Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meshuggah

Meshuggah

Anyone here listen to Meshuggah?

If so, which albums do you like?

Apropos Nothing: Do you prefer the remix?

The second half of this song made me a fan. Great solo by Fred. What was your gateway drug?

Chalk one up for the Scandinavian educational system or something.

ObZen remains my fave, but Catch 33 and Chaosphere are solid as well.

However, I probably enjoy Thorden's Sol Niger Within a bit more than any of the "regular" 'shugs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Catch Thirtythree was my entry and it and the I EP remain my favorites followed closely by ObZen and Nothing (original mix). Koloss and Chaosphere would be on the next rung down. I haven't listened to Contradictions Collapse or Destroy Erase Improve nearly as much. I really dig the Alive DVD as well, but haven't seen The Ophidian Trek.

I is my favourite release, love catch 33 too. So repetitive but not repetitive if you know what I mean.

Some good journal papers on them too.

Too thrashy for my taste. In this area of extreme metal I prefer Dark Tranquillity.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

ObZen for me. Although any given day I could listen to Chaosphere, I. Catch 33.

I too like Thorndendahl's Sol Niger Within and highly recommend it for this crowd.

As for too Thrashy?? I'm perplexed as I don't hear a grunt of Thrash here.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

The monotonous aspect of it.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Entrance: I
    Favorite: Chaosphere
    Nothing: Remix
    Sol Niger Within: Fantastic.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'd been meaning to dip my toe into Meshuggah's stuff for months, and I finally jumped in last week and downloaded (legally) the following songs as a compilation based on their recent 25th anniversary shows:

1. Future Breed Machine (Destroy Erase Improve)
    2. obZen (obZen)
    3. The Hurt that Finds You First (Koloss)
    4. Do Not Look Down (Koloss)
    5. Cadaverous Mastication (Contradictions Collapse)
    6. Greed (Contradictions Collapse)
    7. Gods of Rapture (Bonus track on Contradictions Collapse)
    8. Neurotica (Chaosphere)
    9. New Millennium Cyanide Christ (Chaosphere)
    10. Stengah (Nothing re-recorded)
    11. Bleed (obZen)
    12. Demiurge (Koloss)
    13. Straws Pulled at Random (Nothing re-recorded)
    14. In Death - Is Life (Catch 33)
    15. In Death - Is Death (Catch 33)

Quite an interesting selection, chosen across all of their albums. I already had the original 'I' ep so I knew what I was letting myself in for, but even so, 15 tracks is bit exhausting to listen to all in one sitting. For me the tracks from Koloss stood out in terms of sound - bass and drums had more thump in them than on earlier albums, which could be a little thin in places. Worth exploring as a band if you like metal that is genuinely progressive and boundary breaking (in Meshuggah's case pounding the boundary into submission...

enjoy I. The rest of their catalog I never found myself wanting to go back to. A bit too dense and monotonous. Their drummer Thomas Haake is a beast though.

i can take about two songs before it's like, enough, great. i feel the same about all these downtuned to the nth Djent acts.

I dig the band. Tremendous musicians. This is one of those band where you KNOW there is some shit going on there once you get behind the vocals. I invested in getting more of their work, But unfortunately the vocals burn me out quickly. They're frikkin intense live!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    unfortunately the vocals burn me out quickly.
    Definitely. I think this is why None and Destroy Erase Improve are the ones I've always listened to most. Give me shouting over the ridiculous fake-muppety stuff any day.

Nothing was best in its original form. I never liked the remix.

I got into the band with Destroy Erase Improve but I think I'd have to put ObZen at the top of the list for me. "Bleed"...geez...

I've heard bits of Sol Niger Within but I can't say it made much of an impression on me.

A band that does precisely one thing but does it with an almost monastic commitment.

NP: Spock's Beard Snow

chalkpie
    ObZen
    Catch 33
    Sol Niger Within
    Chaospere

Love all of them. I transcribed a tune on Catch 33 (just the time sigs) one time and realized how intense these guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Nothing was best in its original form. I never liked the remix.
    I generally agree, except for the last two songs (Nebulous & Obsidian). Nebulous in particular is a bit slower & sounds even more majestic.

Just a bit of linguistic trivia, how many of you already knew that meshugga means crazy; senseless in Yiddish? And that a messugeneh is a crazy fool?

I thought it meant madness, crazy. Broad stroke.

I thought it meant madness, crazy.
    ???? What? That's what I said: crazy, senseless.
    Last edited by PeterG; 02-19-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    I generally agree, except for the last two songs (Nebulous & Obsidian). Nebulous in particular is a bit slower & sounds even more majestic.
    Hmmm, I can partly see that. My issues with the remix were the increased prominence of the (even shittier) vocals and the de-emphasizing of everything but the guitars. For "Obsidian" at least, those things wouldn't be flaws.

yup...for some strange reason, i (schwartz) knew that.

now, let's see if we can get this thread to be morph into one about "megilla gorilla"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ???? What? That's what I said: crazy, senseless.
    I was agreeing with you!

I used to listen to Meshuggah a lot more than I do now -- curiously though I listen to a LOT more metal now. Meshuggah are almost a hybrid band, because even though their intensity and vocal style are clearly coming from metal, their compositions and playing style is kind of one-of-a-kind. I agree w the poster above regarding "thrashy", especially on their earliest stuff. Basically, they came out of death metal and thrash in the late 80s, early 90s, and to my ears today, that's the aspect of their sound I like most. Otherwise, they tend to play up their (poly)rhythmic aspect too much, and their music all kind of runs together. Very technical, precise, but these days, I associate their sound with an almost clinical, zero-sum experience.

I was agreeing with you!
    Oh right, sorry. Bloody internet, not being able to hear intonation is a true problem

The only stuff I can listen to for more than 10 minutes is from Sol Niger Within...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!