Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The USB stick I was presented with

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    remember (old fogeys alert!!!) when we did mix tapes and passed them on? anyway…

Attachment 5007
    Mix tapes were an abomination!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the Brown is ok (not great) and only if you can put up with horrid prehistoric Drum machine
    the Byrne is not his best
    the Embryo is great
    Giant you know
    the Wobbles are all interesting and have great pieces
    the Emerson is not great, but none of his solo stuff is
    the O'Hearn is really nice mello stuff
    the Triumvirate is not their best but they were never really great to begin with
    Thanks for the response... I really liked that Arthur Brown actually! I'll let you know when I've heard the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Great to hear! I'd recommend the earlier 'Once Again' album if you want a studio release.

This is a really random selection of stuff! But there is some appeal in that, not knowing what's going to turn up next. I don't know that particular ADII album but their early stuff is great. I don't know anything past 'Wolf City'.
    Yeah, I have - and love - Phallus Dei, Yeti, Tanz Der Lemmings, Carnival In Babylon and Wolf City. All are the reissue CDs from Revisited Records/Inside Out about ten years ago... some of my favourite Krautrock stuff actually! This guy did warn me that these Amon Duul titles were not anything like the early stuff. Being a vinyl lover and collector, I think he likes the obscure titles from some of these bands as much as the well-known titles. And he also mentioned that it was indeed a random mixture of stuff. As I do have such a huge music collection already, I think it was hard for him to assemble stuff I'd never heard, but aside from the Gentle Giant he succeeded!

As for the BJH, I only have Gone To Earth, which I bought years ago purely based on the fact that I loved the song "Hymn" so much. It's time to finally start exploring their extensive catalog, and Live is at the top of the list! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to that last night.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I'm more surprised that both USB and MP3 have been mentioned on a progressiveears thread...
    .WAV, not .MP3.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    remember (old fogeys alert!!!) when we did mix tapes and passed them on? anyway…
    I made many a mix tape. Friends and potential girlfriends often received them from me, complete with track titles/lengths and liner notes done in multi-coloured pen. I put way too much effort in, and I still like to make CDRs for people, despite those already being considered obsolete. I'm forever trying to turn people on to new music.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Still shagged her though.
    A happy ending then.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have just ordered the BJH live album (it's remastered, hopefully not badly done but I'll enjoy having it either way), along with that recent Renaissance '73 live disc while I was at it! Really looking forward to playing it properly on my system (vinyl-sourced .WAV files are not really my scene).

I think my pal will be pleased to hear that his efforts have already led to a sale.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A happy ending then.
    Assuming that's where it actually ended.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I haven't spun any Julian Cope in a long while, but there was a time that he was on that infernal "auto buy" list that causes so much grief!

His albums can be pretty much all hit and miss at the same time, quality control not being his watch-words, but I really used to enjoy both Peggy Suicide and Jehovakill the best. His popper / rockier tunes on St Julian are fun too, and of the earlier albums both Fried and World Shut Your Mouth are interesting and yet acquired tastes. There's a bunch of others that I have, and one day I'll find time to explore them again.

I loved the early Teardrop Explodes too.

Just to save the trouble, the best song on the entire USB is "My Friend the Sun" by Family.

Manfred Mann-The Good Earth

One of their best, imo. Love MM's Moog playing.

On the subject of Julian Cope, while not a view shared by many, I think his album 20 Mothers is fantastic. I was baffled by the negative response it received at the time of its release. It was as if everyone was 'Cope-d out'.
    Agree with the above comment though. When he's great, he's sublime but his albums can be a bit patchy.