Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I went to high school with....

My wife went to school with Daryl Hall.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just remembered one - Kyra Sedgewick (Mrs. Kevin Bacon) though she was a few years younger than me. We also used a cook for a while that they used.

I've known Tim Shannon since we were 5 or 6 years old. He was in several of my classes between first and 12th grade. From 2010-13 he was Mayor of his/my hometown, Millville, NJ. Also, I knew and played organized baseball with Mike Trout's uncle, Kevin Trout.

that's about the the best I can do. Shannon is the one in the blue shirt w/tie & goatee.

http://m.giants.mlb.com/sf/video/v32...-trouts-return

Knew a few athletes in college (Syracuse U):

Tim Green
    Roney Seikaly
    Derrick Coleman

Tim Green was in an English class with me, and was a very smart guy.

I went to school with Michael Jackson, not the famous one. He was too old to play basketball in school and I believe he stabbed his wife to death. My neighbor who I graduated with helped to develop the insulin pump, and probably many other medical gadgets. I was told when he retired they gave him 10 million dollars.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Thought of another one. When he was 14 and I was 13, I was in a teenage summer stock theater company with Al Kooper (too much musical history to post it all, but he was already in the ("Short Shorts") Royal Teens at 14!).

When we did "The King And I", he was the King of Siam, and I played his confidant/houseboy Kralahome. A few years ago, I somehow got Kooper's email and asked him if he remembered 1958 in Moodus, CT at Camp Shadybrook (theater/acting camp) and the younger kid who, at the time, was the 2nd best singer there (to his 1st) and acted with him in that play. He did respond.

He remembered Camp Shadybrook.

He remembered "The King And I".

He had absolutely no memory of me specifically.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My nephew, Ben Eager, was in the NHL for eight years and won the Stanley Cup with Chicago. He's now playing in the AHL.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My nephew, Ben Eager, was in the NHL for eight years and won the Stanley Cup with Chicago. He's now playing in the AHL.
    But did you go to high school with him?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wonder if she is related to Edith Sedgewick? Edie. Warhols superstar socialite?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just remembered one - Kyra Sedgewick (Mrs. Kevin Bacon) though she was a few years younger than me. We also used a cook for a while that they used.
    See post above.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    But did you go to high school with him?
    I know, took some liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I know, took some liberties.
    So did I, Greg.

Remember, there's the letter of the OP's thread, and also the spirit of the OP's thread.

We're spirit people.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    She's some kind of cousin of hers.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

We're spirit people.
    I hear you bro!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Is that whiskey or vodka?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Both! You couldn't tell.

As I said in the Joan Jett thread, I went to High School with J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. We were in Jazz Workshop together where he played drums and I played bass. He was a grade or so behind me, so I didn't know him that well, but our mothers were friends so we were sort of friends. I was also friends with Charlie Nakajima who played with J in Deep Wound, J's pre-Dinosaur Jr. band, and "Murph" from Dinosaur Jr, who sort of hung around with our crew for a while in late high school.

I met a guy in college in roughly 1983/1984 named Chris Devine who was an excellent musician, classicaly trained violinist, and who was also very into rock and Prog. His girlfriend worked at Greenfield High School, and wanted to do something speical for her students. So recrutied Chris to put together some rock tunes on guitar and vocals, and he recruited me to play bass for a gig at the high school. But we needed a drummer, so he asked me if I knew anyone, and I knew J was still around (probably in his senior year of HS, or just graduated). So I asked him if he would do it, which he did. So it was the three of us up there for an hour playing various Zeppelin, Vah Halen, what-have-you rock tunes. I had fun, but J was obviously not into it and split right after the gig. I think that's the last time I ever talked to him.

Chris and I would up forming a pseudo Prog band that played for a few years in Western MA before being clubbed to death in the Prog unfriendly 80s. Chris later wound up playing in Blackmore's Night and can be heard on their Fires at Midinght album. I guess I'm the only one in that short lived trio that didn't "make it" in music.

Bill

No one really famous, but I went to high school (and was in a band with) a guy who was among some of the very first Blue Man guys. He has stayed on with them for years, training some of the newer people as they came in, has been in some commercials and various television appearances, has traveled around the world working on various Blue Man groups, etc. His brother also got involved working backstage. The drummer in our band also became a Blue Man and has done some soundtrack composing (for some obscure films) in recent years. And also a couple of kids from our town joined the Blue Man Group, I presume via connections with my friend.

The only other high school person I can think of is notorious as a murderer. He killed a young girl...his niece I think. Really sick bastard. He played guitar in high school for a while and had a sweet Gibson SG. Me and some other guys used to jam with him. Or mostly they did until I came along and replaced him. I'm probably lucky to be alive.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-19-2015 at 08:50 AM.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I guess I'm the only one in that short lived trio that didn't "make it" in music.

Bill
    I'm sure there are some of us that prefer what you do to anything they're doing...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm sure there are some of us that prefer what you do to anything they're doing...
    That''s very nice to hear, thank you!

I was just making a little joke. I'm actually super happy with what I've done with music in my life. I'd have never wanted to make the sacrifices and compromises to be a professional musician. As it is, I do exactly what I want with music. It's a great "serious hobby." I respect what J did, it took perseverence, sacrifice and drive that belie his "slacker" persona. But it wasn't the life for me.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That''s very nice to hear, thank you!

I was just making a little joke. I'm actually super happy with what I've done with music in my life. I'd have never wanted to make the sacrifices and compromises to be a professional musician. As it is, I do exactly what I want with music. It's a great "serious hobby." I respect what J did, it took perseverence, sacrifice and drive that belie his "slacker" persona. But it wasn't the life for me.

Bill
    I realized you were joking, just wanted to point out you still got to make some cool music. I completely understand keeping music as a hobby. I am quite glad not to have pursued music to that level (although whenever I pick up my guitar or bass I wish I'd put more into in than I have, lol).
    <sig out of order>

Not in my high school, but the one a few towns over, was where Verne Troyer (a.k.a. Mini-Me) graduated from. I have HS friends who are good real-life friends with him.

My cousins went to school with Rick Mirer, the Notre Dame QB who didn't quite pan out in the NFL.

re: Kyra Sedgwick

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    According to Wikipedia, first cousin once removed. I remember when I first heard of her in the early 90's, I wondered the same thing, but it only just now occurred to me to Wiki her and find out. Kyra's half brother is guitarist Mike Stern, btw, and one of her ancestors signed the Declaration Of Independence.

Though she is many years younger than I, (meaning: I never saw or met her) the talk show host Wendy Williams went to my High School long after I graduated.

I went to high school with a nephew of Franklin Chang, the Costa Rican-American mechanical engineer, physicist and former NASA astronaut.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.