73, Sat 74, Sun 68, all sunny

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Fri 73, Sat 74, Sun 68, all sunny
    So black t-shirt weather?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Looking forward to your Rosfest review, Ian.

Banned
    Friday
    Plenty of sun
    67° Lo 48°

Saturday
    Partly sunny and warmer
    76° Lo 53°

Sunday
    Mostly sunny
    76° Lo 53°

It's getting warmer

I'll be there. No way I would miss Glass Hammer so close to my home!

Heading out for RoSfest tomorrow! See you soon

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    Heading out for RoSfest tomorrow! See you soon
    Looking forward to seeing you for the first time.

Banned
    Friday
    50% chance of showers until 7PM
    63° Lo 46°

Sat
    Partly sunny and comfortable
    70° Lo 47°

Sun
    Mostly sunny and pleasant
    75° Lo 53°

I have to get up at 5:00am to get a bus from Madison to O'Hare, and I still have to pack, shower & shave before I go to bed.

The shit I put this 70 year old body through for you fuckers.........is probably what's keeping me sane and well.

Will be heading out Friday at 5am
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

As soon as the school buses pull away tomorrow I drive 6 hours to Bath , NY and drive to Gettysburg in the morning via two microbreweries and three brewpubs.

Hit the airport at 10:30AM on Thursday. We like to get there a day early and hang around Gettysburg a bit since it is such a cool area.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I regret that I've never been to ROSfest. I hope people will drink a toast to Yanks this weekend! Have a good time, all.

They ran an in Meromiam (sp?) before Sonus Umbra that includes Yanks and Geezers Kay, very well received.
    Ian

I love RosFest and the diehard fans that have kept this festival going when others have faded into the dust. I do have to say, however, that there is a disturbing trend that seems to get worse every year - the crowd of people that always seems to walk in the door 15 minutes late just as the band onstage is hitting their groove.

Since RosFest moved to the Majestic Theater, staying on schedule has by far become the norm. The theater doors are always open 10 to 15 minutes before the band starts. Why can't people seem to find their way inside and to their seats at least before the band intro is complete?

Friday night was the absolute worst. During Heliopolis, someone who wandered in late that was sitting in the front row decided to stand in the aisle at the front row and have a 5 minute conservation with his long lost buddy he hadn't seen since last year (or since he saw him 15 minutes before at the merch tables upstairs). Here's a hint: if you are standing in the front row, people behind you can't see the stage. Some of us who go to RosFest do buy tickets for the "cheap seats". A little courtesy from those in the front rows would be greatly appreciated.

AstroProg saidI love RosFest and the diehard fans that have kept this festival going when others have faded into the dust. I do have to say, however, that there is a disturbing trend that seems to get worse every year - the crowd of people that always seems to walk in the door 15 minutes late just as the band onstage is hitting their groove.

Since RosFest moved to the Majestic Theater, staying on schedule has by far become the norm. The theater doors are always open 10 to 15 minutes before the band starts. Why can't people seem to find their way inside and to their seats at least before the band intro is complete?

Friday night was the absolute worst. During Heliopolis, someone who wandered in late that was sitting in the front row decided to stand in the aisle at the front row and have a 5 minute conservation with his long lost buddy he hadn't seen since last year (or since he saw him 15 minutes before at the merch tables upstairs). Here's a hint: if you are standing in the front row, people behind you can't see the stage. Some of us who go to RosFest do buy tickets for the "cheap seats". A little courtesy from those in the front rows would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if such a thing as courtesy exists at concerts or ever has. There are aways people who think their good time is better then your good time. There are always people who feel the need to try to talk over the music through the whole show. I never understood this. If you want to talk go outside of the concert area. People pay their hard earned money to watch and listen to the show not you. The standing up part well I attended my first concert at age 16 and found out back then that I like to sit in the seat that is provided for me. Once again I pay good money to see a show and I would like to see the show from my seat. If you feel the need to stand up and dance around go out in aisle against the wall or something or even theater management provide an area for the people who want to do this. Your good time shouldn't infringe on my good time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They ran an in Meromiam (sp?) before Sonus Umbra that includes Yanks and Geezers Kay, very well received.
    Oh yeah, very nice - would love to see it.

Just got back - due to prior commitments I could only see Synesthesia and Glass Hammer. I was really impressed with Synesthesia! I thought the were very tight; picked up their CD at one of the merch tables.

Glass Hammer was a lot of fun as well - I never thought I'd see them live. "3rd Floor" and "If the Sun" were the two standouts to me. They had a few sound issues during the show, but they didn't detract too much. I was very impressed with their young guitarist as well; very reminiscent of Steve Howe - especially on his slide guitar. Suzie was, of course, a real treat to hear sing. She has such a crisp voice; it just cuts through everything. I wanted to pick up a copy of Steve's book ask him to sign it after the show, but the line was pretty crazy so I just pick up 5 CD's (to replace ones I had to sell off in a divorce :/ ) and a couple of T-Shirts for my wife and I.

I'd be interested to hear a quick review of the bands I didn't see from anyone who was there for the whole weekend. I read that Spock's Beard tore the house down, so I'm pissed I couldn't make Friday night.

Side note: There was a little hippie shop across the street called Subterranean Soul that was pretty cool; lots of great clothes and knick-knacks with a real 60's/70's vibe. I don't understand why they closed at 4:30 though; I would have stayed open until the festival ended. They'll never get a better potential customer base!

Got home last night (skipped Enchant to come home and get ahead on laundry, etc.).

I really enjoyed the festival. In truth, not many of the band were really my thing but I knew that going in: I do think they were all excellent picks and clearly the crowd loved them. From my semi-skewed viewpoint then:

• Spock's Beard, Synaesthesia, Sonus Umbra and Glass Hammer were the strongest performers. Great energy and enthusiasm.
    • Abel Ganz were, believe it or not, the most musically interesting to me. Reminded me of everything from Popul Vuh to "Philip Glass scoring music for Dire Straits." It was far too mellow overall and I nodded off more than once. Still ended up buying some of their music though.
    • Haken put on the best show Dream Theater has done in several years, and it was great to see Jordan Rudess up there, with a full set of hair, rocking his keytar.
    • The other bands simply weren't my bag; they all did what they did really well (one left-nameless band needs to learn how to work their backing tracks/laptop a bit better...can't break the 4th wall like that, guys) and the crowd enjoyed them all lots. So, super happy for them and their successes.

From the crowd perspective, the fest was damn well-organized. Everything stayed close to on time, very few hiccups in that regard. Sound was excellent, lighting terrific. George, Krista and crew are really doing an awesome job, so top props to them.

Nice to see many folks from PE there, had many terrific conversations with great folks. Easily the highlight of my weekend, spending time with various friends and faces and catching up on the past year.

Strong poignant moment during the Saturday show when they took 15 to pay tribute to some of the regulars who passed on. Yanks was there along with a few folks I didn't know...Geezer's Kay was there and it was lovely to see a nice round of applause from the audience as her pics came up. Sad that this had to be done, but IMHO handled really really well and with great respect & appreciation. So again: well done RF
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com